- Making an appointment
- About your appointment
- Billing and Insurance
- Your Rights and Privacy
Billing and Insurance
Health Care Reform & Affordable Care Act
Eligibility: Students who have paid the University Health fees are eligible to utilize Student Health Services (SHS). Office visits are subsidized by the health fees. Students must present a valid student ID at each visit. Spouses of enrolled students may use the SHS; please contact the office for current fee schedule.
SHS Fees: Charges are incurred for the following:
- Ancillary services such as laboratory, x-ray, prescriptions, minor surgery, immunization, wart treatment and allergy injections.
- Physical examinations for pre-employment, pre-operative, FAA (flight), women's and men's annual exam.
All charges are billed through Student Account Services and identified on your student account as a "Student Health Service" charge. Insurance claims will be filed for those individuals providing health insurance information at their visit(s). Pharmacy claims will also be filed for participating insurance plans. Any balance remaining after insurance payment is the responsibility of the student.
Please present your current health insurance card at each and every visit at SHS to ensure accurate billing.
Students are strongly encouraged to have health insurance coverage in the event of a health care crisis.
- International students are required by the state of North Dakota to purchase health insurance.
- Many students are eligible to stay on their family health insurance program. Consult your insurance provider to determine if this option is available to you. Due to new insurance laws, most young adults can stay on their parent's family plan until they turn 26. The Department of Health & Human Services Facebook page has more information for students and parents regarding the new laws.
- Students also have the option of subscribing to the Student Health Insurance Policy available through the North Dakota University System.
North Dakota University System Student Health Insurance Policy
STUDENT BLUE ENROLLMENT DATES:
- Fall Semester Effective Date (General Students) = August 16th, 2013
- Fall Semester Effective Date (International Students and Fall Athletes) = August 1st, 2013
- Enrollment Dates: July 16 to September 30th
Student Blue is the health insurance plan for UND students. The North Dakota University System and Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Dakota worked together to build a plan that fits the lifestyle and budget of college students.
If students would like to complete the enrollment process into Student Blue, they can also call the BCBS of ND Member Service Department at 1-877-585-7551 and give them checking/saving account information and they can electronically withdraw monthly premium from their account. The deduction from student's account will be the following week.
The only time students can enroll off the above enrollment dates is if they have had a lifestyle change;
- Loss of coverage due to no fault of your own
- Turning age 26, coming off your parents health plan
- Reduction in hours at work, or loss of job
StudentBlueND.com has all the details.
Here are some highlights:
- Affordable coverage starts at $62.50 a month for one student
- Single, Single Plus Dependent, Two-Party Adult and Family coverage available
- Coverage available for domestic partners under Two-Party or Family coverage, same or opposite gender+
- Year-round coverage, including breaks, from a trusted health insurance provider
- Contraceptive services and routine physicals covered at 100%*
- Flu shots and most other immunizations covered at 100%*Coverage for intercollegiate sports injuries
- Only a $25 copay for office visits
- Only a $10 copay for generic prescription drugs
- Free access to Healthy Blue, an online wellness tool you can find at HealthyBlueND.com
Already on your parents' insurance?
Give your parents a heads-up about Student Blue. Tell them to visit StudentBlueND.com to view exactly what's included – it's worth the comparison!
Domestic Students – Enroll Online
If you're ready now, enroll today at StudentBlueND.com. UND undergraduate students must be enrolled in 7 or more credits to be eligible for Student Blue coverage. Graduate students must be enrolled in 3 or more credits to be eligible. Student Blue is for students under the age of 65.
International students are automatically enrolled in Student Blue unless they provide evidence of health insurance coverage through another source.
*100% of the allowed charge with BCBS participating providers
+Domestic partners are defined as another adult you've lived with continuously for the past year and with whom you share living expenses. They can be the same or opposite gender but not related by blood.
For more information, contact the Student Blue Grand Forks District Office at 701.795.5340, American Office Park, 2810 19th Ave S., Grand Forks, ND 58201-5957, stop in at Student Health Services to pick up a brochure, or click on the informational booklet below. To request more information online: StudentBlueND.com.
There is more information about health care that is available to you through SHS.
Health Care Reform & Affordable Care Act
Health Care Reform Brochures:
Learn how to get help with your Marketplace application. Visit LocalHelp.HealthCare.gov to find help in your area.
Health Insurance Subsidy Calculator - This tool illustrates health insurance premiums and subsidies for people purchasing insurance on their own in new health insurance exchanges (or "Marketplaces") created by the Affordable Care Act (ACA). Beginning in October 2013, middle-income people under age 65, who are not eligible for coverage through their employer, Medicaid, or Medicare, can apply for tax credit subsidies available through state-based exchanges.