Deans for Wellness Initiative
The Associate Provost, Steven Light challenged each of the 10 Deans to lead a wellness program for their employees (and/or students) to highlight their interest in enhancing the quality of life for staff and faculty so that we can give our best to our UND students.
Below is a summary of the 2012-2013 programs and new 2013-2014 programs are forthcoming.
Dean Kathleen Tiemann, College of Arts and Sciences
Total employees: 390 including 40 part-time lecturers
- The Dean's office organized a Potato Feed Appreciation lunch and bean bag toss to encourage social and physical wellness on September 10, 2012 and 110 participants attended.The Dean held "Tee-off with Tiemann" at the UND golf course and 14 staff and faculty joined her that afternoon (physical and social wellness).
- Dean Tiemann hosted a Super-BOWL Challenge for employees from February 11-March 10th, 2013 to track physical activity (steps) and 7-dimensional wellness activities to earn "bowling pins". (All wellness dimensions). A total of 33 employees at the College participated. The program ended with a celebration of an actual bowling game on March 25th, 2013 with 21 attendees.
Dean Kathryn Rand, Law School
Total Employees: 50 (30 full time)
- The Dean encouraged staff, faculty, students and family members to participate in the Green Gallop Homecoming Race: 5K, 10K or 1.5 mile Family walk/run (physical and social wellness). This event was on Sunday, October 14th, 2012 and there were 9 total participants. Dean Rand gave $50 back to the Law School for every staff and faculty and $25 for each student who participated.
- Staff and faculty also won the February 1, 2013 National Wear Red Day photo contest for "Healthiest Looking Bunch" and celebrated with a fruit and yogurt parfait party from Work Well on April 12, 2013.
Watch the promotional video !
Dean Hesham El-Rewini, College of Engineering and Mines
Total Employees: 80-100
- Sent an e-mail to all staff and faculty to participate in wellness activities offered to enhance their quality of life (December 2012);
- Provided 2 wellness seminars (repeated twice) to all staff and faculty on "Healthy Eating Out" and "UND Wellness benefits" (January and February 2013);
- A total of 13 employees attended the "Healthy Eating Out" program.
- A total of 31 employees attended the "UND Wellness Benefits" program.
- Is providing ergonomic assessments for all departments in the college as a collaboration with the Safety and Environmental Health department; 2012-2013).
- As of May 13, 2013, a total of 53 employees have participated in the assessment from eight departments.
- Provided chair massage on February 7th and February 13th from 11am-3pm in the Jodsaas Conference Center for the College staff and faculty for emotional wellness.
- A total of 54 employees participated in this activity (there was duplication of participants).
Dean Denise Korniewicz, College of Nursing and Professional Disciplines
Total Employees:108 staff and faculty
Dean "K". hosted "Dancing with Denise" for staff and faculty of the College of Nursing and Professional Disciples to get their groove on and have some fun.
- The event occurred on February 19th from 3-6pm and 45 staff and faculty attended
- The Lovely Dozen belly Dancers interacted with the crowd
- Healthy snacks were provided
- Staff and faculty learned line dancing.
Dean Dennis Caine, College of Education and Human Development
Total Employees: 90 (60 faculty, 30 staff)
The Dean of the College of Education and Human Development welcomed everyone on campus (staff, faculty and students) to attend the Deans for Wellness Initiative Lecture series.
The audience did physical movement during each session.
Each Lecture occurred at the Education Building – Room 113 from 12-12:50pm and topic included:
- January 23rd: Dr. James Whitehead, "Fitness and Health: Quackery and Fraud"
- Video not available
- 20 attendees
- Feb. 20th: Dr. Sandra Short, "Couponing: A Contribution to Financial Wellness" (21 attendees)
- Watch the video of this program.
- 21 attendees
- March 20th: Dr. Tanis Hastmann, "Obesity Prevention: Individual to Community, and Beyond".
- Click here to watch recording.
- 6 attendees
- April 10th: Dr. Sarah Edwards, "Lifelong Mental Well-Being".
- Click here to watch the recorded program.
- 10 attendees
- May 1st: Dr. Lars Helgeson, "The Effects of Stress and Stress Reduction".
- Click here to listen to the program.
- 13 attendees
Dean Dennis Elbert, College of Business & Public Administration
Total Employees: 125 Faculty and Staff
The Dean's office planned a Wellness Week for employees with a wellness activity daily.
The events included:
- Monday, March 18th, 2013: Workplace wellness seminar and chair massages. UND closed for a snow day, so programs were canceled.
- Tuesday, March 19th, 2013: Gentle Yoga and Yogurt with Tammy Magness. A total of 4 people attended.
- Wednesday, March 20th, 2013: Healthy Lifestyles Workshop presented by Dustin Frize from Dining Services and a healthy lunch was included. Eight employees attended.
- Thursday, March 21st, 2013: A stress management workshop was provided by Dr. Stephanie Freed from the Counseling Center and 6 employees attended.
- Friday, March 22nd, 2013: "Cycle with the Dean" occurred at the YMCA Family Center with Dean Denny Elbert. Four employees attended.
Dean Cara Halgren, Dean of Students & Division of Student Affairs
Total Employees: 310 staff
Dean Cara Halgren has a tiny staff in the Deans of Students office, so outreached to the Division of Student Affairs through Dr. Lori Reesor. The professional development committee representing multiple departments provided a 4 week At-Work-Wellness challenge (mid-March through mid-April) to encourage both daily 15 minutes of cardiovascular activity and multi-dimensional wellness activity each day of the week using a BINGO theme.
A total of 58 participated in at least one week and 19 participating in all four weeks.
The challenge culminated with a speed bingo banquet with fruit and yogurt parfaits and 25 people attended on April 29th, 2013.
Dean Josh Wynne, School of Medicine and Health Sciences
Total Employees: 200 employees in Grand Forks.
Students, faculty, staff and community members joined the Dean for "Joggin' with Josh", an informal 5K or 10K walk, jog or run that was held on September 11th, 2012 at 4:30pm. This is an event to advocate for healthful lifestyles and participants received free t-shirts.
100 students and community members and six faculty and staff attended this social and physical wellness event.
Associate Dean Paul Lindseth, College of Aerospace
Total Employees: 434 employees (over 600 flight instructors are employees but not full time).
Aviation professor, Tom Zeidlik provided CPR/AED certification class at the Odegard School. It was held on March 19th and 22 employees attended.
Dean Wayne Swisher, Graduate School
Total Employees: 16 staff
The Dean held a staff retreat at the UND Wellness Center on July 9th and all 16 employees attended. The Deans for Wellness program included a presentation from the Dining Services dietitian to review the healthy lunch that was served and general nutrition information about whole grains, such as quinoa and Healthy Plate.