- Health Screenings
- Get Moving Challenge
- Gratitude Campaign
- Healthy Department
- Deans for Wellness
- Zen in 10
- Special Events
- Wellness Spotlight
- Health Incentive Vouchers
- Stress Busting
- Employee Assistance Program
- Fitness Center Reimbursement
- Expecting & Mothering
- Walking Paths
Prepare for extremely cold weather every winter – especially here in the northern plains...it’s always a possibility! It’s important to prepare yourself, your family, your home and car for the extreme cold.
Take These Steps for Your Home:
- Keep an emergency supply tote updated yearly: EXAMPLE
- Keep several days’ supply of food, water and medicines on hand.
- Make sure your thermometer, smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector are up to date and have fresh batteries.
- Check your heating systems professionally, inspect and clean fireplaces and chimneys
Don’t Forget to Prepare Your Car:
- Keep a winter survival kit in your car: EXAMPLE
- Make sure antifreeze level is full.
- Use wintertime mixture for your windshield-wiper fluid.
- Replace any worn tires and check the air pressure regularly.
- Keep the gas tank full to avoid ice in the tank and fuel lines.
Take These Precautions Outdoors:
- Wear appropriate outdoor clothing: EXAMPLE
- Carry a cell phone and take a buddy when participating in outdoor recreation.
- Sprinkle cat litter or sand on icy patches.
Do This When You Plan to Travel:
- Avoid traveling when the weather service has issued advisories.
- If you must travel, inform a friend or relative of your route and expected time of arrival
- If you become stranded:
- Stay with your vehicle and stay visible by putting a bright cloth on the antenna.
- Run the engine and heater only 10 minutes every hour.
- Make sure the tailpipe is not blocked and keep a downwind window open.