Get your FREE ergonomic assessment!
Our posture at our desks can have a profound effect on our day-to-day body functioning and can lead to chronic health issues including repetitive muscle strain or other preventable health risks if not corrected.
UND's Office of Safety offers free 1:1 ergonomic assessments to address your unique needs. Contact the Office of Safety at: 701-777-3226 to schedule an appointment.
Ergotron Sit-Stand Units at UND!
Thanks to Ergotron's Uprising Program, UND received 20 sit-stand units that allow your keyboard and monitor(s) to adjust up allowing you to stand while on the job to reduce sedentary behavior.
Considerations for Purchasing
• Current desk space. When we first received the units, some didn't fit into the space. The units are large and can present visibility issues, especially the WorkFit S units that just move up and down. For those who need to see customers/guests regularly, this unit may not be best.
• Visit a current unit. You may not know the pros and cons of each unit until you see and talk to some who has one. The below tab marked: "Units on Campus to Visit" will give you the units and locations.
• You will need funds. Start with your department lead/chair or supervisor to ask to be considered. The units average $500 each. We have worked with Business Essentials at a $39 installation rate.
• Other equipment needed. You will need to make sure to get certain cables and work with the information technology folks prior to installation. Typical needs were: a 10 foot DVI and VGA cable, 6 foot USB extenders, and a 6-10 ft. multi-plug extension cord. Also, zip ties were helpful to get wires more organized. Additionally, after some people stood for long periods of time, they felt a floor mat helped them with comfort.
• If you are uncertain if the unit may help you, contact the UND Office of Safety for an ergonomic assessment.
Purchase and Installation Information
Although we received a promotion directly from Ergotron, they use outside vendors for product sales. Locally, we have used this company:
Business Essentials, #701-775-5503, email@example.com. The costs of installation is: $39.
Likely Gaffneys and Norbys have options too.
Here are the codes you would need for the standard purchases:
|Equipment (all have suspended keyboard and workspace)||Value||Part #|
|Workfit A Dual (side/back mount)||$519.00||24-392-026|
|Workfit S Dual (front mount)||$499.00||33-349-200|
|Workfit A Single monitor (side/back mount)||$499.99||24-390-026|
|Workfit S Single monitor (front mount)||$479.00||33-350-200|
|Tall User kit for Workfit Dual||$45.00||24-220-055|
Other Installation details.
UND Facilities Management – send in a work order. So far, the costs to transfer was around $85 and full installation was $185 in spring 2014, but rates may vary.
Can take 1.5 hour or longer for installation.
Units on Campus to Visit
Note that the information is from June 2014 and to please contact the person first before stopping by the offices.
Photos and Video
Photos coming soon!
"I truly enjoy the Ergotron sit-stand unit. It is the best thing since Santa Claus and Cotton Candy and it doesn't get better than that. The installer was very knowledgeable and installed the unit in a very timely manner. I have been saying for years that I wished we could stand and work and my wish was granted." - Connie Jones, UND staff member
"A sincere 'thank you!' to Ergotron to be able to try out the sit-stand desk! It's a great tool to lose those mid-afternoon slumps!" - Emily Goodoien, UND staff member
"I think that Ergotron is a very useful tool in my office. It is extremely easy to use devise and definitely helps increase productivity as I am now able to sit/stand and work at my convenience. Overall I am extremely satisfied with Ergotron and would recommend this device to anyone who is concerned with long term health issues because of constant sitting at the desk. I think this is very well designed device and is very easy to use and all the staff in my office have stopped by to try it." - Rohit Kulkarni, UND Staff Member
"Thank you for providing these units to UND. I feel they will improve many workstations for staff and will benefit them in many ways- comfort, physical, and productivity." - Lisa Heher, UND Staff Member
"The Ergotron sit-stand unit is great! I feel a lot more energetic at work. I love being able to stand while using my computer. I also get a great view looking out my window! I am so much happier working in my office now. I stand for much of the day and take sit 'breaks' as needed." - Karen Katrinak UND, Staff Member
"I love my Ergotron sit/stand station! It is everything I had hoped it would be. I feel better in my shoulders and elbows. Even my back feels better. Having the opportunity to stand and work at times really is making a difference for me!" - Joanne Barstad, UND Staff Member
View this report . It yielded a 2% premium reduction in Risk Management from the state of North Dakota.
This program was possible through the Uprising Program through Ergotron (link to their page).
If you are interested in being considered for a future sit-stand unit, please contact the folks below.
Office of Safety
Kim Ruliffson, MPA
Coordinator of Work Well