- What is Honors?
- First Year Courses
- Apply to the Honors Program
- Tuition Waivers
- Honors Program Goals
- Honors Student For A Day
- Transfer Student Information
- Honors Program Requirements
- Honors Courses
- Joining HPSO
- Advisement Process
- Weekly UPDATES
Brian James Schill
As the Honors Program's Undergraduate Research Coordinator I primarily assist seniors with their Senior Honors Theses, helping them transition out of undergraduate study and typically into graduate or professional school. I also teach several courses each semester and am involved in undergraduate research initiatives across campus. My academic and research interests include Literary Theory and Criticism, Media Studies, and issues in Healthcare history, policy, and administration.
Publications and Presentations
- "'I Could've Been Raskolnikov': Punk Reads Dostoevsky." Forthcoming in Punk & Post Punk , 2013.
- "The Subject of Shame: The Politics of Punk Fiction." Forthcoming in Arizona Quarterly , 2013.
- "The Superego State: A Lover's Reply." Prairie Schooner 86:3 (Fall 2012), 85-105.
- "Nothing Is Permitted Anymore: Postanrchism, Gnosticism, and the End of Production." Anarchist Studies 20:1 (Spring 2012), 9-31.
- "Cheerleading for 'Abusive' Mascots." Extra! 23:7 (July 2010), 14-15. Available online here: http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=4170.
- "Postanarchism and the End of Production." Presentation to the 2010 Southwest/Texas Popular & American Culture Association National Conference in Albuquerque, NM, 11 Feb. 2010.
- "The Impossibility of Negation: A Theoretical Defense of 'Crossover' Christian Rock." The Journal of Religion and Popular Culture 16:2 (Summer 2007). Available online here: http://www.usask.ca/relst/jrpc/articles16.html.
- "God's Chosen Heathens." Clamor 23 (November/December 2003): 56-60.
- "June Panic." Punk Planet 57 (September/October 2003): 64-66.
Interdisciplinary Courses Developed (Partial List)
- Honors 101 - "American Identity" and "The Nature of Truth"
- Honors 391 - "Rock and Roll: A History," "The Aesthetics of Punk," "Faith and Doubt"
- Honors 292 - "Anarchism: A Primer"
- Honors 293 - "The Business of Health"
- Honors 392 - "Democracy and the Media" and "The Panopticon"
- Honors 395 - "Honors Prospectus Development"
- Honors 490 - "The University" (An Interdisciplinary Senior Seminar)
- English 110 - Composition I
- English 120 - Composition II ("Writing Science")
- Humanities 308 - "Writing Across the Curriculum: Thesis Writing"
ContactBrian James Schill University of North Dakota Honors Program 370 Oxford Street Stop 7187 Grand Forks, ND 58202-7187 email@example.com
You can email Honors at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reach Honors by phone at (701) 777-2219, or dial 1-800-CALL-UND to avoid long distance charges. Just ask for the Honors Program.