Exceptional UND Insignia
UND Department/Organization Procedures and Policy
Those within the University may use North Dakota names and trademarks, according to established visual and editorial guidelines, for purposes of recruitment, development, or general promotion of the institution and/or group organization. Merchandise or specialty product items, such as t-shirts, pens or ball caps, are subject to promotional agreement and approval by the University.
To ensure the correct procedures are followed, each department/organization must fill out the Trademarks Use Request Form (TURF) before the merchandise or specialty item is approved. The form also serves as a royalty waiver request if the product is to be used internally only. Written requests for royalty waivers may also be sent to the UND Licensing Office.
All exemptions are determined on an individual basis. The form must be filled out and submitted each time product is needed. Merchandise cannot be reproduced on the same request. It is the responsibility of the UND department/organization to ensure the form is filled out correctly.
If your department/organization will be using University of North Dakota names and trademarks, this is the process to be followed:
- Submit the online Trademarks Use Request Form (TURF). The form is reviewed and the department/organization will be notified if the vendor is approved and if royalties are to be charged. If the total order of items will exceed $5,000, you are required to contact the Purchasing Office to obtain competitive pricing.
- The department/organization then works with the vendor on the design. The vendor submits the design for review using Trademarx Online. The UND Licensing Office reviews and approves the design. The vendor then notifies the department/organization of the design approval.
- The department/organization attaches the approved TURF form to chosen form of payment and submits it to UND Accounting Services or department/organization business office.
- All departments/organizations, internal to UND or external, MUST purchase items through a licensed vendor.
- If the department/organization is re-selling the merchandise for a profit- the on-campus organization is required to pay royalties and the organization MUST utilize a company that is licensed to use UND's mark to produce the merchandise. Vendors should factor royalty charge into the price paid by the department/organization.
- If the department/organization is using the merchandise for in-house purposes or for giveaways, the royalties may be waived. The company used MUST be a licensed company.
- All goods bearing North Dakota names and trademarks must be licensed. Review all protected verbiage and marks.
- Each promotional material MUST be approved through retailers and licensees that are licensed through UND. Visit UND Licensed Logo Vendors-Standard Licenses for a list of local retailer and licensees.
It is your responsibility to ensure your department/organization is following these guidelines for merchandising purposes. Contact the UND Licensing Office with any questions or concerns you may have regarding licensing.
Please refer to the Licensing Frequently Asked Questions for more information.