UND Logo System
- DO prominently use logos in all advertising, publications and other University communications.
- DO NOT alter or modify logos.
- ONLY reproduce logos from original master copies.
Primary UND Logotype
The primary UND logotype is the preferred logo design and should be used whenever possible on all advertising, publications and other University communications.
The primary UND logotype consists of two elements:
- The flame logo, which is a graphic rendition of the acronym "UND"
- The University signature with the words "University of North Dakota"
Secondary UND Logos and Marks
Several secondary variations of UND logos and marks are available to meet different design needs.
The vertical UND logotype may be used when:
- Horizontal space is limited, e.g., promotional items, ads
- The UND Logotype must be placed in a grouping of other logos, e.g., sponsorship or partnership listings
The UND flame logo may be used alone when:
- Space is limited, e.g., apparel, promotional items.
- Internal audiences know that UND represents University of North Dakota, e.g., campus signage, flyer for current students.
Do not combine the UND flame logo with other logos or graphics without prior written approval from the UND Design Group.
If the addition of a department or program name is necessary, maintain an appropriate clear zone (at least one inch space or 50% of the height of the UND flame logo), so as not to appear as one composite logo.
Designers may use the UND flame as a stand-alone design element that furthers the UND brand. Although the UND flame is not trademarked or considered to be an official logo by itself, the integrity of the UND flame must be protected as it is an important element of the official UND logotype.
- Acceptable colors: Use only the colors of orange, white, black or gray. The flame may not be recolored or filled using any other colors or images.
- Special effects: Do not modify, distort or apply any special effects to the flame, such as beveling, gradation, embossing, drop shadows, etc.
- Cropping: It is preferred that the flame is not cropped, but if it must be cropped for design purposes, at least 75% of the original flame must be intact.
- Watermarking: The flame may be used as a watermark in the background of a design.
- Lettering: The flame may not be added to letters within words, such as in the letter D. The use of the flame within a letter is reserved exclusively for the UND logotype.
Note: If you want to use the flame in the design of a unique UND logo, you must get prior approval by completing the Unique UND Logo Request Form.
Use the University signature only when the UND flame logo is used prominently elsewhere in the design.
If the UND flame logo is used prominently elsewhere in the design, then the signature or the words "University of North Dakota" written in one of the
preferred typefaces (if space is limited) should be included to identify the University. However, the signature or words should not be combined with the UND flame logo; clear zone guidelines should be followed.
The University seal symbolizes the formal authority vested in the University, and its use is at the sole discretion of the Office of the President with approval from the Office of Marketing & Creative Services.
The University seal is a registered trademark and is reserved for official and ceremonial uses only, such as diplomas, legal documents, commencement programs, policy manuals, formal invitations and certificates/awards.
The University seal should not be paired with other university marks such as the Logotype, Unit Logos or Unique Logos, unless on different pages/surfaces/plains.
For permission to use the University seal, contact identity@UND.edu.
In situations where partnerships with external organizations exist, the trademarks or logos of the partners may be displayed in print and digital communications. The partnership logos:
- Should not be given greater prominence than the UND logos and marks, and
- Should be clearly separated from the UND logos and marks.
Logos Not Available for Download
The following official logos and marks within the UND logo system are not available for download:
- Registered trademark logos ® - Required for promotional items, e.g. pens, clothing, etc.
- University seal
- Unit logos and unit stamps - Request by submitting the Unit Logo Request Form
Please request official copies of these logos and marks by contacting identity@UND.edu.