- General Guidelines
- Content Standards
- Domain Names
- Fonts, Colors & Logos
- Quality Control
- Social Media Policy
- Social Media Best Practices
Usage Guidelines for UND Logo System
The following guidelines govern the use of the official logos and marks within the UND Logo System, including the Primary UND Logotype and its Secondary variations, the Unit Logos and Stamps, and the University Seal in all forms of print and digital communications.
- The UND Logo System is the primary way to create a consistent visual identity for the University of North Dakota.
- The UND Logo System must be used prominently in the design of all print and digital communications associated with the University.
- The official logos and marks within the UND Logo System must not be altered or modified in any manner.
- The official logos and marks within the UND Logo System may be reproduced only from original master copies, which may be downloaded here. If you do not find the logo or mark you need, contact the UND Division of University & Public Affairs (U&PA) at 701.777.2731 or identity@UND.edu.
Use of Logo Variations
- The Primary UND Logotype is the main identifier for the University.
- The Flame Logo, the University Signature, and the University Seal are UND's secondary identifiers.
- The University Seal is reserved solely for formal, legal, or academic uses.
- When appropriate, University units may use their Primary and Secondary Unit Logos as their main identifiers.
- The UND Logo System should not be used in conjunction with any other logo.
- In situations where partnerships with external organizations exist, the trademarks or logos of the partners may be displayed in print and digital communications. The partnership logos:
- Should not be given greater prominence than the UND logos and marks, and
- Should be clearly separated from the UND logos and marks.
Unique UND Logos
- Graphic elements that appear to connect or combine the UND Logo System with other logos or graphics should not be used without prior written approval from U&PA.
- Any University units wishing to create and use Unique UND Logos must have prior written approval from U&PA and must use them in accordance with the UND Identity Guidelines.
The colors of green and orange comprise one of the most distinguishable elements of the University's identity. Official colors are Pantone 347 (green) and Pantone 165 (orange).
Preferred 3-Color Versions
The 3-color versions of the UND Logotypes (including Primary and Secondary versions of the UND and Unit logos) are always preferred.
- 1st Preference: Green UND, Orange Flame, and Black Signature
- 2nd Preference: Green UND, Orange Flame, and White Signature
If the 3-color versions do not work or are not available, designers may choose from the color variations listed below in order of preference.
Acceptable 2-Color Versions
- 1st Preference: Green UND and Signature with Orange Flame
- 2nd Preference: White UND and Signature with Orange Flame
- 3rd Preference: Green UND and Flame with Black Signature
Please note that a 2-color combination of a Black UND and Signature with an Orange Flame should not be used.
Acceptable 1-Color Versions
- 1st Preference: Green
- 2nd Preference: White Reversed Out
- 3rd Preference: Black
The color of the Flame should be at 100% tint or opacity. Do not scale back the color of the Flame in the various versions of the UND Logotypes.
Note: If designers are restricted to a 1-color design that does not allow for Green (PMS 347), Black, or White, they may use the PMS color available (e.g., promotional item). However, this option should be used only as a last resort, as it is not typically accepted to recolor the UND Logotype.
All marks within the UND Logo System must be surrounded on all sides by clear space.
The clear zone should be no less than 1 inch or ½ the height of the UND Flame Logo.
Do not print graphics, rules, typography or other elements in the clear zone area.
For the greatest impact and readability, a minimum logo size has been established.
The size of the Primary UND Logotype and the Unit Logos should not be less than 1.5 inches in length and proportions should not be altered.
Maintaining the integrity of the University's official Logo System is important. Official logos and marks must be presented in a clear, consistent and effective manner.
The following guidelines are applicable at all times for all official logos and marks within the UND Logo System:
- Do not modify, crop, or alter in any way.
- Do not recolor.
- Do not outline, emboss, bevel, or add other special effects.
- Do not cover or overlap the UND Logo System with text or other graphic elements.
- Do not rearrange.
- Do not change or use lowercase typefaces.
- Do not distort original proportion.
All marks within the UND Logo System may not be redrawn, reproportioned or modified in any way.
Some examples of unacceptable uses of the logo: