Social Media Policy
In order to promote the University of North Dakota through social media, the following policy will be observed:
- The UND Web Team must be given administrative access to your social media account in order to provide technical support and safeguard access to the account in the event of lost passwords or similar events.
- The UND Web Team will never post to your social media account, except in the case of emergency safety information.
- Your account's affiliation with UND must be clearly indicated. Use "UND" rather than spelling out the name.
- Your account must use the UND Flame Logo (UND Athletic accounts excluded).
- You must post regularly. Guidelines for this are spelled out in the Best Practices. Dead accounts will be deleted.
- Although the UND Web Team will not police your social media account, you are expected to refrain from disparaging, harassing, or disrespectful comments. Keep it polite.
- The UND Web Team will maintain a directory of UND social media accounts.
- In the event of technical difficulty, the UND Web Team will do their best to assist you. Email identity@UND.edu with any questions, or to register a new account.
Please consult the Best Practices guidelines for:
Granting UND administrative access to your social media accounts is purely a cautionary measure designed to add an extra layer of security for you as administrators, and to ensure continuity for your unit. Think of it as giving a spare house key to a family member in case of emergency.
Giving UND administrative access helps you to:
- Post articles when your administrator goes on vacation
- Recover your account in case of a forgotten password
- Restore access if an administrator leaves UND and forgets to pass along the login
- Lock down the account if an administrator's account is hacked
- Get technical assistance with your account
UND will not post anything to your social media account without your permission, with one exception: In the event of a crisis (such as a natural disaster or a campus security issue), UND reserves the right to disseminate warnings and safety information through every channel at its disposal.