Women & Gender Studies
Inspiring speakers, social justice and history are all integral parts of the women & gender studies program at UND. You’ll tackle issues of sex, gender, social inequality and power dynamics in a respectful and intelligent manner. Working in a broad range of allied disciplines, you’ll customize your studies according to your academic goals.
The B.A. in Women & Gender Studies is administered through the Interdisciplinary Studies program. You’ll work with both program directors when preparing a program of study. The proposed program will include in-depth research in a chosen field. Along with introductory women/gender studies coursework, gender theory and senior study, you’ll draw from fields such as:
As an active member in social change, you’ll have opportunities to engage in extracurricular events and activities that will enhance your understanding of coursework and subjects.
- Specialty: The women & gender studies program gives you the chance to form a multidisciplinary major that is tailored to future academic, professional and career goals. You can select from a range of perspectives and methods in the field, aligning your unique interests with contemporary and timely studies on issues pertaining to women’s achievements, contributions and struggles, gender and feminist theory, sexual identities and norms, and broad discussions of social inequities and oppression. You’ll work closely with the women & gender studies program director to develop an appropriate plan of study.
- Senior research: As part of the interdisciplinary program, all women & gender studies majors complete a culminating piece of research in their chosen field. During this time, you'll devote your efforts (under an advisor) towards producing research in a chosen “track” or area of study.
- Events: By hosting events such as film series and guest speakers, the program strives to educate campus about women’s issues both today and in history. For example, the Red River Women’s Studies Conference has taken place on campus for over a decade. There, we examine the changing roles of women and men in society today. As a student in our program, you’ll have various opportunities to participate in these events.
The field of women & gender studies is diverse and multidisciplinary in nature, so it's no surprise that it serves as preparation for many different areas, such as:
- Entrepreneurship and business
- Graduate programs (women and gender studies, other humanities/social science disciplines)
- Journalism/digital media production
- Non-profit/NGO administration
- Policy-making and government
- Social/community activism
Costs & Aid
Check out the courses you'll take
Schedule your campus visit
Apply in 4 easy steps
Request More Info
UND Among Top 25 Leaders in Innovation
UND’s online and distance programs have been ranked in the 50 Best Online Colleges for 2015-2016 by thebestschools.org.