Interfaith Week at UND begins on Monday, Feb. 25
The University of North Dakota will celebrate Interfaith Week on campus Monday, Feb. 25-March 2.
Interfaith Week at UND is a chance to provide exposure to and increase students' understanding of the other spiritual and cultural backgrounds that exist within our campus and surrounding community.
The following is a rundown and descriptions of events taking place over the week in celebration of the multitude of cultural and spiritual communities on the UND campus:
- One God, One Common Faith (Monday, Feb. 25, noon– 1p.m., UND Memorial Union Lecture Bowl). Find out how all the world's major religions are in reality the same religion. The spiritual teaching are the same but evolving and the social teachings and laws are based on the time when they were revealed.
- Meditation Basics (Monday, Feb. 25, 5:30-6:30 p.m., Lotus Meditation Center). Experience with Vipassana traditions of meditation, such as sitting & walking meditations. This session will be led by Janet Rex of the Lotus Meditation Center.
- Wiccan Spirituality & Esbat Ceremony (Monday, Feb. 25, 7 p.m.-8 p.m., Lotus Meditation Center). A local Wiccan minister, Chassidy Strege, will be sharing information about Wicca-a modern, nature-based spiritual tradition. Questions and dialogue are expected and welcome. This discussion will be followed by a brief Esbat (Full Moon) ceremony for those who are interested in participating.
- Discovering my Spiritual DNA (Tuesday, Feb. 26, noon, lecture Bowl). Learn how God has engineered each of us for success and victory in life. This session will be led by Bob Bartlett.
- An Evil Little Story (Tuesday, Feb. 26, 5-6:30 p.m., Lecture Bowl). Atheist activist, Jessica Ahlquist, shares her story of standing up for the separation of church and state in a Rhode Island High School. Jessica will elaborate on the topic of secularism, the national outcry and support she received as an atheist student, and how separation of church and state supports building bridges across diverse worldviews. This event is sponsored by UND Freethinkers.
- Submerge (Tuesday, Feb. 26; 7 p.m., Hopper Danley). Join us for a time of worship and praise with the Submerge worship team leading the evening in contemporary Christian music.
- Soup and Share (Wednesday, Feb. 27, noon, at Christus Rex). Can we really love God without loving others? Join us for soup and conversation
- Interfaith Fair at the Wellness Expo (Wednesday, Feb. 27; noon-5 p.m., at Wellness Center). An exciting Expo open to all UND students and an opportunity to learn firsthand the correlation between wellness and academic success. Students will experience the 7 dimensions of wellness by visiting the exhibitors, participating in activities promoting wellness, and learning how wellness can have a positive influence on their lives. Join us in the spiritual wellness section!
- Prayers in the Desert (Wednesday, Feb. 27, 6 p.m., at Christus Rex). A thirty minute service of meditation and prayer.
- CHRISTIAN RAP and ROCK INFINITE FAITH MUSIC CHALLENGE (Wednesday, Feb. 27, 7:30 p.m., at Loading Dock). A unique concert and singing competition. In honor of Interfaith Week and Black History Month. Featured Performers: Carlos Williams of Sonrize a Christian Rapper, One Ten Ride Christian Rock and Josh Tuinder Indie Christian Rock as seen at the Ember. Also featuring YOU as a singing competitor! Call Multicultural Student Services at 701-777-4259 to REGISTER.
- Lunch with a Muslim (Thursday, Feb. 28; noon, at International Centre). Sit down for a wonderful table conversation with a Muslim student. Enjoy informal conversations and great food.
- Building A Better Society (Thursday, Feb. 28; 6 p.m., at International Centre). We examine writings from the world's major religions on a different topic each week. We look for similarities among the world's religions and discuss how we can apply to our daily lives what we learn each week.
- Buddhism 101 "Do you want to get enlightened?" (Thursday, Feb. 28; 6-7 p.m., Hopper Danley Spiritual Center). A phenomenal talk about Buddhism given by Patrick Anderson. This will be followed by a Q&A, so please feel free to bring your questions.
- Native American Spirituality (Thursday, Feb. 28; 7:15 – 8:30 p.m., Hopper Danley). A local Native American spiritual leader, Allan Demaray, will be present to share information about traditional Native American spirituality and answer any questions you may have.
- Finding Your Way: Seeking Directions When You Don't Know You're Lost (Friday, March 1, 11 a.m., at Christus Rex). It's easy to wander when you don't know you're lost. In Tera's talk, she will speak about her own personal journey to find the right path, and the importance of seeking direction in a world full of promised destinations. Session led by Tera Elness.
- Christian Views on Big Questions (Friday, March 1; noon, at Christus Rex). How do different Christian traditions respond to issues of sin, grace, eternal life, evil, and other faiths? A moderated panel with Christian voices from Mainline, Conservative Evangelical, and Roman Catholic churches will tackle these hot topics. Free lunch provided.
- Yogathon (Friday, March 1st; 4 pm at Wellness Center Group Exercise Room). A special yoga event will be held in conjunction with the Healthy Campus Challenge and Interfaith Week. It will take place on Friday March 1st at 4pm in the Wellness Center Group Exercise Room. For more information on the Healthy Campus Challenge head to the Healthy Campus Challenge webpage.
- Interfaith Service Project (Saturday, March 2, 4 p.m., meet at Christus Rex). Come join us to end the week with an evening of preparing and serving a meal to homeless individuals down at Northlands Rescue Mission. Come to help out around the shelter, as well as build relationships and reflect on the value of service. Meet at Christus Rex (3012 University Ave.) to carpool.
Also, a special thank you goes out to the following Interfaith Week partners:
- Muslim Student Association
- Amnesty International
- Multi-Cultural Center
- Hope Covenant/Prepare Ministry
- H2O/ Submerge
- Free Thinkers
- Lotus Meditation Center
- Christus Rex Lutheran
- Campus CenterCampus Ministry AssociationAmerican Indian Center
- Health and WellnessMulticultural Student Services
David L. Dodds, Media Relations/Writer & Editor, Office of University Relations, 701.777.5529| email@example.com
UND Top News
- University of North Dakota Fighting Hawks Merchandise Rollout
- UND Summer Commencement Highlights & Reaction (Aug. 5, 2016)
- 2016 University of North Dakota Summer Commencement Ceremony
- UND University Children's Learning Center Celebrates International Mud Day (June 29, 2016)
- Farewell Reception for UND President Ed Schafer & First Lady Nancy Schafer (June 15, 2016)