- Academic Affairs Office Staff
- Deans and Directors
- Department and Program Chairs
- Department and Program Support Staff
- Provost Blog
- Undergraduate Program Review
- American College of NorwayHonors
- International Programs
- Summer Sessions
- National Scholarships and Fellowships
- Center for Instructional & Learning Technologies
- Essential Studies
- Instructional Development
- Communications Proficiency
- Developmental Leave
- Faculty Appointing Procedures
- Faculty Benefits
- Faculty Recruitment Procedures
- Faculty Salary Administration Policy
- Maternity Leave
- Phased Retirement Policy
- Promotion and Tenure
- Sick Leave
- Academic Affairs Deadlines
- Course Syllabi Statements
- Committees Reporting to the Provost & VPAA
- Common Course Scheduling
- Faculty Handbook
- Foundation Directory Online
- Online Forms
- Student Learning Outcomes Assessment
- Deans Evaluation
Criteria and Appointment Procedures
Demonstrated achievement across research, teaching, and service with significant national or regional recognition in any one of these missions.
Significant professional contributions throughout his/her career. However, the basis for selection of Chester Fritz Professors will be heavily weighted toward one’s accomplishments at UND.
Recognition by University of North Dakota colleagues as a faculty member who has made a valuable contribution to the quality of UND’s academic programs.
Fulltime member of the faculty which includes all ranked teaching and research personnel. Department chairs are eligible if he/she is a full-time member of the faculty. (Full-time administrators, e.g., vice-presidents and deans, are not eligible).
Terms of Appointment
Once awarded, the recipient always carries the title “Chester Fritz Distinguished Professor.”
The nomination packet should contain sufficient information for the committee to evaluate the nominee.
- The nominator(s) must submit a nomination letter. Nominator(s) must be a Chester Fritz Distinguished Professor, Full Professor, or Department Chair.
- College Deans must second all nominations in writing.
- Letters of support from other faculty are encouraged.
- A current curriculum vitae of the nominee must accompany the nomination.
Dates & Deadlines
- Nomination packets are due in the College Dean’s office by March 1.
- Complete nomination packets with letters from the nominator(s) and seconder (College Dean) are due in the Graduate School by mid-March.
- The Graduate Dean convenes a selection committee appointed by the Provost and forwards a rank ordered list of names to the Provost by April 1 with specific recommendations for who should be awarded the Chester Fritz Professorship.
- The Provost reviews the committee’s recommendations and forward the recommendations to the President.
- Chester Fritz Distinguished Professorships are awarded at Spring Commencement.
Approved: February 2004 | Council of Deans