Helping Rural Communities Solve Their Unique Health and Social Problems
Request for Applications (RFA)
The University of North Dakota (UND) Rural Communities Health and Social Problems Grand Challenge Team is soliciting applications from faculty to support UND’s research activities, and external funding capacity, to address the unique health and social problems of rural communities. (One UND, Goal 4).
This solicitation supports the advancement of UND's goal of submissions for funding that address the limitations of access to resources in rural communities. The aim of the Grand Challenge is to improve the economic, social, and healthcare outcomes in rural areas. This includes supporting communities’ efforts to advance: economic development, access to justice, 21st Century workforce development, prevention efforts (e.g., violence), climate studies/environmental issues, resources that serve tribal communities, rural cultural heritage, job and food security, safe communities, access to health and behavioral healthcare services, care for populations that are vulnerable, educational opportunities for pre-K thru 12, quality housing, and improving access to transportation.
Specifically, the Rural Health and Social Problem Grand Challenge Committee is encouraging proposals that aim to improve outcomes in rural communities and address rural health and social problems, based on best practices. Our intent is to select proposals that exhibit the capacity to develop a preliminary proposal for funding that incorporate faculty expertise, based on an inter-professional approach, and that describe an understanding of rural communities' unique issues. An expectation exists that external funding must be requested with one year of your award, from either a foundation or a government entity, of at least $60,000 or more.
- RFP Announcement: November 14, 2017
- Federal Funders Partnership Event: November 14, 2017
- Submission Date: December 4, 2017 (5:00 p.m. CST)
- Announcement of Funded Internal Grants: December 18, 2017
- Forum to Discuss Preliminary Proposal: May 1, 2018
Internal Grant Amount
Up to 8 awards of $3,200.00 each. ($25,600 total)
Submissions are open for research concepts designed to address the broad focus of this challenge as described above.
Project Narrative (4 page limit, double-spaced)
- Topic the author(s) intends to explore/expand and how it supports the UND's Rural Health and Social Problems Grand Challenge
- Brief Statement of Need
- Anticipated Funding Entities (list up to three)
- How future research will serve UND and rural communities
- Brief Budget Statement
- Please include a brief bio-sketch and related works (no more than two pages).
Please forward the above as one PDF.
Proposals will be reviewed and selected for award by the Rural Health and Social Problems Grand Challenge Team.
Proposal Evaluation Criteria
Reviewers will consider the following criteria:
- Technical/intellectual/creative merit of the proposed topic
- Impact of the topic on influencing/benefiting future funding opportunities
- Future opportunities for multidisciplinary collaboration
- Impact on One UND Strategic Plan goals
- Service to ND
All proposals must be submitted electronically by the date and time posted above directly to the Office of the Vice President for Research and Economic Development, c/o Brenda Halle at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any questions related to this request can be addressed by contacting Thomasine Heitkamp at 777-4950 or email@example.com.