- Submittal Process
- Budget Preparation
- Facts for Submission-ID Numbers
- Writing Assistance
- Training Opportunities
- Transmittal Form
- Funding Opportunities
- Faculty Seed Money
- University Support
- Collaborative Seed Money
- Faculty Travel Funds
- Student Travel Funds
Research Development & Compliance
Twamley Hall Room 105
264 Centennial Drive
Senate Scholarly Activities Committee (SSAC)
- Friday, September 11, 2015: Travel September 16, 2015 - January 15, 2016
- Friday, October 9, 2015: Research/Creative Activity & Publication Grants
- Friday, January 8, 2016: Travel January 16, 2016 - April 30, 2016
- Friday, February 12, 2016: Research/Creative Activity, Publication Grants, and New Faculty Scholar Awards
- Friday, April 22, 2016: Travel May 1, 2016 - September 15, 2016
The SSAC stimulates and encourages scholarly activities and develops relevant institutional policies.
The Committee is composed of:
- Faculty (nine, to include two representatives from the college of Arts and Sciences with one of these from the division of humanities and fine arts and the other from the division of natural and social sciences)
- Vice President for Academic Affairs or designee (one, voting)
- Vice President for Research or designee (one, voting)
One-third of the faculty members are elected by the University Senate at the April meeting each year.
Functions and Responsibilities
- To perform a thorough review of Committee policies in even-numbered years as preparation for any issues arising in the State legislative session in odd-numbered years. This review is to be submitted to the Senate Executive Committee and the Senate Legislative Affairs Committee.
- Acting of its own volition, upon the request of the Senate and/or others, the Committee shall assume the following responsibilities:
- Address general issues of importance to establishing and maintaining strong research and development programs on campus.
- Stimulate interaction between disciplines and take a proactive role to establish centers of excellence at UND.
- Allocate available research funds based on pre-established policies and guidelines.
- Maintain Committee website.
The Committee also is to prepare an annual report which addresses each function and responsibility and submit it to the Senate secretary two weeks before the May Senate meeting.
Department: College of Nursing & Professional Disciplines
Dee Ann Ellingson (Chair)
Term: VP Academic Affairs Designee
Department: Computer Science
Department: Associate Vice President for Research & Economic Development
Term: VP Research Designee
Sima Noghanian (Vice Chair)
Department: Electrical Engineering
Department: School of Law
Department: Teaching & Learning
Agendas and Minutes (coming soon)
Meeting Dates 2015-2016 (coming soon)
Policies and Procedures
The SSAC receives a grant of funds each year from the University of North Dakota. These funds, in the amount of $57,000, are largely derived from indirect cost monies received by the University. The Committee, in turn, awards funds to University faculty and staff for the following purposes:
A. Research/Creative Activity Grants
Research/Creative Activity Grants are made for the following purposes:
- To support faculty and staff in conducting initial research/creative activity that may lead to funding from external agencies.
- To support faculty and staff in developing or conducting creative scholarly activities such as writing, performance, and works of art.
Research/Creative Activity Grants may include requests for travel funds, but those requests must be incidental to or facilitative of the research/creative activity that will be conducted. For other travel see item C below.
Note: The Senate of Scholarly Activities Committee will not fund projects that are primarily directed at a faculty member's teaching addressing curricular issues.
B. Publication Costs
Publication awards are made for the following purposes:
- To defray costs associated with "page charges" required by publishers.
- To provide partial subsidies for the publication of scholarly books or monographs.
Note: Requests for funds related to publication costs have a low priority and are only funded if sufficient funds are available.
C. Travel Funds
Travel awards are made for the following purposes, listed in order of priority for funding:
- To allow faculty and staff to attend professional meetings in order to make presentations of their research or scholarly activities.
- To support travel that enables faculty and staff to meet with colleagues to discuss possible joint research/creative activities.
- To enable faculty and staff to visit laboratories or other research facilities in order to observe new techniques.
- To support travel to attend meetings related to research activities, but not involving the formal presentation of a paper.
Note: This category is limited to travel activities only and does not include requests for travel monies in order to conduct research. If the travel is associated with a scholarly activity, the Research/Creative Activity Grant Application Form should be utilized.