- Current Senators
- Executive Committee
- Staff Senator of the Year
- Become a Senator
- Photo Gallery
Staff Senate welcomes questions and ideas. Please click below to submit a suggestion.
The following is a list of events the University of North Dakota Staff Senate host annually.
Denim & Diamonds
The University of North Dakota's annual staff and faculty celebration Denim & Diamonds is hosted by UND Staff Senate. This year's event will take place at the Gorecki Alumni Center on Friday, October 28, 2016 from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m.
Originating in 2010 as Emerald and Ice, this annual celebration was initiated for the purpose of building bridges across campus by bringing people from all disciplines and employment categories together in one setting. During this event, the UND family come together to network, celebrate, mingle and learn more about each other in a fun and relaxed setting. The celebration is open to all UND staff, faculty, family and friends and the attire is denim or diamonds or a combination of both. There is live music; delicious gourmet appetizers; mock-gaming and bidding on numerous silent auction items. All proceeds raised during this event will go toward supporting Seeds for Staff Success.
Our 2015 Denim and Diamonds event raised $8,404 for Seeds for Staff Success, which was generously matched by the President's Office. Seeds for Staff Success is a program designed to provide monetary assistance to UND benefited staff needing help to fund their professional development.
For the most up to date information on activities and silent auction items for the evening, follow UND Staff Senate Denim and Diamonds on Facebook at www.facebook.com/UNDStaffSenateDenimDiamonds
Spring Fling is a luncheon held annually (in the Spring) at the end of the school year, with food served by Staff Senators, which provides a time for employees to take time out to eat and visit with fellow employees.
2015 Review: Spring Fling was held on Thursday, April 20, 2015 in the Memorial Union Ballroom. This year we served pulled pork sandwiches, veggie burgers, potato salad, chips, pickles, fruit, vegetables, lemonade and water. About 500 employees attended the event. In the morning there was a Night Staff Appreciation Breakfast that included a full breakfast and was attended by 94 staff members.
The event was sponsored by The President's Office, VP of Finance and Operations, Dining Services & Campus Catering, Building Service Technicians, Health and Wellness, Hormel Food Sales, LLC, Mrs. Gerrys, and Bimbo Bakeries.
2014 Review: Spring Fling was held on Thursday, May 1, 2014 in the Memorial Union Ballroom. This year we served pulled pork sandwiches, veggie burgers, chips, pickles, fruit and lemonade. In the morning there was a Night Staff Appreciation Breakfast that included a full breakfast and is always a nice event and appreciated by the staff.
2013 Review: Spring Fling was held on Friday, May 3, 2013 in the Memorial Union Ballroom. This year we served pulled pork sandwiches, veggie burgers, chips, pickles, fruit and lemonade. In the morning there was a Night Staff Appreciation Breakfast that included a full breakfast and is always a nice event and appreciated by the staff.
State Employee Recognition Week
State Employee Recognition Week
will be held the week of September 11-15, 2017.
- 20% at the UND Bookstore all week!
- Night Staff Breakfast will be served for the night staff in the Wilkerson Commons on Tuesday, September 12th, from 6:00 am – 7:00 am.
- Taco-in-a-Bag will be served in the Memorial Union Ballroom on Tuesday, September 12th, from 11:30 am-1:15 pm during the lunch and benefits fair.
Pie and Ice-cream will be served on Thursday, September 14th, at Carnegie Hall from
2:00 pm – 3:30 pm.
- SERW events were sponsored by The President's Office, Division of University & Public Affairs, University Federal Credit Union, Staff Senate, University Senate, UND Facilities, Dining Services, Work Well, UND Bookstore, and VPAA.
- Monetary donations will be collected to support the Hurricane Harvey disaster relief fund.
Homecoming / Potato Bowl Parades
2015 Parade Dates
Potato Bowl Parade September 7th
Homecoming Parade October 10th
Staff Senate participated in both the 2013 Homecoming and Potato Bowl parades, using an Exceptional U theme. Staff Senate's float won the "Best Theme" award during the Potato Bowl parade.
31 Days of Glory
During October and November, Staff Senators sell 600 raffle tickets at $20 each. A winner is drawn for each day of December. Monday through Friday winners receive $100 cash, new this year, Saturday winners will receive $250 cash and Sunday winners receive $500 cash. All proceeds go to provide professional development opportunities for UND benefited staff members.
Staff Development Program Committee Events
Workshops provide Staff Development opportunities.
Some example of this year's workshops included:
- Creating Positive Relationships through Effective Communication held in November 2013
- Email Etiquette which took place in December 2013 and April 2014
- A Blueprint for a Successful Job Search at UND which took place in March 2014
- How to Recognize Substance Abuse in the Workplace and What's Next took place in April 2014
Staff Development Program Committee continued the campus tours which have been a huge success and they included:
- Chester Fritz Special Collections which was held in October of 2013
- Studio 1 which took place in February of 2014
- Tour the New Information Technologies Building which was held in April 2014
- May Service Center Walking Tour which included 6 services centers, took place in May 2014
- Previous tours have included Gorecki Alumni Center, Hughes Fine Arts, EERC, Aerospace, Aerospace at the Airport, School of Medicine & Health Sciences, Memorial Union, Facilities, and the Steam Plant.
The tours have been popular and will continue to get staff out of their offices and across campus to become more informed about the University.
Tubs of Love
Each year, the University of North Dakota's Staff Senate hosts the annual Tubs of Love donation drive. Senators disburse and monitor tubs throughout the UND Campus community during the months of November and December.
Sponsored U2 Events
U2 Is the University Within the University. Many classes and workshops are offered by the University to employees. Staff Senate sponsors several of these events. You can check out the current sessions at: http://u2.und.edu/sessions or you can download a pdf of the current U2 newsletter at: http://u2.und.edu/docs/u2-newsletter.pdf