- Current Senators
- Executive Committee
- Staff Senator of the Year
- Become a Senator
- Photo Gallery
Staff Senate welcomes questions and ideas. Please click below to submit a suggestion.
Staff Senate Committees
Staff Senate has several committees that are made up of Staff Senate members. These committees provide administrative functions for Staff Senate or are a focus area for Staff Senate for some of the mission areas.
Each Staff Senator is asked to join one committee of their choice. Involvement is not limited to one and many members take part in a few. It's your chance to "GET INVOLVED"!
Constitutions, Bylaws and Elections
Constitution, Elections, and Bylaws Committee – reviews, drafts, and recommends amendments to the Constitution and Bylaws and presents them to the Executive Committee and then to Staff Senate for approval. The Committee rules on questions relating to qualifications of electors and members; nominates and receives nominations; presents a slate of nominees; and conducts the elections.
As Past President, Pam Shea will chair Bylaws and Elections for 2017-2018.
Community Relations Committee – advertises and accepts applications from local non-profit organizations that will receive funds generated from UND Denim Days. The Committee will review applications and determine recipients of funding. The Committee will approve and publicize regular and special Denim Days as submitted throughout the year. All collected donations from UND employees will be turned in to the President’s Office for deposit. Coordinates annual Tubs of Love drive by selecting local non-profit organization(s) to receive donation in December.
Patricia Reed will serve as the Community Relations Chair for 2017-2018.
Fundraising Committee – develops funding sources for scholarships and other programs as they apply to Staff Senate.
Scholarship for Benefited Staff
Successful fundraising has once again enabled the UND Staff Senate to provide staff scholarships for the 2017-2018 academic year.
The UND Staff Senate is very proud of its efforts in raising the money for these scholarships. This money was raised by 31 Days of Glory Raffle, payroll deductions, and donations. We thank you for your past support of the UND Staff Senate and look forward to your continued support in future endeavors.
31 Days of Glory
UND Staff Senate has been conducting the 31 Days of Glory raffle each year since it was established in 1998.
- What is it? During October and November, Staff Senators sell 600 raffle tickets at $20 each. A winner is drawn for each day of December. Monday through Friday winners receive $100 cash, Saturday winners receive $250 cash and Sunday winners receive $500 cash.
- Where do the proceeds go? Proceeds from the raffle will be used to provide grants for Seeds for Staff Success to benefited staff members.
- Who sells them? All Staff Senators!
- Who can buy a ticket? Staff, faculty, students; anyone! You don't even have to work at UND. Get your ticket early, they sell fast! You can't win if you don't buy a ticket.
Congratulations to last year's winners of the 31 Days of Glory raffle! Thank you for purchasing a ticket to support scholarships for dependents of UND staff members.
Click here for a list of the Fall 2017 31 Days of Glory Winners
Chirs Choate will chair the Fundraising/Scholarship Committee for 2017-2018.
Legislative Committee – provides Staff Senate with information regarding legislative activity, placing particular emphasis on issues affecting higher education and UND staff. The Committee depends on feedback from the Staff Senate to propose and initiate a coordinated effort as a result of the given information. Committee also acts as parliamentarian or source of parliamentary procedure according to Robert’s Rules of Order Newly Revised. The Chair of the Legislative Committee serves on the University Senate Legislative Affairs Committee.
Courtney Souvannasacd will continue to chair the Legislative Committee for 2017-2020.
North Dakota State Staff Senate
The North Dakota State Staff Senate (ND SSS) serves staff members at institutions throughout the university system. The ND SSS identifies staff interests and issues; acts as a forum for staff-related matters; and promotes communication between campus staff, the NDUS chancellor and the State Board of Higher Education. The ND SSS meets at least four times a year.
UND Staff Senate President, Vice President and Past President will serve as members of the ND SSS with the Past President rotating off each year.
Public Relations Committee – works in conjunction with other Staff Senate Committees: publicizes events sponsored by the Staff Senate; opens channels of communication with the campus community; raises awareness about the vital role performed by staff in the operation of the university; develops documents and correspondence prior to submission to the Executive Committee; and maintains the Staff Senate display case. Coordinates Staff Senate involvement in local parades.
Lesli Riskey will chair the PR Committee for 2017-2018.
Staff & Professional Development
Staff and Professional Development Committee – identifies, recommends, and coordinates various programs and activities that will provide professional and personal growth for all UND employees. This includes the development of scholarship programs, sponsoring an annual speaker and coordinating workshops and training sessions on a regular basis.
Seeds for Staff Success
Successful fundraising has enabled UND Staff Senate to provide benefited staff members with grants for educational or professional development. The program provides staff members with a source of funding that allows them to continue their education; attend conferences and workshops; or participate in other educational opportunities.
- December 15 (for development between January 1 through May 12 - spring)
- May 15 (for development between May 13 and August 18 - summer)
- August 15 (for development betweeen August 19 and December 31 - fall)
Below are the eligibility requirements for a Seeds for Staff Sucess grant:
- You must be a UND benefited staff member.
- You may apply for a maximum of up to $500 in one calendar year.
- Grant allocations must be used for workshops, training and/or classes that enhance your education or career at the University of North Dakota.
- If you receive a grant, funds must be spent during the application period for which you apply (see deadlines and development periods above).
Barry Brode is the chair of the Staff & Professional Development committee for 2017-2018.
Staff Recognition Committee – develops and administers events and programs to recognize and reward Staff Employees for their service to UND. Coordinates events such as Spring Fling, and in conjunction with Council of State Employees (COSE), plans activities for State Employee Recognition Week. This Committee also administers the UND Staff Senate Senator of the Year award. Coordinates monthly and annual U-Shine award, as well as fall and spring Exceptional-U awards.
State Employee Recognition Week was held the week of September 11-15, 2017.
- Taco-in-a-Bag was served in the Memorial Union Ballroom on Tuesday, September 12th, from 11:30 am-1:00 pm during the lunch and benefits fair. Approximately 475 staff members attended.
- Breakfast was served for the night staff in the Terrace Dining Center on Tuesday, September 12th, from 6:00 am – 7:00 am, with 76 staff members attending.
Pie and Ice-cream was served on Thursday, September 14th, at Carnegie Hall from
2:00 pm – 3:30 pm, where approximately 300 staff members came to enjoy an afternoon treat.
- SERW events were sponsored by Dining Services, The President’s Office, University Federal Credit Union, UND Bookstore, UND Facilities, University Senate, VPAA Office, Work Well, and Staff Senate.
- The Staff Senator of the Year Award was developed by the Staff Recognition Committee to recognize a Staff Senator who promotes a spirit of unity and pride and represents Staff Senate in an exemplary manner through their vision, enthusiasm, dedication and willingness to volunteer. Our award winner was Diane Hillebrand.
- Spring Fling is scheduled for April 12th, 2018 from 11:30 am-1:00 pm in the Memorial Union Ballroom.
- U Shine This is the seventh year of what we consider a successful program that recognizes outstanding UND staff employees. This award is presented every month by the Staff Senate president to a UND staff member. The winner receives a certificate and a gift of $50. An annual Award of $250.00 is presented at the annual Staff Recognition/Meritorious Award Luncheon in May. Winners are unaware of their win until the award is presented during "special department meetings" or other gatherings. The Annual winner was Allison Peyton – Manager at the Business Service Center. This award was presented during the Staff Recognition/Meritorious Award Luncheon held on May 9th, 2015.
Chris Dingle will chair the Staff Recognition Committee for 2017-2018.
Ad Hoc Committees
Staff Senate also has three Ad Hoc Committess that are listed below. The three Executive Committee at-large members are the coordinators for these committees.
- Jade Gourneau
- Kari Holter
- Janelle Mcgarry
Other University Committees Representation
Staff Senate has members who serve on the following University Committees.
- Building/Facilities Access Committee - VACANT
- University Budget Committee - Barry Brode and Sarah Abentroth
- Committee on Sexual Violence Prevention - Tyler Clauson, Lesli Risky and Courtney Souvannascnd
- North Dakota State Staff Senate - Tyler Clauson, Lisa Earls, Pam Shea
- Senate Legislative Affairs Committee - Courtney Souvannascnd
- The President's Cabinet - Tyler Clauson
- University Bookstore Advisory Committee - Patricia Reed
- University Senate - Tyler Clauson, Lisa Earls, Patricia Reed
- University Senate Executive Committee - Tyler Clauson