- Current Senators
- Executive Committee
- Staff Senator of the Year
- Become a Senator
- Photo Gallery
Staff Senate welcomes questions and ideas. Please click below to submit a suggestion.
Staff Senate Committees
Staff Senate has several committees that are made up of Staff Senate members. These committees provide administrative functions for Staff Senate or are a focus area for Staff Senate for some of the mission areas.
Each Staff Senator is asked to join one committee of their choice. Involvement is not limited to one and many members take part in a few. It's your chance to "GET INVOLVED"!
Bylaws/Elections Committee – reviews, drafts and recommends amendments to the bylaws and presents them to the Executive Committee and then to Staff Senate for approval. They review rules on questions relating to qualifications of electors and members, nominates and receives nominations, presents a slate of nominees, and conducts the elections.
As Past President, Diane Hillebrand will chair Bylaws and Elections for 2014-15.
Denim Days support local non-profit charities/organizations. For more information and details go to the Denim Days webpage.
2015 Denim Day Recipients (all donations support these charities)
- Altru Infant & Child Bereavement Program
- Circle of Friends Humane Society
- Community Violence Intervention Center – Light of Hope Program
- Global Friends Coalition – Resilient Youth Program
- Grand Forks Senior Center – Meals on Wheels Program
- Home Delivered Meals
- LISTEN Center – After School Program
- Lutheran Social Services – Day Report Program
- Mountainbrooke Recovery Center – Noon Meal Program
- Prairie Harvest Mental Health – Job Development Program
- Safe Kids Grand Forks
- Special Olympics ND Grand Forks
Cheri Williams will continue to serve as the Denim Day Chair for 2014-2015.
Scholarship for Dependents of Benefited Staff
Successful fundraising has once again enabled the UND Staff Senate to provide student scholarships for the 2014-2015 academic year.
The UND Staff Senate is very proud of its efforts in raising the money for these scholarships. This money was raised by 31 Days of Glory Raffle, payroll deductions, and donations. We thank you for your past support of the UND Staff Senate and look forward to your continued support in future endeavors.
Applications now open for Staff Dependent Scholarships. Application deadline is Wednesday, April 15 at 4:00 pm. Click here for the application form.
Seeds for Staff Success
Successful fundraising has enabled UND Staff Senate the ability to provide professional development opportunities to UND benefited staff members. This program was developed by Staff Senate to provide staff members with a source of funding that allows them to continue their education; attend conferences and workshops; or participate in other staff development opportunities they might have an interest in. The maximum for any individual grant is $500.
Application deadlines occur quarterly: July 1–September 30, October 1–December 31, January 1–March 31, and April 1–June 30 . Applicants may apply for up to $500 per fiscal year (July 1– June 30). Funds must be used for a professional development opportunity during that application quarter or the next quarter.
Help us make this program a SUCCESS!!! This year, all money raised at the Denim & Diamonds Annual Staff and Faculty Celebration, which was held on Friday, October 17, 2014, at the Gorecki Alumni Center, was generously matched by President Kelley to support the mission of the program's mission.
31 Days of Glory
UND Staff Senate has been conducting the 31 Days of Glory raffle each year since it was established in 1998.
- What is it? During October and November, Staff Senators sell 500 raffle tickets at $20 each. A winner is drawn for each day of December. Monday through Saturday winners receive $100 cash and Sunday winners receive $500 cash.
- Where do the proceeds go? Proceeds from the raffle will be used to provide scholarships for dependents of UND Staff members.
- Who sells them? All Staff Senators!
- Who can buy a ticket? Staff, faculty, students; anyone! You don't even have to work at UND. Get your ticket early, they sell fast! You can't win if you don't buy a ticket.
Congratulations to last year's winners of the 31 Days of Glory raffle! Thank you for purchasing a ticket to support scholarships for dependents of UND staff members.
Currently, more than 50 UND employees (staff and faculty) have signed up for payroll deduction to help provide scholarships for dependents of UND staff members. To apply for payroll deduction, download the following form.
Pam Henderson will chair the Fundraising/Scholarship Committee for 2014-2015.
Legislative Committee – provides Staff Senate with information regarding legislative activity, placing particular emphasis on issues affecting higher education and UND staff. The committee depends on feedback from the Staff Senate to propose and initiate a coordinated effort as a result of the given information. This committee also acts as parliamentarian or source of parliamentary procedure according to Sturgis.
Katrina Kriewall will chair the Legislative Committee for 2014-15.
North Dakota State Staff Senate
The North Dakota State Staff Senate (ND SSS) serves staff members at institutions throughout the university system. The ND SSS identifies staff interests and issues; acts as a forum for staff-related matters; and promotes communication between campus staff, the NDUS chancellor and the State Board of Higher Education. The ND SSS meets at least four times a year.
UND Staff Senate President, Vice President and Past President will serve as members of the ND SSS with the Past President rotating off each year.
Currently Emma Tuffe from Valley City is the President for 2014-2015.
Public Relations Committee – works in conjunction with other Staff Senate Committees to:
- Publicize events sponsored by the Staff Senate
- Open channels of communication with the campus community
- Raise awareness about the vital role performed by staff in the operation of the University
- Develop documents and correspondence prior to submission to the Executive Committee
- Maintain the Staff Senate web page and display case
During 2014-15 they oversaw the following:
- The PR Committee has continued to review flyers and other public materials, checking grammar and spelling, and providing guidance and assistance in branding.
- The PR Committee reviewed over sixty five documents, promoting events such as 31 Days of Glory, tours and training, U-Shine, Exceptional U, Denim & Diamonds, Staff Recognition Week, Denim Day and Spring Fling.
- The PR Committee continues to produce Staff Happens, the Staff Senate newsletter. This committee plans to continue producing the newsletter twice a year after the Christmas break and during the early summer break.
- The PR Committee promotes Staff Senate in the U-Letter. Most releases are written by other committees that are responsible for the event being announced. Whether or not a release or announcement is generated by our committee, the release or announcement is reviewed by the PR Committee.
- The Staff Senate display case in the Memorial Union is maintained monthly.
- Nameplates were printed for new members.
- The PR Committee has designed and will continue to design other materials as needed. Examples of this include the site coordinator poster for Denim Day, the Spring Fling flyer, the Staff Recognition Week flyer and Staff Development workshop flyers.
- The PR Committee designed a new logo for Staff Senate and U-Shine in order to be compliant with UND identity guidelines.
Lacey Erickson will chair the PR Committee for 2014-15.
Staff Development Program
Staff Development Program Committee identifies, recommends, and coordinates various programs and activities that will provide professional and personal growth for all UND employees. The Vice President, also the Chair of the Staff Development Program Committee, is responsible for lining up speaker for the monthly full Staff Senate meetings. Subjects for updates and programs included; TIAA/CREF options, United Way campaign, Emergency Notification issue, University Police Department update, overall UND updates, Human Resources Leadership Program, Martin Luther King Jr. Day event in Grand Forks, legislative updates, nutrition information, HLC update, and campus parking update.
The committee is involved in the following:
Workshops. Workshops provide Staff Development opportunities. Some example of this year's workshops included:
- Got Technology? Services & Applications Available for Staff held in September 2014
- FIRST AID/CPR/AED TRAINING which took place in October 2014
Workshops coming soon.
- Active Shooter Training
- K-9 Officer Informational Session
- Green Dot Program
- Facebook Security and Privacy
- Safe Online Practices
Campus Tours. Staff Development Program Committee continued the campus tours which have been a huge success and they included:
- Wellness Tour which was held in September of 2014
Campus Tours coming soon.
- NDUS Informational Technologies Building, March 27, 2015.
The tours have been popular and will continue to get staff out of their offices and across campus to become more informed about the University.
Tubs of Love
- Each year, the University of North Dakota's Staff Senate hosts the annual Tubs of Love donation drive. Senators disburse and monitor tubs throughout the UND Campus community during the months of November and December.
- This year the Salvation Army of Grand Forks was chosen as Tubs of Love recipients. Staff Senate collected donations for the annual drive including toiletries and personal care items as well as new or gently used winter outwear. Items such as coats, hats, mittens and scarves are of great need during this season. Thank you to all of the support for this amazing cause, the Tubs of Love drive was a great success again this year.
Sarah Abentroth will serve as chair for Staff Development Program Committee for 2014-15.
Staff Recognition Committee – Develops and administers events and programs to recognize and reward staff employees for their service to UND. Coordinates events such as Spring Fling and, in conjunction with Council of State Employees (COSE), plans activities for State Employee Recognition Week. This committee also administers the UND Staff Senate Senator of the Year award.
State Employee Recognition Week was held the week of September 8-12, 2014.
- Taco-in-a-Bag was served in the Memorial Union Ballroom on Tuesday, September 9th, from 11:30 am-1:00 pm, with approximately 385 staff members in attendance.
- Breakfast was served for the night staff in the Terrace Dining Center on Wednesday, September 10th, from 6:00 am – 7:00 am, with 86 staff members attending.
- Pie and Ice-cream was served on Thursday, September 11th,in the Loading Dock from 2:00 pm – 3:30 pm, where approximately 244 staff members came to enjoy an afternoon treat.
- SERW events were sponsored by The President’s Office, University Relations, University Federal Credit Union, Staff Senate, Council of State Employees (COSE), Dining Services and Work Well.
- Free-will donations were also collected at all three events, with personal hygiene items, canned goods and not perishables being donated, along with over $150 in cash. All proceeds went to St. Joseph’s Social Care and Thrift Store.
- The Staff Senator of the Year Award was developed by the Staff Recognition Committee to recognize a Staff Senator who promotes a spirit of unity and pride and represents Staff Senate in an exemplary manner through their vision, enthusiasm, dedication and willingness to volunteer. Our award winner was Shannon Medina who was presented with a Desk Clock and perpetual plaque that will hang in Staff Senate's display case at the Memorial Union.
- Spring Fling is scheduled for April 30th, from 11:30 am-1:00 pm in the Memorial Union Ballroom.
- U Shine This is the fourth year of what we consider a successful program that recognizes outstanding UND staff employees. This award is presented every month by the Staff Senate president to a UND staff member. The winner receives a certificate and a gift of $50. An annual Award of $250.00 is presented at the annual Staff Recognition/Meritorious Award Luncheon in May. Winners are unaware of their win until the award is presented during "special department meetings" or other gatherings. The Annual winner was Curt Foerster – EERC. This award was presented during the Staff Recognition/Meritorious Award Luncheon held on May 13, 2014.
Amber Flynn will chair the Staff Recognition Committee for 2014-15.
Ad Hoc Committees
Staff Senate also has three Ad Hoc Committess that are listed below. The three Executive Committee at-large members are the coordinators for these committees.
- Denim & Diamonds
- Parades - Jim Hanson, Coordinator
- U-Shine Award - Jessica Dunphy, Coordinator
Other University Committees Representation
Staff Senate has members who serve on the following University Committees.
- Building/Facilities Access Committee - Marsha Nelson
- Conflict of Interest/Scientific Misconduct Committee - Diane Hillebrand, Cheri Williams
- Council of State Employees (COSE) - Kim Keeley, Shannon Medina
- Healthy UND Tobacco Task Group - Kimberly Ruliffson
- North Dakota State Staff Senate - Diane Hillebrand, Sharley Kurtz, Shannon Medina
- Sexual Violence - Eileen Tronnes Nelson
- University Bookstore Advisory Committee - Nancy Krom
- University Ombuds Committee - Cheri Williams
- University Senate - Diane Hillebrand, Sharley Kurtz, Lacey Dahlen
- Work Well Committee - Jessica Dunphy