- Current Senators
- Executive Committee
- Staff Senator of the Year
- Become a Senator
- Photo Gallery
Staff Senate welcomes questions and ideas. Please click below to submit a suggestion.
Staff Senate Committees
Staff Senate has several committees that are made up of Staff Senate members. These committees provide administrative functions for Staff Senate or are a focus area for Staff Senate for some of the mission areas.
Each Staff Senator is asked to join one committee of their choice. Involvement is not limited to one and many members take part in a few. It's your chance to "GET INVOLVED"!
Bylaws/Elections Committee – reviews, drafts and recommends amendments to the bylaws and presents them to the Executive Committee and then to Staff Senate for approval. They review rules on questions relating to qualifications of electors and members, nominates and receives nominations, presents a slate of nominees, and conducts the elections.
As Past President, Diane Hillebrand will chair Bylaws and Elections for 2015-16.
Denim Days support local non-profit charities/organizations. For more information and details go to the Denim Days webpage.
2015 Denim Day Recipients (all donations support these charities)
- Altru Infant & Child Bereavement Program
- Circle of Friends Humane Society
- Community Violence Intervention Center – Light of Hope Program
- Global Friends Coalition – Resilient Youth Program
- Grand Forks Senior Center – Meals on Wheels Program
- Home Delivered Meals
- LISTEN Center – After School Program
- Lutheran Social Services – Day Report Program
- Mountainbrooke Recovery Center – Noon Meal Program
- Prairie Harvest Mental Health – Job Development Program
- Safe Kids Grand Forks
- Special Olympics ND Grand Forks
Cheri Williams will continue to serve as the Denim Day Chair for 2015-2016.
Scholarship for Dependents of Benefited Staff
Successful fundraising has once again enabled the UND Staff Senate to provide student scholarships for the 2015-2016 academic year.
The UND Staff Senate is very proud of its efforts in raising the money for these scholarships. This money was raised by 31 Days of Glory Raffle, payroll deductions, and donations. We thank you for your past support of the UND Staff Senate and look forward to your continued support in future endeavors.
Seeds for Staff Success
Successful fundraising has enabled UND Staff Senate the ability to provide professional development opportunities to UND benefited staff members. This program was developed by Staff Senate to provide staff members with a source of funding that allows them to continue their education; attend conferences and workshops; or participate in other staff development opportunities they might have an interest in. The maximum for any individual grant is $500.
Application deadlines occur once a semester: February 15, June 15 and September 15, in which funds must be used for a professional development opportunity during that specific application period. Applicants may apply for up to $500 per calendar year (January 1 - December 31).
Help us make this program a SUCCESS!!! This year, all money raised at the Denim & Diamonds Annual Staff and Faculty Celebration, which was held on Friday, September 25, 2015, at the Gorecki Alumni Center, was generously matched by President Kelley to support the mission of the program's mission.
31 Days of Glory
UND Staff Senate has been conducting the 31 Days of Glory raffle each year since it was established in 1998.
- What is it? During October and November, Staff Senators sell 600 raffle tickets at $20 each. A winner is drawn for each day of December. Monday through Friday winners receive $100 cash, Saturday winners receive $250 cash and Sunday winners receive $500 cash.
- Where do the proceeds go? Proceeds from the raffle will be used to provide grants for Seeds for Staff Success to benefited staff members.
- Who sells them? All Staff Senators!
- Who can buy a ticket? Staff, faculty, students; anyone! You don't even have to work at UND. Get your ticket early, they sell fast! You can't win if you don't buy a ticket.
Congratulations to last year's winners of the 31 Days of Glory raffle! Thank you for purchasing a ticket to support scholarships for dependents of UND staff members.
Jessica Dunphy and Diane Fugleberg will co-chair the Fundraising/Scholarship Committee for 2015-2016.
Legislative Committee – provides Staff Senate with information regarding legislative activity, placing particular emphasis on issues affecting higher education and UND staff. The committee depends on feedback from the Staff Senate to propose and initiate a coordinated effort as a result of the given information. This committee also acts as parliamentarian or source of parliamentary procedure according to Sturgis.
Stacey Borboa-Peterson will chair the Legislative Committee for 2015-16.
North Dakota State Staff Senate
The North Dakota State Staff Senate (ND SSS) serves staff members at institutions throughout the university system. The ND SSS identifies staff interests and issues; acts as a forum for staff-related matters; and promotes communication between campus staff, the NDUS chancellor and the State Board of Higher Education. The ND SSS meets at least four times a year.
UND Staff Senate President, Vice President and Past President will serve as members of the ND SSS with the Past President rotating off each year.
Public Relations Committee – works in conjunction with other Staff Senate Committees to:
- Publicize events sponsored by the Staff Senate
- Open channels of communication with the campus community
- Raise awareness about the vital role performed by staff in the operation of the University
- Develop documents and correspondence prior to submission to the Executive Committee
- Maintain the Staff Senate web page and display case
During 2014-15 they oversaw the following:
- The PR Committee has continued to review flyers and other public materials, checking grammar and spelling, and providing guidance and assistance in branding.
- The PR Committee reviewed over sixty five documents, promoting events such as 31 Days of Glory, tours and training, U-Shine, Exceptional U, Denim & Diamonds, Staff Recognition Week, Denim Day and Spring Fling.
- The PR Committee continues to produce Staff Happens, the Staff Senate newsletter. This committee plans to continue producing the newsletter twice a year after the Christmas break and during the early summer break.
- The PR Committee promotes Staff Senate in the U-Letter. Most releases are written by other committees that are responsible for the event being announced. Whether or not a release or announcement is generated by our committee, the release or announcement is reviewed by the PR Committee.
- The Staff Senate display case in the Memorial Union is maintained monthly.
- Nameplates were printed for new members.
- The PR Committee has designed and will continue to design other materials as needed. Examples of this include the site coordinator poster for Denim Day, the Spring Fling flyer, the Staff Recognition Week flyer and Staff Development workshop flyers.
- The PR Committee designed a new logo for Staff Senate and U-Shine in order to be compliant with UND identity guidelines.
Beth Moe will chair the PR Committee for 2015-16.
Staff Development Program
Staff Development Program Committee identifies, recommends, and coordinates various programs and activities that will provide professional and personal growth for all UND employees. The Vice President, also the Chair of the Staff Development Program Committee, is responsible for lining up speaker for the monthly full Staff Senate meetings. Subjects for updates and programs included; TIAA/CREF options, United Way campaign, Emergency Notification issue, University Police Department update, overall UND updates, Human Resources Leadership Program, Martin Luther King Jr. Day event in Grand Forks, legislative updates, nutrition information, HLC update, and campus parking update.
The committee is involved in the following:
Workshops. Workshops provide Staff Development opportunities. Some example of this year's workshops included:
- Got Technology? Services & Applications Available for Staff held in September 2014
- FIRST AID/CPR/AED TRAINING which took place in October 2014
- Active Shooter Training
- Green Dot Program
Campus Tours. Staff Development Program Committee continued the campus tours which have been a huge success and they included:
- Wellness Tour which was held in September of 2014
- NDUS Informational Technologies Building, March 27, 2015.
- Construction Site Tours, May 2015
The tours have been popular and will continue to get staff out of their offices and across campus to become more informed about the University.
Tubs of Love
- Each year, the University of North Dakota's Staff Senate hosts the annual Tubs of Love donation drive. Senators disburse and monitor tubs throughout the UND Campus community during the months of November and December.
- This year the Circle of Friends Humane Society and Northlands Rescue Mission were chosen as Tubs of Love recipients. Staff Senate will be collecting donations for the annual drive including dog and cat food, soft and chewy treats, toys, leashes, cat litter, cleaning supplies, men's and women's clothing (hats, scarves, gloves), toiletries and personal care items, and household products.
Pam Henderson will serve as chair for Staff Development Program Committee for 2015-16.
Staff Recognition Committee – Develops and administers events and programs to recognize and reward staff employees for their service to UND. Coordinates events such as Spring Fling and, in conjunction with Council of State Employees (COSE), plans activities for State Employee Recognition Week. This committee also administers the UND Staff Senate Senator of the Year award.
State Employee Recognition Week was held the week of September 14-18, 2015.
- Coffee and Social Hour were held in the Memorial Union Loading Dock and University Place on Monday, September 14th
- Taco-in-a-Bag was served in the Memorial Union Ballroom on Tuesday, September 15th, from 11:30 am-1:00 pm during the lunch and benefits fair. Approximately 475 staff members attended. The first 150 attendees received a free water bottle or stress ball.
- Breakfast was served for the night staff in the Terrace Dining Center on Wednesday, September 16th, from 6:00 am – 7:00 am, with 74 staff members attending. The first 50 attendees received a free water bottle or stress ball.
Pie and Ice-cream was served on Thursday, September 17th, at Carnegie Hall from
2:00 pm – 3:30 pm, where approximately 300 staff members came to enjoy an afternoon treat.
- SERW events were sponsored by Dining Services, The President’s Office, University Federal Credit Union, UND Bookstore, UND Facilities, University Senate, VPAA Office, Work Well, and Staff Senate.
- The Staff Senator of the Year Award was developed by the Staff Recognition Committee to recognize a Staff Senator who promotes a spirit of unity and pride and represents Staff Senate in an exemplary manner through their vision, enthusiasm, dedication and willingness to volunteer. Our award winner was Pam Henderson who was presented with a Desk Clock and perpetual plaque that will hang in Staff Senate's display case at the Memorial Union.
- Spring Fling is scheduled for April 28th, 2016 from 11:30 am-1:00 pm in the Memorial Union Ballroom.
- U Shine This is the fifth year of what we consider a successful program that recognizes outstanding UND staff employees. This award is presented every month by the Staff Senate president to a UND staff member. The winner receives a certificate and a gift of $50. An annual Award of $250.00 is presented at the annual Staff Recognition/Meritorious Award Luncheon in May. Winners are unaware of their win until the award is presented during "special department meetings" or other gatherings. The Annual winner was Brenda Halle – VP of Research Office. This award was presented during the Staff Recognition/Meritorious Award Luncheon held on May 12, 2015.
Amber Flynn will chair the Staff Recognition Committee for 2015-16.
Ad Hoc Committees
Staff Senate also has three Ad Hoc Committess that are listed below. The three Executive Committee at-large members are the coordinators for these committees.
- Denim & Diamonds - Trish Hodney
- Parades - Jim Hanson
- U-Shine Award - Tyler Clauson
Other University Committees Representation
Staff Senate has members who serve on the following University Committees.
- Building/Facilities Access Committee - Don Rasmuson
- Committee on Sexual Violence Prevention - Alyssa Walker
- Conflict of Interest/Scientific Misconduct Committee - Trish Hodny, Lisa Moore
- Council of State Employees (COSE) - Lacey Erickson
- Global Engagement Steering Committee - Pam Henderson
- Healthy UND Coalition - Jessica Dunphy
- Nickname Committee - Diane Hillebrand
- North Dakota State Staff Senate - Diane Hillebrand, Sharley Kurtz, Pam Henderson
- Senate Legislative Affairs Committee - Sharley Kurtz
- The President's Cabinet - Sharley Kurtz
- University Bookstore Advisory Committee - Brandon Wallace
- University Ombuds Committee - Cheri Williams
- University Senate - Sharley Kurtz, Pam Henderson, Amber Flynn
- University Senate Executive Committee - Sharley Kurtz