Staff Senate Committees
Staff Senate has several committees that are made up of Staff Senate members. These committees provide administrative functions for Staff Senate or are a focus area for Staff Senate for some of the mission areas.
Each Staff Senator is asked to join one committee of their choice. Involvement is not limited to one and many members take part in a few. It's your chance to "GET INVOLVED"!
Bylaws/Elections Committee – reviews, drafts and recommends amendments to the bylaws and presents them to the Executive Committee and then to Staff Senate for approval. They review rules on questions relating to qualifications of electors and members, nominates and receives nominations, presents a slate of nominees, and conducts the elections.
2010-11 Bylaws Changes
1. Combined the Crafts/Trades and Services
The Senate is comprised of elected members representing the various staff classifications as follows:
1000 - Administrative/Managerial & 3000 - Professional
4000 - Technical and Paraprofessional
5000 - Office Support
6000-7000 - Crafts/Trades/Service
2. Added the following committee to the list of committees:
Denim Day Committee – Advertises and accepts applications from local non-profit organizations who will receive funds generated from UND Denim Days. The committee will review applications and determine recipients of funding. The committee will publicize regular and special Denim Days, collect donations from UND employees, and disburse funds to recipients.
Other University Committees and Task Forces
The Staff Senate Executive Committee will appoint Senators and non-Senators to serve as representatives on committees as requested (see Procedures Manual.)
State Committees, Boards and/or Task Forces
- NDUSSS – The President, Vice President and Past President will serve as members of the North Dakota University System Staff Senate with the Past President rotating off each year.
- COSE – Three Senators will be selected to serve one three year term each, two who will serve as voting members and one who will serve as an alternate. The Staff Senate Executive Committee (See Procedures Manual) will appoint Senators to serve. If the Senator’s Staff Senate term expires before their COSE term, the Senator will remain on Senate until the COSE appointment has expired as well.
As Past President, Kristi Swartz will chair Bylaws and Elections for 2012-13.
Denim Days support local non-profit charities/organizations. For more information and details go to the Denim Days webpage.
2013 Denim Day Recipients (all donations support these charities)
- Altru Family YMCA - Child Care Scholarship Fund
- Altru Health Foundation - Child Life Program
- Altru Infant & Child Bereavement Program
- Circle of Friends Humane Society
- Community Violence Intervention Center - Light of Hope Program
- Global Friends Coalition
- Greater Grand Forks Senior Citizens Association - Meals on Wheels Program
- Home Delivered Meals
- Mountainbrooke Recovery Center
- Safe Kids Grand Forks
- Special Olympics North Dakota
- Third Street Clinic
- Village Family Service Center - Love & Logic Parenting Program
Scholarship for Dependents of Benefited Staff
Successful fundraising has once again enabled the UND Staff Senate to provide student scholarships for the 2013-2014 academic year.
The UND Staff Senate is very proud of its efforts in raising the money for these scholarships. This money was raised by 31 Days of Glory Raffle, payroll deductions, and donations. We thank you for your past support of the UND Staff Senate and look forward to your continued support in future endeavors.
Applications were due at Student Financial Aid by 4:00 p.m. on Friday, March 1, 2013.
Seeds for Staff Success - NEW Program
Successful fundraising has enabled UND Staff Senate the ability to provide professional development opportunities to UND benefited staff members. This program was developed by Staff Senate to provide staff members with a source of funding that allows them to continue their education; attend conferences and workshops; or participate in other staff development opportunities they might have interest in. The maximum for any individual grant is $500.
The first round of applications were due on September 15, and five staff members were awarded a total of $1,291.90 for professional development. Application deadlines occur quarterly on September 15, December 15, March 15, and June 15 .
Please see the Seeds for Staff Success flyer for some of the program information.
Help us make this program a SUCCESS!!! This year, all money raised at the Denim & Diamonds Annual Staff and Faculty Celebration which will be held on Friday, February 22, 2013, at the Gorecki Alumni Center, will be matched by President Kelley to support the mission of the program.
31 Days of Glory
UND Staff Senate has been conducting the 31 Days of Glory raffle each year since it was established in 1998.
- What is it? During October and November, Staff Senators sell 500 raffle tickets at $20 each. A winner is drawn for each day of December. Monday through Saturday winners receive $100 cash and Sunday winners receive $500 cash.
- Where do the proceeds go? Proceeds from the raffle will be used to provide scholarships for dependents of UND Staff members.
- Who sells them? All Staff Senators!
- Who can buy a ticket? Staff, faculty, students; anyone! You don't even have to work at UND. Get your ticket early, they sell fast! You can't win if you don't buy a ticket.
Congratulations to last year's winners of the 31 Days of Glory raffle! Thank you for purchasing a ticket to support scholarships for dependents of UND staff members.
Currently, more than 50 UND employees (staff and faculty) have signed up for payroll deduction to help provide scholarships for dependents of UND staff members. To apply for payroll deduction, download the following form.
Legislative Committee – provides Staff Senate with information regarding legislative activity, placing particular emphasis on issues affecting higher education and UND staff. The committee depends on feedback from the Staff Senate to propose and initiate a coordinated effort as a result of the given information. This committee also acts as parliamentarian or source of parliamentary procedure according to Sturgis.
Since 2010-11 was a legislative year, committee members tracked bills of interest for the 2011 Legislative Session. Bills of the most significant interest have been concerning NDPERS remaining a defined benefit plan as opposed to a defined contribution plan, an increase in retirement contributions and dependents remaining on health insurance longer. A joint committee was formed with members of Student, University and Staff Senates to keep communication open during the legislative session. There was also a state-wide Recommendation Committee formed to provide a recommendation on the bills concerning retirement changes. There were representatives from several institutions of higher education. Katie Douthit and Jon Gregoire were the representatives from UND.
Some of the highlights of the legislative session:
- Retirement contributions will increase by 1% for both the employee and employer starting in January 2012 and another 1% for each in January 2013
- Dependents can remain on health insurance until age 26, even if they are not a student
- Staff Senate has a non-voting seat on the State Board of Higher Education
- Dependent sick leave has gone from 40 hours to 80 hours per year, with a possible additional 10% of balance to be used upon approval
Darin Lee will serve as Legislative Chair for 2012-13.
North Dakota State Staff Senate
The North Dakota State Staff Senate (NDSSS) serves staff members at institutions throughout the university system. The NDSSS identifies staff interests and issues; acts as a forum for staff-related matters; and promotes communication between campus staff, the NDUS chancellor and the State Board of Higher Education. The NDSSS meets at least four times a year.
UND Staff Senate President, Vice President and Past President will serve as members of the North Dakota University System Staff Senate with the Past President rotating off each year.
Public Relations Committee – works in conjunction with other Staff Senate Committees to:
- Publicize events sponsored by the Staff Senate
- Open channels of communication with the campus community
- Raise awareness about the vital role performed by staff in the operation of the University
- Develop documents and correspondence prior to submission to the Executive Committee
- Maintain the Staff Senate web page and display case
During 2010-11 they oversaw the following:
- The PR Committee has continued to review flyers and other public materials, checking grammar and spelling, and providing guidance and assistance in branding.
- The PR Committee continues to produce Staff Happens, the Staff Senate newsletter.
- The PR Committee promotes Staff Senate in the U-Letter. Announcements have been submitted for U-Shine winners, the Emerald and Ice Gala, the Spring Fling, and other notices.
- The Staff Senate display case in the Memorial Union is maintained monthly.
- The PR Committee assisted the Emerald and Ice Gala with several designs such as tickets, posters, banners and digital signs.
- Nameplates were printed for new members.
- The PR Committee has also and will continue to design other materials as needed. Examples of this include the site coordinator poster for Denim Day, the Staff Recognition poster, and various possible Staff Ambassadors logos.
John Lee will continue on as Public Relations chair for 2012-13.
Staff Development Program
Staff Development Program Committee identifies, recommends, and coordinates various programs and activities that will provide professional and personal growth for all UND employees. Staff Development Program Committee also organizes programs for Staff Senate meetings.
The committee is involved in the following:
Providing Monthly Speakers for the Staff Senate Meeting
- Recent speakers include Alice Brekke, Vice President for Finance and Operations; Scott Roche, TIAA/CREF Financial Consultant; Margaret Myers, University United Way representative, and members of the Emergency Notification team.
Informational Campus Tours
- There was a tour of Hughes Fine Arts and several tours of the Gorecki Alumni Center. An informational tour of the other centers on campus is planned for Spring. Previous tours have included EERC, Aerospace, Aerospace at the Airport, School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Memorial Union, Facilities, and the Steam Plant. This has been popular and will continue to get staff out of their offices and across campus to become more informed about the University.
Christmas Potluck Donation
- The committee has decided to do a food and personal care drive and the donations will go to St. Joseph's Social Care and Thrift Store. Last year we provided "holiday cheer packages" to senior citizens. We have received many thank you letters from the Senior Citizens that we'd like to share. Thank You - UND
Goal Setting Workshop
- One of our own Staff Senators, Joleen Marsh, held a goal setting workshop on October 16th at 9:00 am in the Memorial Room at the Union. Another session is being planned for February.
Communication Skills Workshop
- "Believing in Each Other" communication skills workshop was held in the Spring of 2012 with one of our own Staff Senators, Diane Hillebrand.
Staff Ambassador Program
- Tony Trimarco, Director of the Memorial Union, the Human Resources staff, and members from Staff Senate have met on a regular basis to plan and develop a working plan for the Ambassador Program to present to the University.
As Vice-President/President Elect, Diane Hillebrand will serve as chair for Staff Development for 2012-13.
Staff Recognition Committee – Develops and administers events and programs to recognize and reward staff employees for their service to UND. Coordinates events such as Spring Fling and, in conjunction with Council of State Employees (COSE), plans activities for State Employee Recognition Week. This committee also administers the UND Staff Senate Senator of the Year award.
State Employee Recognition Week
- State Employee Recognition Week (SERW) was held September 10 through September 14, 2012. On Tuesday, September 11, 2012 approximately 388 staff were served Taco in a Bag; also the Work Well Committee provided sliced fruits and vegetables as a healthy addition to our menu. Wednesday, September 12 we served 93 Night Staff at a Breakfast that was held for them in the Terrace Cafeteria; and on Thursday, September 13 we held the Courtyard Picnic in the Ballroom and served about 395 staff members. For the Picnic event we had pie and ice cream for dessert that was provided by Peter Johnson and the University Relations Department. In addition to the food celebrations – There was a Scavenger Hunt that started on Monday and went through Thursday: Things 2C@UND. This was put together by the COSE committee as something more in the fitness category. There were 22 participants in this event and there were prizes that were drawn at random by those that completed the course. Friday of that week was Wear your Colors Day ranging from 1-25+ years. The charity this year was the Listen Drop-In Center of Grand Forks and $140.00 dollars was donated to them by Staff Senate.
Staff Senator of the Year
- The Staff Senator of the Year award was developed by the Staff Recognition Committee to recognize a Staff Senator who promotes a spirit of unity and pride and represents Staff Senate in an exemplary manner through their vision, enthusiasm, dedication and willingness to volunteer. Our award winner was Shelley Pohlman, who was presented with a desk clock and perpetual plaque that will hang in Staff Senate’s display case at the Memorial Union.
- Spring Fling was held on Friday, April 27, 2012 at the Memorial Union Ballroom. This year we served BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches, veggie burgers, potato salad, chips, pickles, fruit, Coke products, water and assorted ice cream bars. We served approximately 525 employees. A table was set up to sell COSE clothing, in additional to two tables set up for a free will offering and/or non-perishable food items to donate to the local food shelves. Spring Fling was held in conjunction with Work Well and their Health & Wellness Fair.
- This is the fourth year of what we consider to be a very successful program that recognizes outstanding UND staff employees. This award is presented every month by the Staff Senate President and the U-Shine Coordinator to a staff member that has been nominated for going above and beyond the call of duty in his/her job. This is different than the yearly meritorious award. There has to be a specific incident or act of kindness that was displayed by the employee. The winner each month receives a certificate and a gift of $50.00. An annual award of $250.00 is presented at the annual Staff Recognition Banquet in May. Winners are unaware of their win until the award is presented during a "special department meeting" or other gathering which is arranged in advance. The annual winner for 2012 was Jay Smith from the Memorial Union. Kim Keeley, Member-at-Large, has volunteered to assist in organizing the U-Shine Award process as part of her nomination to be a Member-at-Large.
Marsha Nelson is the chair of the Staff Recognition Committee for 2012-13.
Co-Chair for the State Employees Recognition Week was Shelley Pohlman (COSE member)
Ad Hoc Committees
Staff Senate also has three Ad Hoc Committess that are listed below. The three Executive Committee at-large members are the chairs for these committees.
- Denim & Diamonds - Patricia Hodny, Chair
- Parades - Leyton Rodahl, Chair
- U-Shine Award - Kim Keeley, Chair
Other University Committees Representation
Staff Senate has members who serve on the following University Committees.
- Building/Facilities Access Committee - Marsha Nelson
- Chester Fritz Auditorium Advisory Committee - Kim Keeley
- Conflict of Interest/Scientific Misconduct Committee - Diane Hillebrand, Cheri Williams
- Council of State Employees (COSE) - Patricia Hodny, Kim Keeley, Shannon Medina
- Diversity Council - Thomas Brockling, Kristine Paranica, William Young
- Healthy UND Tobacco Task Group - Kimberly Ruliffson
- North Dakota State Staff Senate - Diane Hillebrand, Kristi Swartz, Trish Young
- Sexual Violence - Patricia Hodny
- University Bookstore Advisory Committee - Nancy Krom
- University Ombuds Committee - Cheri Williams
- University Senate - Diane Hillebrand, Sharley Kurtz, Trish Young
- Work Well Committee - Shelley Pecka