- Residence Hall Living
- First-year Requirement
- Virtual Tours
- Living Learning Communities
- Move In
- Move Out
- People Who Care
- Frequently Asked Questions
- RA Hiring
- Apartment Living
- Student Apartments
- Faculty Apartments
- Rental Rates
- Move In
- Move Out
- Your Community
- Frequently Asked Questions
Check-out schedules will be posted by the RA on Reading and Review Day. You must sign up for a check-out at least 24 hours prior to your move-out.
The check-out process is simple and quick, but very important. If for some reason you are unable to line up a time with your own RA, they will help you set up a time with another staff member.
Check-out times are between 8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
If you need to check-out before or after these times or if you signed up for an extended contract and you will be here past the time the hall closes, special arrangements can be made through your Hall Director. You must schedule a check-out time at least 24 hours prior to check-out. Residents who fail to check-out with a staff member will be charged $50, in addition to the cost of key replacement/recore and any cleaning or damage charges.
When your scheduled check-out time arrives, all of your belongings must be out of your room. Your area should be clean and in the same set-up arrangements as when you moved in. When you check-out with your RA, please make sure you have taken care of the following items:
- Room has been thoroughly cleaned (see room cleaning instructions).
- Return safety railing, ladder, and Rental Fridges to Open Service Center (if applicable).
- HDTV boxes are returned to a service center or Housing staff member.
- Lights are turned off.
- Keys are turned in to RA.
- Check-out forms have been properly completed.
- RA has been told of any repairs needed in room.
- Forwarding address updated in your Housing Self Service.
Clean Your Room
Thoroughly clean room. Cleanliness is the absence of dirt, including dust, stains, bad smells, and garbage. For your room cleanliness upon checkout includes, but is not limited to:
- All room surfaces wiped down. Floor is swept and mopped (or vacuumed if applicable).
- Wardrobe, dresser, and desk are emptied and wiped down.
- Room door, ceilings, and walls are free of tacks, tape, adhesive strips, moon/stars/comets.
- Beds are unbunked and set to the correct height. Mattress is wiped down.
- Room window has the screen in place, is free of stickers, smudges, cobwebs, etc, and is closed and locked. Leave blinds open.
- All furniture is clean and in the condition that was noted upon check-in. Discrepancies may result in feed being assessed.
- All trash removed to outside dumpster. Trash and recycling bins have been emptied and cleaned.
Common assessed fees are outlined below. These figures do not include the cost of labor to address these maintenance concerns.
Door & Keys
Lost Outside Entry Door Key $30.00
Lost Room or Suite Door Key $50.00
Peep Hole Replacement $18.00
Wall, Ceiling, Floor
12" x 12" Ceiling Tile Replacement $36.00 + min labor
24" x 24" Suspended Ceiling Tile Replacement $21.25 each
24" x 48" Suspended Ceiling Tile Replacement $19.10 each
24" x 60" Suspended Ceiling Tile Replacement $22.40 each
Patching and painting of holes in wall up to 6” - $160.00
Patching and painting of holes in wall 6”-12” - $210.00
Paint Room Ceiling $150.00
Paint 1 - Room wall $100.00
Paint 4 - Room walls $350.00
Remove nail holes from walls (time est.)$46.30/hr.
Floor Tile Replacement $17.50 min labor Plus $3.00 per tile
Drawer Repair $19.78
Desk Drawer Front Replacement $37.78
Desk (Walsh) replacement $487.60
Desk (Noren, Brannon, Selke, West, and McVey) replacement $345.00
Desk (University Place) replacement $374.00
Desk Drawer Front Replacement (University Place) $64.29
Desk Chair Replacement $130.53
Desk Chair Replacement (University Place) $198.00
Reattach Wardrobes $54.11 ea.
Reattach Desks (if undamaged) $35.85 ea.
Swanson Wardrobe replacement $920.00 ea.
3 Drawer Chest Replacement (University Place) $313.00 ea.
Bed Frames $83.60
Bed Leg Coasters $10.75 ea.
Bed Post Caps $8.34 ea.
Mattress Replacement $96.14
Mattress Hole or Soiled (1 side) - Recover $48.07
Loft Kit (Bek & Squires) 2 ends and stabilizer $183.00 (+$50 shipping)
Loft Kit Bed Ends (Bek & Squires) 2 ends and spring $189.00 (+$50 shipping)
Bed Loft Replacement (Noren, Brannon, Selke, West, McVey, Johnstone Fulton) $378.00
Bed Loft Replacement (University Place) $330.00
Wood Ends (Noren, Brannon, Selke, West, McVey, Johnstone Fulton, University Place) $309.00
Springs (Noren, Brannon, Selke, West, McVey, Johnstone Fulton, University Place) $207.00
Steel Channel (Noren, Brannon, Selke, West, McVey, Johnstone Fulton, University Place) $16.00
Guard Rail $82.00
Window screen replacement $65.70
Replace Mini Blind $68.00
Replace two panels drapes (one window) $235.00
Clean Drapes - one window $55.83
Vertical Blinds - 1 vein $22.95
Upper Level Bedroom Blinds (University Place) $139.00
Upper Level Living Room Blinds (University Place) $164.00
Main Floor Bedrooms Blinds (University Place) $137.00
Main Floor Living room (University Place) $174.00
Vane Replacement (University Place) $18.90
Wand Replacement (University Place) $6.90
What if my roommate is staying in the room?
Complete the cleaning process for your side of the room. UND Housing Staff will still check though the items listed above.
Will I be charged a cancellation fee?
A cancellation fee is assessed if you will remain a student at UND. Please refer to the Residence Hall Room and Meal Plan License Agreement.
How do I get my mail after I checkout?
Be sure to fill out the forwarding address on your checkout paperwork, update your address in Campus Connection and contact individual businesses who frequently mail you items with your summer address.
MORE MOVE OUT TIPS
Trash bags may be obtained from your RA. All trash is to be taken to the dumpsters. Place furniture and other large objects you are going to throw away beside the dumpster.
If you have a bike chained to a bike rack, don't forget to take it with you or move it to Noren Hall if you are staying for summer school. Bikes left after May 17, 2017 may be removed by the University.
If you live in a suite, the housekeepers will not clean your bathroom during finals week unless you make arrangements with your BST.
Your Postal Mail
During the summer months, all mail received by the Housing Office is forwarded to the Forwarding Address indicated in your Housing Self Service under Personal Information>Addresses.
To receive your mail faster, please:
- Change the address of all your magazines and newspapers before you leave school for the summer. (Non-1st class mail will not be forwarded.)
- Notify friends and family of your new summer address and when the address will be in effect.
- Go to your Housing Self Service, "Personal Information" and change your "Forwarding Address" to where you want to receive mail for the summer. This change occurs immediately.
- If you are attending summer school, please notify family, friends and all business contacts that all correspondence must be addressed to:
Room XXX Noren Hall
Grand Forks, ND 58202
The "XXX" is your summer assignment room number. Incoming mail with any other hall address (example: Squires Hall or Walsh Hall) will be forwarded to your home address.
Do you need to stay in your hall after the hall closes on Friday, May 12 at 7:00 p.m.?
Contact your RA or Hall Director or sign up for a Late Departure or Summer School Contract in your Housing Self Service. If you are staying for the graduation weekend, you must be checked out of your room by Noon Sunday, May 15.
Return Rental Fridges
Wilkerson Service Center, 12 - 5 p.m. on Reading & Review Day