- UND Athletics Student Ticket Office
- Computer Lab
- Credit Union
- Dakota Student
- One-Stop Student Services
- Student Government
- Student Involvement
- Student Success Center
- UCard Office
From the Director
Welcome to the Memorial Union. Just like the Union itself, our website provides a lot of information about the wide range of services and opportunities we offer students and the campus community.
From a personal perspective, I would like to share how I view our mission here at the Memorial Union. I would also like to share my personal vision and the values I try and bring to my job every day.
Mission: Our mission statement should be simple: "Serve Students." An organization’s mission statement should say what you do and who you do it for. I believe this says it perfectly and concisely: "Serve Students;" our business is to "serve" and "students" are the number one reason we are here. Adding any more words is unnecessary.
Vision: My vision reflects how I believe the Memorial Union would look like if we do everything "right." These statements also support the vision of the University. The components of this vision are as follows:
- Meeting the needs of students remains our top priority.
- The campus community will see the Union as safe, efficient, attractive and welcoming, with future development guided by a carefully researched plan.
- The Union will have a growing reputation as a vibrant and exciting place (the Heart of Campus).
- The number and variety of extracurricular learning, cultural, and entertainment opportunities continue to increase, positively contributing to the quality of life enjoyed by students.
- The Union will be seen as a responsible steward of resources, and its staff is characterized as sensitive and responsive to all stakeholders.
- Finally, the Union will be fondly regarded by students after their graduation as having played an essential role in their UND and campus experience.
Values: Values say a lot about us and our organizations; they make a statement about who we are and what we believe. They reflect what "behavior" we feel is important to us as a "community" of workers; they let people (outsiders) know how we do business (how they can expect us to act in the process); and they influence our choice and guide us in decision-making. Values are behavior patterns and beliefs that have the greatest importance and influence on our lives.
Below are the values I expect from everyone including myself:
- Fun – We should enjoy our work and feel good about being here. Our workplace should balance fun with professionalism.
- Honesty – It’s important that everyone can be trusted and that we are truthful with each other.
- Responsibility – Dependability is essential; we count on everyone to meet their obligations.
- Initiative – I appreciate those who don’t wait to be told what to do and those who look around to see what needs to be done; especially when things are slow.
- Great service – We should exceed expectations through friendly, helpful, and welcoming service.
- Open communications – Everyone needs to feel comfortable talking with their supervisors; if not, talk to me.
- Ownership – Treat your work area and the Union as your own.
- Feedback – Feedback is the key to learning, training, and continuous improvement. It’s important you receive feedback from supervisors; high morale, productivity, and retention come when people feel valued, appreciated, and feel they make a difference.
- Finally, Learning – I am passionate in my belief that employment at the Memorial Union should be a learning experience, and I am deeply committed to this goal.
With the help and support of a great staff, great student employees, and outstanding relations with all our stakeholders, together we can make the Memorial Union a great place for everyone. That’s my wish.
Memorial Union Director