- Adobe Connect
- Adobe Presenter
- Blackboard Collaborate
- Blackboard IM
- Blackboard SafeAssign
- Blackboard Voice Tools
- Clickers (TurningPoint)
- Digital Measures
- Read and Write Gold
Classroom ServicesComputer PurchasingEmail Employee Self-Service (HRMS)File StorageInstructional Design Mobile Device Support Network Access PC & Mac SupportSecuritySoftware Downloads & Purchases Technical Requirements TelecommunicationTraining & Tutorials
Adobe Connect for Faculty/Staff
Adobe Connect enables live, interactive classes and group collaboration. This five minute tutorial gives an overview about Adobe Connect and some of the things it can do. This comparison guide compares Adobe Connect and Blackboard Collaborate.
On December 30, 2014, Adobe Connect upgraded to version 9.3. This page reviews What's new in Adobe Connect 9.3. Support documents on this page will be updated to version 9.3 as soon as possible.
1. Request an Adobe Connect room.
- Class use (including office hours): request a meeting room using this request form. Please request a classroom even if wishing to use an existing Adobe Connect classroom. Note: this is not the same as requesting a Blackboard course.
- Seminar rooms may be requested for grant work, university meetings, interview/position searches, student organization meetings and other special events. Please go to this site to check the availability of Seminar Rooms and request a room. Please allow two business days for Tech Support to complete the necessary scheduling on the Adobe Connect system.
If this this is your first time using a seminar room, contact UND Tech Support to confirm arrangements.
Collaboration Services are available to provide video and collaboration related systems and services in support of education and research. To request collaboration services, visit this page.
2. Once the request has been processed items will be added to your Blackboard course. Review the items and then make them available for students. (Class use only)
3. Complete a preflight or podium training, as applicable.
- If teaching from a home or office computer, run through the checklist. The last step of the checklist is to sign-up for a preflight. Go to this site to see available preflight times and to sign up for a preflight. Please click Chat with Us on the menu to the right to begin a chat with UND Tech Support when it is time for the preflight appointment.
- If teaching from a UND classroom, contact Classroom Services to schedule a podium training. 701-777-6325.
Accessing Adobe Connect
To log in to an Adobe Connect room or the server, enter your NDUS.Identifier and password. Visit this website for username and password questions.
Password changes sync at 5 am daily. Continue to use the old password or Guest access until the password has synced.
Tutorials and Help Guides
Many workshops are available. Click here to view information and sign up for workshops.
Adobe Connect 8: Jumpstart for Hosts (2min 52sec) Reviews what is found in the meeting menu, including preferences. Explains where to change Layouts and pods. Reviews audio options, camera setup and status options. It explains three different types of views available in the Attendee list and how to customize Chat options. Note: This video is on version 8. We are now using version 9.3. Many items in this video are the same, however a few features may look a bit different.
- Quick Start Guide for Hosts version 8
Using the Various Pods
- Using the Attendees Pod in Adobe Connect 8(2min 3 sec) This video looks at three different attendee pod views and what they do. It also addresses the change in how Hosts manage breakout rooms.
Share Pod: Screen Sharing Control Panel With the release of Adobe Connect 9.3, a screen sharing control panel will automatically be launched whenever a user shares his or her screen. The control panel - which is never seen by anyone other than the person doing the screen sharing - gives you the ability to see exactly what is being shared by showing you a preview.
In addition to the preview, the screen sharing control panel also enables you to interact with the rest of the meeting. You've got access to the video pod, audio controls, attendees, chat, and notifications.
Share Pod: Sharing Screens and Applications (3min 59sec) This video reviews how to share your computer screen, window or application. It includes how to add whiteboard annotations and how to give screen control to a Presenter.
Share Pod: Sharing PowerPoint Presentations (4min 10sec) This video reviews how to share a previously uploaded PowerPoint and how to upload a new one. It explains the use of the Sync and Full Screen options.
Using the Video Pod In this version of Adobe Connect, new layout options were introduced for the video pod. In addition to the standard grid layout, customers can select a new filmstrip layout. A host or presenter in the meeting can click on one of the video feeds to promote it to a larger size than the other videos. This helps to add focus to the main speaker for the event, meeting or classroom. A host or presenter in the room can easily switch the video to a different feed. The other video feeds appear below the main speaker side by side in an arrangement that looks like a filmstrip. The filmstrip can accommodate quite a few video feeds in the layout, but scroll bars will appear if they won't all fit under the main video.
Creating a poll (3min 15sec) Learn how to create a poll, how to share poll results with meeting attendees, and how to analyze poll data.
- New whiteboard tools with version 9.3 The whiteboard has a new toolbar that opens to the left. In addition to some new drawing tools, you'll notice a new color picker that enables you to specify hue, saturation and brightness values to select exactly the color you want.
More Helpful Tutorials
- Setting meeting preferences (2min 10sec) This video explains different options for preference settings in an Adobe Connect session including settings for background, room bandwidth, and pods.
- Recording a meeting (3min 29sec) This tutorial demonstrates how to start and stop a recording and how to view recordings. It explains how to edit and create offline recordings.
- Occasionally web camera views will freeze. To resolve, verify the settings below are selected, then exit and re-enter the Adobe Connect room.
- Meeting > Preferences> Video- Video quality should be set to Low (slider moved to the far left)
Meeting > Preferences> Video- Aspect ratio should be set to Standard (4:3)
- Sometimes when loading a PDF or PowerPoint (PPT and PPTX) presentation using the Share Pod an error message displays saying that the upload failed, however the PDF or PowerPoint does successfully load in the Share Pod once exited from the “Select Document to Share” dialogue window. Upload items prior to the beginning of class whenever possible and verify that the content uploaded successfully before class begins.
Meeting Rooms should be requested each semester. Meeting rooms will not be recycled.
Adobe Connect rooms will start being created approximately one month before the start of term. Once this window is open, Adobe Connect requests will be processed within two business days. A new Connect room will be created, and information about the Adobe Connect rooms will be added to the corresponding Blackboard course. These items will be left unavailable so that the instructor can update the item and make it available for students when they are ready.
If you need to use a Seminar Room, please contact UND Tech Support to make arrangements.
Meeting rooms are set to allow only registered users or accepted guests. With this setting, anyone who is in the IdM (Identity Management) system can log in to the room, or guests may request entry.
Users are added as participants, and instructors can set the Adobe Connect room to automatically promote participants to presenter status if desired. Hosts status is given to a user based on the request form information. In most cases, participants/presenters cannot enter the Adobe Connect room unless a Host is already logged in.
Two weeks after the end of the term Hosts will be changed to Participant status in a room.
Seminar Room access and role settings vary depending on the seminar needs.
Adobe Connect meeting and seminar rooms, recordings and associated content (uploaded PowerPoint, PDF and flash files, etc.) will be archived and removed from the Breeze server after one year plus one term. Additional information can be found on the CILT Digital File Retention policy website.
CILT retains the archived files digital files of courses in accordance with UND records management guidelines.
Content Size Limitations
Currently there are no size limitations on content associated with Adobe Content Meeting or Seminar room.
Room Titles and URLs
For reoccurring Adobe Connect meetings, the naming scheme is Term Dept###: Full Course name. For example: Spring2013 Coun522: Management of School Counseling Programs. The URL is made up of three parts: TermYRDept###. For example: spring2013swk522, fall2012coun500, etc.
The naming scheme and URL is flexible for one-time Adobe Connect meetings.
The Seminar room Title and URL will vary depending on the seminar needs and specifications.
The Adobe Connect server syncs with IdM (Identity Management) daily at 5am. For example, If a user changes his/her IdM password at 3pm, the new password will not work with the Adobe Connect server until 5am the next day.