- Adobe Connect
- Adobe Presenter
- Blackboard Collaborate
- Blackboard IM
- Blackboard SafeAssign
- Blackboard Voice Tools
- Clickers (TurningPoint)
- Digital Measures
- Read and Write Gold
Classroom ServicesComputer PurchasingEmail Employee Self-Service (HRMS)File StorageInstructional Design Mobile Device Support Network Access PC & Mac SupportSecuritySoftware Downloads & Purchases Technical Requirements TelecommunicationTraining & Tutorials
TurningPoint Response Systems
Audience response systems (clickers) allow students in the classroom to instantly provide feedback, answer questions, and vote in response to questions posed. Students may respond by using a "clicker" (a portable, handheld device that allows them to vote or make a selection by pressing a button), or by setting up ResponseWare on a web-enabled device such as a cell phone, laptop or mobile device. Using a clicker or audience response system can significantly change classroom interaction by enabling instructors to assess students' knowledge, keep their attention, provide immediate feedback, and encourage all students to participate.
- Verify that a TurningPoint receiver is installed in the classroom that will be used by CILT Helpline phone in the room or contacting CILT Classroom Services at 701-777-6305.
- Download the TurningPoint software. In the Polling Software section, select TurningPoint 5. The registration needs to be filled out before the download option will appear.
- Once installed, open the TurningPoint software program. You will see that the software looks like PowerPoint with the addition of a TurningPoint ribbon.
- If you wish to allow your students to use web-enabled devices such as a cell phone, PDA or laptop, a ResponseWare account must be set up. Contact UND Tech Support to request an account. Once added, Turning Technologies will send an email with the username and password. Upon receiving the login information, follow these steps.
- Contact the UND Bookstore to let them know you will be using ResponseCards (clickers) in your course, and let them know how many students are registered. Advise your students to purchase a ResponseCard, or to obtain the ResponseWare program on a web-enabled device, if you wish to use that feature. If students are allowed to respond anonymously they do not need to purchase/register the ResponseWare program.
Training & Tutorials
- Ask Meaningful Questions - learn how to engage students by asking the right type of questions.
- PowerPoint Polling - learn how to get started with PowerPoint polling in just 10 easy steps.
- Visit the TurningPoint website to access additional training resources including help guides, tutorials, and self-paced training.
Known Issues & Troubleshooting Tips
- Most rooms are set to use channel 41 by default. If you feel there is interference because a nearby classroom is using the same channel, contact Classroom Services using the phone on the podium or by calling 777-6325.
- Although the 2008 version of TurningPoint is available and does allow users to create presentations, it is not compatible with Blackboard and will not work with the classroom computers. Instead, download the latest TurningPoint software (see Getting Started section above) and save your presentation in the new version.
- After the participant list has been loaded for a course, use the update feature to pull newly added/dropped students and ResponseCard/ResponseWare information instead of loading it again. The update option can be found in the Integrations section.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between ResponseCards and ResponseWare?
Response cards are frequently referred to as "clickers". They are hand-held devices that need to be purchased.
ResponseWare is an app that can be installed on a device so that respondents can use a mobile device or laptop to respond instead of a ResponseCard.
Is there a cost associated with ResponseCards or ResponseWare?
ResponseCards (clickers) can be purchased for around $45 new.
ResponseWare has two options. If the instructor wishes to allow students to respond anonymously, the student does not need to register the ResponseWare and it is free. If the instructor wishes to track the responses, students need to register the ResponseWare which does have a fee.
Do all UND Classrooms have a receiver and work with TurningPoint Response Systems?
Several buildings and rooms are ready to use TurningPoint Response Systems. Contact Classroom Services at 777-6325 to see if the room you are teaching in is set up for TurningPoint.
What is the server information used during integration?
- Server address: https://online.und.edu
- Login information: NDUS.Identifier and password. Visit this website for username and password questions.
Why are some Participant names blank when viewing the participant list?
If a student hasn't registered his or her ResponseCard (clicker), the participant list will simply display their device ID without their name. Advise students to register their ResponseCard in Blackboard. Once the student(s) register their ResponseCard, the instructor may update the participant list and then re-export the data to Blackboard's Grade Center.
|Normal||All systems normal|