The Web pages and PDF documents on this website can be provided in alternative formats upon request. For assistance, please call the University System Office at 701.328.2960 (voice). For TTY Communication, contact Relay North Dakota at 800.366.6888 or dial 711. More information on Relay North Dakota services is available on the Relay North Dakota website.
General Accessibility Standards
UND is committed to providing equitable access to its resources, including the University website. To that end, UND recommends compliance with the 2.0 version of the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG).
To be accessible under the WCAG standards, a Web page must be:
- Information and user interface components must be presentable to users in ways they can perceive. For example, hearing impaired visitors need transcripts or captions for videos.
- User interface components and navigation must be operable. For example, visually impaired visitors cannot use a mouse, and therefore need controls that work with the keyboard.
- Information and the operation of user interface must be understandable.
- For example, the text fields in forms need to be clearly labeled.
- Content must be robust enough that it can be interpreted reliably by a wide variety of user agents, including assistive technologies. For example, the HTML tags that make up a Web page need to be properly nested and closed.
The WCAG standard defines specific criteria for meeting these goals and lays out three levels of compliance:
- Level A covers the features which are absolutely necessary for basic accessibility. UND requires compliance with this level.
- Level AA includes helpful and important accessibility features. UND recommends compliance with this level unless you have a good reason not to comply.
- Level AAA expands the list of features even further. UND encourages compliance with this level when practical.