Professional Development for Educators works with K-12 school administrators and other providers to submit, review and provide credit for locally designed and delivered professional learning opportunities. Your target audience of educators will receive one 2900-level graduate professional development credit for every 15 clock hours of instruction from your learning event or course. Requesting credit is free and easy to do with our online credit approval request.
Are you hosting a conference, learning event, study group, course or putting together a series of professional learning events for teachers, principals or school counselors?
If yes, get your staff development approved for graduate professional development (PD) credit through the University of North Dakota. Educators completing the credit requirements may use their PD credit for general teaching license renewal and district salary-lane changes.
If your learning opportunity is approved for PD credit, UND will provide participating educators a secure online credit registration site. The credit recording fee is $50 per credit, payable via credit card or company check made out to UND.
Professional Development Event Options
Targeted Professional Learning
Concentrated training or sustained collaborative learning events focus on a topic or theme and consist of a minimum 15 instructional hours. These events may be face-to-face, online or blended (combination of face-to-face and online). Events include:
- Seminars or institutes
- Study groups or book studies
- Professional Learning Communities (collaborative teams)
- Online courses
Cumulative Credit or "Cafeteria" Plans:
Planned district or consortium programs allow educators to select a variety of short-term training opportunities/learning events and accumulate or "bank" their hours toward credit over a school year.
Credit Approval Criteria
- One graduate professional development credit is awarded for every 15 hours of instructional time.
- Meals, breaks, exhibits and other non-instructional activities are not counted toward credit.
- Instructor(s), Instructors of Record or Facilitators must hold a master's degree or higher.
- For multi-speaker activities, 75% of the total instructional time must be provided by presenters with master's degrees or higher.
- Please complete the required UND Credit Approval Request. Choose the type of professional development option. Include all required documentation
as specified on the online form. There is no cost to apply for credit approval.
- Submit the UND Credit Approval Request. Supporting documentation is preferred 20 business days prior to the start of your
event. If your activity is less than 1 month away, please contact UND at laura.whitmore@UND.edu or 701.777.4814.
- You'll receive notification of credit approval or disapproval within 2 weeks of submission
if all supporting documentation is submitted. Omissions will cause delays in the approval
- If approved for professional development credit, UND will provide a secure online registration form where participants can register and pay. The fee is $50 per credit, payable to the University of North Dakota via credit card or check.