International Travel Registration (Non-Study Abroad)
UND faculty, staff, and students traveling internationally for university-sponsored purposes must register their travel with the International Center. University-sponsored purposes can include, but are not limited to, conference participation, site visits, presentations, teaching abroad, student organization trips, and research excursions.
International Travel Registration Steps
To register your international travel with the International Center, follow the steps below. Be sure to review the appropriate sections below for Individual Travel or Group Travel*, depending on your travel needs.
*Faculty-Directed Study Abroad Programs are exempt from this process as participants will be registered through their application.
1. Research Your Destination
- Research specific country information, recent or current travel warnings and alerts, and passport and visa requirements at Travel.State.Gov. Refer to Diversity & Inclusion for additional information.
- Research vaccination, health, and wellness information for your destination at the Traveler’s Center of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
2. Register Your Trip
Notify the International Center Study Abroad (ICSA) Office by email as soon as you are planning on traveling.
- Fill out and submit the appropriate registration form:
- Individual: International Travel Registration Form - individual
- Group: International Travel Registration Form - group
- Group leader should fill out form
- Only one form submitted per group
- Include all participant information in the same form
- Send a copy of your passport to the International Center.
- When applicable, international medical insurance will be charged to your Campus Connection
- For current policy information visit Health & Safety. Contact ICSA for information on cost as it varies based on length of time abroad.
- Download UND SafeCampus app.
- Enroll in State Department STEP program.
- Faculty/Staff only: review Travel Outside of the United States Workers Compensation information from the UND Department of Public Safety (DPS)
- Faculty/Staff only: submit Travel Outside the U.S. Form to UND Department of Public Safety (DPS).
- Students only: Sign UND Waiver & Release
3. Prepare for Departure
- Make photocopies or digital images of your important documents including the photo page of your passport, related visa information, and any vaccinations required for your destination. Keep these copies in a safe and separate location from the originals.
- Don’t forget to inform your financial institution(s) (bank and credit card) that you will be traveling overseas, and also make copies of important account information in case of problems. Keep these copies in a safe and separate location from the originals.
- Although most items are available abroad, you will want to consider any prescription medications, extra contact lenses and/or eye glasses, a high quality guide book, language dictionary or phrase book, and high quality sun protection and/or bug repellents that may be of use while traveling. These items are often the hardest to find overseas.
- Follow individual UND Travel & Expenses protocol for travel reimbursement and absence from campus.
- Update the International Center if your travel plans change.