Social Media Analytics Online Course
This course introduces basic concepts, tools, and advantages and disadvantages of social media analytics, with a hands-on approach of how to collect, manage, visualize, analyze, and interpret digital data from various online platforms.
- Online - Self-Paced Enroll Anytime
- EST. time to complete:
- 3 to 9 Months
- $384.88 per credit
About Social Media Analytics
An immense social media landscape—Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and other online platforms—has revolutionized how individuals and organizations consume information and make decisions. With the unprecedented volume, velocity, and variety of digital traces, social media data has been considered the new gold in social marketing, crisis responses, political campaigns, and public health monitoring, among many others. In the gold rush of the digital age, however, it is all too easy to be overwhelmed by the massive amount of data without extracting actionable insights.
The primary objective of this self-paced course is to increase students’ analytical literacy in a landscape that involves social media initiatives and data. The course will introduce students to basic concepts, tools, and advantages and disadvantages of social media analytics. Emphasis will be on hands-on experience of how to collect, manage, visualize, analyze, and interpret digital data from various online platforms. The class will culminate with an analytics report in which students will present analytical findings and make recommendations to a real-world client.
By the end of the course, you should be able to:
- Describe the value of social media analytics in addressing business or academic problems
- Understand the basic concepts, techniques, and best practices of social media analytics
- Understand the limitations of social media analytics
- Gain experience in collecting, managing, visualizing, and analyzing social media data
- Communicate analytical findings and insights to end clients in presentations and analytics reports
Students have 3 to 9 months to complete this course from the time of enrollment. You may work at your own pace and complete lessons on your own schedule, submitting up to three items per week for grading. This course contains 14 lessons designed to focus your study of social media analytics and help you achieve the course learning objectives/outcomes. You will work through a combination of required readings, lecture videos, and assignments. Lesson topics include:
- Creating value with social media analytics
- Understanding social media
- Understanding social media analytics
- Aligning analytics with business objectives
- Creating a social media strategy assignment
- Introduction to R: A crash course
- Network analytics: Theory and application
- Network analytics with R
- Collecting network data with NodeXL
- Text analytics: Theory and application
- Text analytics with Netlytic and R
- Network and text analytics assignment
- Legal, privacy, and security issues
How will the course appear on my transcript?
You may enroll at any time and have 3-9 months to complete this online course. The college credits you earn will be recorded on your transcript in the semester you register.
Why Take Online Classes at UND?
Here are a few reasons why you should take an online enroll anytime course at UND:
- Great customer service – Our registration team is ready to answer questions quickly so you can focus on your coursework.
- Affordable – UND's enroll anytime courses are priced at North Dakota's affordable, in-state tuition rate.
- Accredited – UND is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
- Easily transfer credits – Transferring credits is always at the discretion of the institution to which the credits are being transferred. In general, credits from schools/universities that are regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission transfer to other regionally accredited institutions. UND's online courses appear on your UND transcript in the same way as other courses.
Flexible 100% Online Course
You'll take this online course at your own pace. Some students thrive in this environment, while other students may struggle with setting their own deadlines. If you have successfully taken an independent study or correspondence course previously, UND’s enroll anytime courses may be right for you. Still not sure? Take our online quiz to help determine if online enroll anytime courses are right for you.
Course information including tuition, technology requirements, textbooks, lessons and exams is subject to change without notice.