Exams for Registrations Prior to July 13, 2019
If you registered for your course prior to July 13, 2019, you will continue to have the option of using an in-person proctor for that course.
If proctored (monitored/supervised) exams are required to complete your course, you'll need to designate a proctor to administer and supervise those exams. You are responsible to pay for any fees that proctors may charge for their services.
Determine Exam Format
Enroll anytime courses have different exam formats and exam information noted on your course syllabus. Based on the course you are taking or when you registered, determine your exam format:
- If you are taking an enroll anytime MATH course, ECON 303. GEOG 121 or GEOG 121L, regardless of when you registered for the course, follow PDF exam instructions.
- If you registered for your course prior to July 13, 2019, you will continue to have the option of using an in-person proctor for that course. Follow the steps below.
- All other enroll anytime students should follow ProctorU exam instructions.
Step 1: Review Proctor Policy
Review the Proctor Policy to learn who can be a proctor. If you need assistance finding a qualified proctor, please contact us, or if you are taking an online exam, try our live, online proctoring service, available 24/7.
Step 2: Designate Your Proctor and Request Your Exam
Receive permission from the individual you wish to designate as your proctor. Make sure you agree upon a date, time and location for you to take your exam (must be at the proctor's work address).
Enter your proctor and exam information into the Request for Exam Form. Upon receipt of the exam request form, UND Online & Distance Education will verify and approve/disapprove your designated proctor. UND reserves the right to accept or reject any proctor recommendation.
Upon approval, your proctor will be sent your exam information. Please allow 3 to 5 business days for online exams. You will be notified by email when the exam information has been sent to your proctor.
Proctors are individuals approved by UND Online & Distance Education to supervise examinations. Proctors have the responsibility of facilitating fairness and integrity during testing situations.
Please read UND's Proctor Policy prior to designating a proctor and requesting an exam. Students must complete Request for Exam Form at least 3 - 5 business days prior to an online exam. The form needs to be completed before each exam.
Students must first receive permission from an individual before designating him or her as their proctor. For students living outside of the United States, exams conducted in other countries must be administered ONLY at an English-speaking testing center or learning center, or with ProctorU.
Please note that students are responsible to pay for any fees that proctors may charge for their services.
- Proctors must administer the exam within 2 weeks at their school or place of business; never at the proctor or student’s home.
- Proctors must verify the identity of the student (with a photo ID such as a driver’s license) and read all of the exam instructions to the student before he or she begins the exam.
- For online exams, proctors will receive a password for the exam. Do not give the student the password for online exams. Students are not allowed to open any browsers or computer files during an online exam. Do not print the exams unless specifically stated in the exam instructions.
- Proctors must closely monitor the student until he or she is finished with the exam and make sure the student does not leave the room, except for an emergency.
- Students cannot take the exam with books, notes, or reference aids of any kind unless specified in the exam instructions. Students cannot take notes on the exam or attempt by any other means (e.g., by using a cell phone camera or other electronic device) to copy any part of the exam. The student or the proctor cannot print or duplicate the exam in any way.
- For exams that are required to be taken on paper, proctors must collect all papers and questions at the conclusion of the exam. All materials, including exam questions, signed proctor statement, and any scratch paper must be submitted as one file.
- If the requested proctor is unable to proctor the exam, contact us at und.courses@UND.eduor 701.777.0488. Proctors should not transfer the exam to another person or to the student.
- If the student is suspected of cheating, please contact us as soon as possible at 701.777.0488.
Approved Enroll Anytime Proctors
Approved proctors can be individuals currently employed (not retired) in the following professions:
- ProctorU (available for online exams for a fee)
- School or Public Librarians
- Educational Administrators (principal/superintendent/healthcare educator)
- Local College Testing Center Staff
- Adult Learning Centers
- Guidance Counselors
- Military Education Officers or Commanding Officers (for military students)
- Embassy Education Officers
Unapproved Enroll Anytime Proctors
Proctors may NOT be:
- Direct Supervisors
- Direct Reports / Employees
- Colleagues at Same Level
- Human Resources
- Athletic or Assistant Coaches
- Personal Tutors
Can't Find an Approved Proctor?
ProctorU is a live online proctoring service available 24/7 that allows students to take exams* from anywhere using a webcam and Internet connection (additional fees apply).
* Math exams are given as a PDF and, if using ProctorU, require a touchscreen laptop with a stylus, and an externally mounted webcam.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a Proctor?
Proctors are individuals who agree to supervise examinations and meet the criteria set forth by UND Online & Distance Education. Proctors have the responsibility of facilitating fairness and integrity during testing situations.
Students must first receive permission from an individual before designating him or her as their proctor. Please note that students are responsible to pay for any fees that proctors may charge for their services.
Who can be My Proctor?
A list of approved proctors can be found in the Proctor policy. If you are unsure if your proctor meets the requirements, you may email email@example.com to find out.
What are the Technical Requirements for Proctored Exams? Are There Special Requirements?
- All exams will be accessed online. A computer with Internet access must be available at the testing site where the exam is proctored. Exams should not be taken on smartphones or tablets.
- Wireless Internet connections are not recommended.
- Review web browser and operating system requirements. The web browser must be configured to accept cookies.
- Special equipment is required when taking PDF (printed) exams. Check with your instructor to find out if the course will use PDF exams.
Do I Have to Use ProctorU to Take My Exam?
You may use any proctors that are on the Approved Proctor list, which includes ProctorU. If you are unsure if your proctor meets the requirements, you may email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out.
What if an Exam is Not Available for Scheduling Through ProctorU?
Check the Blackboard course site or contact the instructor to find out if ProctorU is an option for the course.
Please remember that if the exam requires the proctor to download and print a pdf file, special equipment is required and must be tested/approved before the exam will be made available for scheduling.
What if My Proctor Does Not Have an Exam Password?
The exam password will be emailed to the proctor within five business days after receipt of the Exam Request form. If it has been five or more business days since you submitted the exam request, please email email@example.com with your name, course title, exam number, and proctor's name and email address.
What if a Student is Kicked Out of an Exam or Received a Submission Error?
If the exam is proctored and the student is with his/her proctor and the exam has not been submitted, contact UND Tech Support immediately so the student can be let back into the exam. The instructor will be notified of the issue.
Exams That Are Printed
If the exam submitted before the proctor printed the exam, multiple attempts can be added to allow the proctor to print the exam. Stay with the proctor and contact UND Tech Support immediately.
Exams Where Questions are Listed Within Blackboard
If the exam submitted before completion, UND Tech Support will contact the instructor as to how to proceed. Tech Support will not delete the student attempts or add multiple attempts without instructor permission.
Exams Not Proctored
If the exam is not proctored or the student is no longer with the proctor, the student will need to work with the instructor.
My Proctor is Unavailable. Can They Tell Someone Else What to Do?
If the requested proctor is unable to proctor the exam, contact us at und.courses@UND.edu or 701.777.0488. Proctors should not transfer the exam to another person or to the student.
How do I Request an Exam?
Submit the Request for Exam at least 3-5 business days before you wish to take the exam. The exam needs to be taken within 2 weeks of submitting the form.
Does my proctor need to fill out any paperwork?
No, your proctor does not need to complete any paperwork.
How Long Does it Take For My Exam Information to Be Sent to My Proctor?
Exam information is sent within five business days up receipt of the Exam Request form. If your proctor has not received exam information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, course title, exam number, and proctor's name and email address.
Can I Take the Exam at My Home or Work?
Proctors must administer the exam within 2 weeks at their school or place of business; never at the proctor or student’s home.
What Accommodations are Available for Students with Disabilities?
Accommodations can be requested for students with disabilities.Please work with Disability Services for Students and your course instructor to determine possible accommodations.
ProctorU does not charge for additional time for accommodated testing.