Deadlines and approval cycle
We recommend you submit requests as early in the academic year as possible.
October 12 is the deadline to turn in requests to the University Curriculum Committee that require approval by State Board of Higher Education Academic & Student Affairs Committee. These requests include: new program requests (explorations must have been approved prior to the new program request submission), requests for programs to allow distance delivery, title changes (department, degree, prefix), and program inactivations or terminations.
December 31 is the deadline to turn in requests to the University Curriculum Committee for all other curriculum changes that require University Senate approval. Contact the Office of the Registrar with any questions.
Approval Review Cycle
The following committees and review groups typically meet in the cycle below.
- College-level Curriculum Committees: meetings vary by college
- School of Graduate Studies Committee: meets weekly during the academic year.
- University Senate Curriculum Committee: meets every second and fourth Thursday of the month during the academic year.
- University Senate: meets every first Thursday of the month during the academic year.
- HLC: forms need to be completed for any new programs or program changes and are reviewed
as they are submitted. Screening and inquiry forms may take a few weeks. Application
and substantive changes may take months.
- New degree programs: New Degree Program Screening Form (may require Academic Program Application if program is a departure from existing program content and/or degree level)
- New certificate programs: Certificate Screening Form
- Program changes
- If less than 25% of the program is changing: Screening Form for Changes to Existing Degree Programs
- If 25% or more of the program is changing: Program Content Application
- NDUS Academic Affairs Council: meets every first Wednesday of the month during the academic year; curriculum agenda is variable.
- NDUS SBHE Academic & Student Affairs Committee: typically meets once per month; curriculum agenda is variable; may not review curriculum requests during the summer months.
Please note that at the NDUS and SBHE level, curriculum requests may not be on the agenda during each monthly meeting.