Search Committee Co-Chairs
Search Committee Members
The president appreciates the search committee's willingness to undertake the important work that will lead to the appointment of the new provost and vice president for academic affairs. This charge outlines expectations with respect to the search process and the authority granted to the search committee.
- The committee will adopt a timetable for the search that will permit the appointment of the provost and vice president for academic affairs by January 30, 2021.
- The committee shall recommend an advertisement and profile representing the criteria for the position of provost, including the necessary skills and attributes sought for the position.
- Working with the search consultants, the committee will conduct an active national search to attract highly qualified candidates, to include drawing upon each member’s own connections.
- The committee shall evaluate nominations and applications.
- The committee will present to the president an unranked list of candidates (three to five) who are the most qualified for selection as the next provost and vice president for academic affairs for the University of North Dakota.
- The committee will meet with the president after interviews with the finalists to assist the president as the final appointment is considered.
- The committee will make periodic reports to the president about the progress of the search.
- Observe strict confidentiality in the conduct of the search. Any member of the search committee who breaches confidentiality may be removed from the committee.
- Promote a diverse candidate pool while abiding by UND and NDUS equal opportunity and non-discrimination guidelines.
- Appointees to the committee will serve without predetermined bias for or against any prospective candidates nominated, referred, or discovered in the search process.
- Committee members will serve with the understanding that the committee will meet frequently over a period of months and that attendance at scheduled meetings is a top priority.
A Note on Provost Qualities
- The committee will identify qualities for our next provost and vice president for academic affairs from information gathered during campus-wide listening sessions and your personal judgment.
- The president has identified qualities for your consideration:
- A commitment to people and building trust among faculty, students, and staff
- A commitment to shared governance, in particular the essential role of faculty, as well as a vision for shared governance at the modern university
- A spirit of innovation in delivering academic programs and research opportunities
- A keen financial sense to guide the academic mission in the face of real budgets
- A commitment to personal excellence in both teaching and scholarship
- A commitment to promote scholarship at both the individual and institutional levels
- A strong, respectful teammate who will serve as a strong mentor to the deans
- Success in alumni and community relations, including philanthropic development