If you are worried about a class or find yourself struggling after an exam, we'll help you get back on the right path.
Academic coaching is 100% free for all UND students. As soon as you recognize that you could use some help with time management, procrastination, stress, etc., don’t let it escalate. Make an academic coaching appointment. We understand and we are here for you.
Make an Appointment with an Academic Coach
For the Fall 2020 semester, all academic coaching sessions will be offered online via Zoom by default, or you can let us know that you would like to meet by phone if preferred.
Please note, academic coaching will not be offered on the following UND holidays:
- Wednesday, November 11 in observation of Veteran's Day
- Wednesday, November 25 - Friday, November 27 in observation of Thanksgiving
All appointments will be made through Starfish just like you would be scheduling an appointment with your academic advisor or an instructor.
- Click on My Success Network in Starfish
- Select the tile Learning Services & Tutoring
- Select an academic coach and find a time that is convenient for you
If you know you will be missing your academic coaching appointment, we ask that you let your academic coach know as soon as possible. By claiming a spot on the schedule you are preventing others from potentially getting help, so please alert us beforehand when possible.
Academic Coaching Help
We can help develop strategies to deal successfully with a variety of concepts, such as:
- Transitioning from high school learning to college learning (different expectations)
- Procrastination and difficulty figuring out why this happens
- Planning and managing time
- Goal setting
- Stress around a certain course, or during a certain semester, or test taking
- Getting through the readings for one or more courses
- Remembering information for tests
- Finding a working approach to learning when also dealing with other concerns (dyslexia, ADHD, anxiety, depression, etc.)
What is Academic Coaching?
UND academic coaching is a one-on-one interactive process focused on the academic goals the student wants to achieve. To enhance this process we create a supportive environment in which the student feels respected, understood, cared for, and not judged. Based on the present situation, individual circumstances, our professional feedback and advice, together we devise a plan of action to help maximize academic potential.
How Many Sessions are Needed?
The number of times you meet with an academic coach is based on your individual needs. No preparation is needed. Sometimes we do talk about goals regarding GPA or a grade in a course, so bringing a device with which you can access this information is helpful.
During your initial coaching session (1-hour), we will talk about what you are experiencing, where you would like to be, set goals, and devise a plan to help you achieve your goals.
We strongly recommend at least two follow-up sessions (30 minutes each). During the follow-up sessions we will check in and see if the plan we developed needs any adjustments and set new or additional goals, until you feel confident in reaching your goals.
Some students prefer a bi-weekly or weekly meeting for a while and we can certainly accommodate this too, as we know that sometimes it helps to have someone to help you build your confidence up or be an accountability partner to follow through on the plan we developed for you.
Access academic coaching by logging into your UND Zoom account at UND.zoom.us.
If you are having trouble scheduling your appointment or experiencing issues with Zoom, please contact the academic coach that you are scheduled to meet with in Learning Services.