Canadian Students

UND welcomes our neighbors from the north. There are many benefits to studying in the United States.

Many of our current Canadian students choose UND for its strong academics: our world-class aviation program, the college of engineering or the nursing and medical schools. There's even a minor in Canadian Area Studies. And we have best NCAA hockey team (just ask Jonathan Toews or T.J. Oshie).

If you're from Canada, you:

  • Must meet the same admission requirements as freshmen or transfer students from the United States.
  • Will complete the same online application as U.S. residents.
  • Will pay the same $35 (U.S. funds) non-refundable application fee.
  • Before UND can issue you an I-20 Form, you must complete the International Admissions Statement of Financial Responsibility Form.

Canadian Student Immigration Regulations

If you reside in Canada, U.S. Immigration regulations require you to have an I-20 Form in order to be a student in the United States. You do not need a visa to study in the United States.

Upon your admission to UND and receipt of the Financial Responsibility Form, the UND International Center will mail you an I-20 Form.

You will be required to present the I-20 to the U.S. Border Patrol officer before crossing the border. The U.S. Border Patrol officer will stamp it and issue you an I-94 Arrival/Departure Card.

When you arrive at UND, you must report to the International Center. They will photocopy your entry documents and activate your immigration record. If you fail to do this, you could have serious problems with U.S. Immigration.

To remain in the United States as a student, U.S. Immigration regulations require you to:

  • Keep both the I-20 and the I-94 with you at all times.
  • Complete at least 12 credits per fall and spring semester. To take fewer than 12 credits per semester, you will need special approval from the International Center.
  • Work no more than 20 hours per week at an on-campus job. To work off campus, you will need special permission from the International Center.

The UND International Center will help you with academic, social and personal needs as you adjust to life in a new country. You can even receive rides to campus from the Grand Forks airport, bus or train depot.

For additional information about becoming an international student at UND, visit the International Center.