Forms & Transcripts
General Application Forms
- Application Change Request
- Withdrawal/Change Program Form
- Special Permission to Register
- Move Admission Request
- Recommendation Form (Paper)
Program Specific Forms
- Certificate of Finances - International
- Certificate of Finances - Canada
- Combined Degree Semester Registration - Engineering, Counseling & Computer Science
- Combined Degree Semester Registration - College of Business and Public Administration
- Combined Degree Registration - Juris Doctorate/Graduate School
- Criminal Background Check Instructions
- Criminal Background Check Release
- Counseling M.A. (K-12 School Counseling Emphasis only) Supplemental Form for applications
- Counseling and Counseling Psychology Supplemental Form for applications
School of Graduate Studies
205 Twamley Hall
264 Centennial Dr Stop 8178
Grand Forks, ND 58202
We require a complete set of official transcripts for domestic applicants, which represents
every college credit that you have attempted. An official transcript must be sent
to us from the institution which originally issued the credit. We call this a complete
academic record. We require this of each and every applicant to a certificate or degree
We want to know as complete a picture as possible of each applicant's academic career, and also:
- obtaining an official transcript lets us know that you are not financially indebted to some other institution,
- sometimes transfer credits lose grade information, or course titles change,
- transcripts can and do change over time (grades are revised, degrees are added/revoked), and
- transcripts contain more information than grades (i.e. degrees or certificates, accreditation, suspensions & dismissals, etc.)
We prefer that you submit a credential evaluation performed by AACRAO, ECE, or WES for all international transcripts. If you cannot obtain a credential evaluation, we accept official or attested copies of your diploma or degree certificate sent by the registrar. All documentation must be in English or have an English translation attached. We require either an evaluation or official transcript be received in our office. We do not accept scanned, faxed, or emailed copies. We also will not return any official transcripts, so please do not send your personal copies.
Indian students must provide all official or attested marksheets and a copy of their diploma. Chinese students must provide transcripts a copy of their Graduation Certificate or Degree Diploma.
If our staff are unable to perform an evaluation of your transcripts, we reserve the right to require that you have an evaluation completed and submitted. We will notify you if this additional requirement is needed.
- they arrive to us in an envelope sealed by the issuing institution,
- they arrive to us via a secured electronic transcript exchange program, of which we are already a member, or
- they arrive to us in an envelope sealed by a US State Department sponsored organization (e.g. USEF), and are attested by that organization.
Basically, we judge a transcript to be official by the way it was received. We must be vigilant about fraudulent credentials. You may include sealed envelopes with official transcripts inside of another envelope.
Also, keep in mind that the United States government considers educational records to be Federally protected and private. We cannot obtain your records unless you arrange for them to be sent them to us.
If you have previously attended UND, our admissions staff will attempt to obtain a copy of your transcript. You do not need to request an official UND transcript be sent to our office. Some of our older transcripts are not accessible by the School of Graduate Studies. If we are not able to retrieve your transcript for any reason, our admissions staff will contact you and you will need to request an official copy.
We keep application materials for anyone who becomes a student indefinitely, and we
keep application materials for anyone who was denied admission for three years. When
you apply again, we will search our archives to find transcripts you had previously
submitted, and we will use those transcripts again. Please note, we will still need
transcripts for any academic work you have done since that last application.
We consider all submitted applications to be incomplete until we have received all items (including official transcripts) required by the department to which you are applying. (Please consult the application instructions to see which items are required by your department.)
Your application will move to "Final Processing" when we have all required items. During this time, we determine your minimum eligibility for the program to which you applied, and we verify that we have a complete academic record. If we notice that we need another official transcript, your application will again become incomplete and you will be notified.
Also, please note that your application is only valid for the program and term indicated on your application. If your application has not yet received a decision on the fourth week of the semester to which you applied, your application will be administratively denied. Before you receive an official decision, you may submit an Application Change Request Form to change the admit term on the application. We will honor a request to change an admit term only once.
There have been some circumstances when obtaining an official transcript is not possible. Please read these items to see if a situation applies to you:
- If your institution will not release your transcript because of a financial, disciplinary, or academic hold, you will need to work with your institution to resolve the issue.
- If your domestic institution cannot locate your transcript, we will need to have a letter verifying that fact. This letter should come to us from the Registrar of your institution, or another person of sufficient authority. The letter should indicate the reason why the transcript is unobtainable. These letters will be considered on a case-by-case basis. If this applies to you, please email our Admissions team at email@example.com, before you send any documents to us.
- If your institution awarded you transfer work based upon military service, we might request a letter from the Registrar of your institution, or another person of sufficient authority. This letter should explain that credit was issued based upon service and not coursework. These letters will be considered on a case-by-case basis. (Please note: credit for military service is not the same thing as credit earned from a college while in the military, e.g. Community College of the Air Force.)
- If your institution is/was located in a country affected by war or extreme natural disaster, we understand that your transcripts may be impossible to locate. If your institution is located in Iran, we understand that your transcript's envelope may be opened before it arrives to us. If either situation here applies to you, please email our Admissions team at firstname.lastname@example.org, before you send any documents to us. These issues will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
The appearance of transfer credit on a transcript does not meet our requirement of a complete academic career. Therefore, if you have transferred credit, we must have a transcript from the institution which originally issued the credit.
Some students do not know that they have transferred credit, especially if they took college classes while in high school. If possible, you may want to speak to your institution to see if any credit has been transferred into your record.
Some students do not know that a study abroad experience also meant that credits were transferred. In some cases, a study abroad experience means that your college credits were originally issued by the foreign institution and not your home campus. If possible, you may want to speak to your institution to see if any credit has been transferred into your record.
If, during "Final Processing," we find that we have your complete academic record,
we will send your application to the department for their review. You will be notified
when this occurs. When your application is "Sent to Department," you will know that
we have a complete academic record.
To be considered for admission, you will need to provide a complete academic record which is current at the time of your application. If you are admitted, we would need to then also receive an official transcript with your degree posted. (Some international students may need to send us an official copy of their diploma or degree certificates.) We would add this requirement to your official admission letter.
For domestic students, we would need to receive an official transcript with your degree posted by the end of your first semester. For international students, we would not be able to fully admit you until we received your transcript, diploma, or degree certificate.
An applicant may not petition our policies. However, a member of the graduate faculty may petition on your behalf. (This does not mean that the faculty will petition, and it does not mean that such a petition would be approved.) If you believe that you have a situation which warrants exceptional consideration, you may contact a faculty member of the program to which you are applying to ask if they would petition on your behalf.