Assistant Professor, Civil Engineering
- Environmental Engineering, Environmental Chemistry, Water Treatment, Emerging Contaminants, Carbonaceous Materials
- Research interests (Google Scholar)
- Water treatment
- Environmental analytical chemistry
- Emerging contaminants
- Porous/pyrogenic carbonaceous materials
- Nonpoint source pollution control (new direction)
- Oilfield produced water (new direction)
- 40 papers in peer-reviewed journals, including
- 11 papers in Water Research (2019 impact factor: 9.130)
- 6 papers in Environmental Science & Technology (2019 impact factor: 7.864)
- 3 paper in Environmental Science & Technology Letters (2019 impact factor: 7.678)
- Two Highly Cited papers (top 1%) according to Web of Science.
- first author: 32
- corresponding author: 26
NSF Career Award (NSF Award Search: Award # 2047062 - CAREER: ERASE-PFAS: Mechanistic Investigation of Thermal Decomposition of Poly- and Perfluoroalkyl Substances in the Soil Environment) (5/1/2021- 4/30/2026).
- NSF. Support for Academically Talented STEM Scholars at the University of North Dakota (NSF Award Search: Award # 1833975 - Support for Academically Talented STEM Scholars at the University of North Dakota) (PI: Feng Xiao; co-PIs: Xiaodong Zhao; Julia Zhao; Naima Kaabouch; Deborah Worley).
(5/1/2019 - 4/30/2024).
- USGS fellowships to my graduate students Lindstrom (2017), Jin (2017), Peterson (2018), Ranisate (2018), Challa Sasi (2019; 2020), Mallula (2020).
o USEPA Science to Achieve Results (STAR) Program (Fundamentals of Adsorption, Desorption, and Biodegradation of PFAS and Precursor Compounds in the Soil and Landfill Leachate System and An Innovative Treatment Strategy for Their Removal in Landfill Leachate and Groundwater | Research Project Database | Grantee Research Project | ORD | US EPA) (PI: Feng Xiao).
(8/2019 - 7/2022).
o DoD (PI: Feng Xiao).
(2021 - 2022).
State/city/industry grants (n = 6 as PI)
- Four courses related to environmental engineering and science
- Student rating: 3.72 to 4.8 on a scale of 1 to 5 (with 5 being the highest)
- Reviewer of 200+ manuscripts for 30+ journals
- Associated Editor of ASCE Journal of Environmental Engineering
- Contract Reviewer of the Guidelines for Canadian Drinking Water Quality for PFOA and PFOS (the analytical method and treatment sections) (invited by Health Canada)
- Founding member of UND College of Engineering and Mines Research Council
- A licensed Professional Engineer in the Environmental Engineering area of practice
- CE302 Civil Engineering Laboratory II
- CE431 Environmental Engineering I
- CE 432 Environmental Engineering II
- CE531 Environmental Engineering III
Total citations of 1980 as of April 2021; an h-index of 23 according to Google Scholar on April 2021
2020 (corresponding author underlined)
- XIAO, F., CHALLA SASI, P., BIN, Y., KUBÁTOVÁ, A. GOLOVKO, S., GOLOVKO, M., DANA, S. “Thermal Stability and Decomposition of Perfluoroalkyl Substances on Spent Granular Activated Carbon” Environmental Science & Technology Letters, 5, pp. 343?350, 2020.
- JIN, B., SWETHA, M., GOLOVKO, S., GOLOVKO, M., XIAO, F. “In Vivo Generation of PFOA, PFOS and Other Compounds from Cationic and Zwitterionic Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances in a Terrestrial Invertebrate (Lumbricus terrestris)” Environmental Science & Technology (accepted).
2019 (corresponding author underlined)
- XIAO, F., JIN, B., GOLOVKO, S., GOLOVKO, M., XING, B., “Sorption and Desorption Mechanisms of Cationic and Zwitterionic Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances in Natural Soils: Thermodynamics and Hysteresis” Environmental Science & Technology, 53, pp. 11818–11827, 2019.
- CAO, X., XIAO, F., DUAN, P., PIGNATELLO, J.J., MAO, J., SCHMIDT-ROHR, K. “Effects of Post-pyrolysis Air Oxidation on the Chemical Composition of Biomass Chars Investigated by Solid-state Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy” Carbon, 153, pp. 173–178, 2019.
- HUI, L., PAN, Y., FARMAKES, J., XIAO, F., LIU, G., CHEN, B., ZHU, X., RAO, J., Yang, Z. “A Sulfonated Mesoporous Silica Nanoparticle for Enzyme Protection against Denaturants and Controlled Release under Reducing Conditions” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 556, pp. 292?300, 2019.
- Pan, Y., LI, H., Farmakes, J., XIAO, F., Chen, B., Ma, S., Yang, Z. “How Do Enzymes Orient When Trapped on Metal-Organic Framework (MOF) Surfaces” Journal of American Chemical Society, 140, pp. 16032–16036, 2018.
- XIAO, F., HUISMAN, Q.E. “Prediction of Biopersistence of Hydrocarbons Using a Single Parameter” Chemosphere, 213, pp. 76–83, 2018.
- XIAO, F., Hanson, R., Golovko, S.A., Golovko, M.Y., Arnold, W.A. “PFOA and PFOS Are Generated from Zwitterionic and Cationic Precursor Compounds During Water Disinfection with Chlorine or Ozone” Environmental Science & Technology Letters, 5, pp. 382–388, 2018.
- XIAO, F., Gámiz, B., Pignatello, J.J. “Adsorption and Desorption of Nitrous Oxide by Raw and Thermally Air-oxidized Chars” Science of the Total Environment, 643, pp. 1436–1445, 2018.
- XIAO, F., Bedane, A.H., Zhao, J.X., Mann, M.D., PIGNATELLO, J.J. “Thermal Air Oxidation Changes Surface and Adsorptive Properties of Black Carbon (Char/biochar)” Science of the Total Environment, 618, pp. 276–283, 2018.
- XIAO, F., Golovko, S.A., Golovko, M.Y. “Identification of Novel Non-ionic, Cationic, Zwitterionic, and Anionic Polyfluoroalkyl Substances using UPLC–TOF–MSE High-resolution Parent Ion Search” Analytica Chimica Acta, 988, pp. 41–49, 2017.
- XIAO, F. “Emerging Poly- and Perfluoroalkyl Substances In the Aquatic Environment: A Review of Current Literature” Water Research, 124, pp. 482–495, 2017.
- Kah, M., Sigmund, G., XIAO, F., Hofmann, T. “Sorption of Ionizable and Ionic Organic Compounds to Biochar, Activated Carbon and Other Carbonaceous Materials” Water Research, 124, pp. 673–692, 2017.
- XIAO, F., PIGNATELLO, J.J. “Effects of Post-pyrolysis Air Oxidation of Biomass Chars on Adsorption of Neutral and Ionizable Compounds” Environmental Science & Technology, 50, pp. 6276–6283, 2016.
- XIAO, F., PIGNATELLO, J.J. “Interactions of Triazine Herbicides with Biochar: Steric and Electronic Effects” Water Research, 80, pp. 179–188, 2015.
- XIAO, F., SIMCIK, M.F., HALBACH, T.R., GULLIVER, J.S. “Perfluorooctane Sulfonate (PFOS) and Perfluorooctanoate (PFOA) in Soils and Groundwater of A U.S. Metropolitan Area: Migration and Implications for Human Exposure” Water Research, 72, pp. 64–74, 2015.
- XIAO, F., PIGNATELLO, J.J. “π+−π Interactions between (Hetero-)aromatic Amine Cations and the Graphitic Surfaces of Pyrogenic Carbonaceous Materials” Environmental Science & Technology, 49, pp. 906–914, 2015.
- XIAO, F., PIGNATELLO, J.J. “Effect of Adsorption Nonlinearity on the pH–Adsorption Profile of Ionizable Organic Compounds” Langmuir, 30 (8), pp. 1994–2001, 2014.
- XIAO, F., GULLIVER, J.S., SIMCIK, M.F. “Perfluorooctane Sulfonate (PFOS) Contamination of Fish in Urban Lakes: A Prioritization Methodology for Lake Management” Water Research, 47 (20), pp. 7264–7272, 2013.
- XIAO, F., GULLIVER, J.S., SIMCIK, M.F. “Predicting Aqueous Solubility of Environmentally Relevant Compounds from Molecular Features: A Simple but Highly Effective Four-dimensional Model based on Project to Latent Structures” Water Research, 47 (14), pp. 5362–5370, 2013.
- XIAO, F., SIMCIK, M.F., GULLIVER, J.S. “Mechanisms for Removal of Perfluorooctane Sulfonate (PFOS) and Perfluorooctanoate (PFOA) from Drinking Water by Conventional and Enhanced Coagulation” Water Research, 47 (1), pp. 49–56, 2013.
- XIAO, F., SIMCIK, M.F., GULLIVER, J.S. “Perfluoroalkyl Acids in Urban Stormwater Runoff: Influence of Land Use” Water Research, 46 (20), pp. 6601–6608, 2012.
- XIAO, F., HALBACH, T.R., SIMCIK, M.F., GULLIVER, J.S. “Input Characterization of Perfluoroalkyl Substances in Wastewater Treatment Plants: Source Discrimination by Exploratory Data Analysis” Water Research, 46 (9), pp. 3101–3109, 2012.
- XIAO, F., ZHANG, X., ZHAI, H., LO, I.M.C., TIPOE, G.L., YANG, M., PAN, Y., CHEN, G. “New Halogenated Disinfection Byproducts in Swimming Pool Water and Their Permeability Across Skin” Environmental Science & Technology, 46 (13), pp. 7112–7119, 2012.
- XIAO, F., SIMCIK, M.F., GULLIVER, J.S. “Partitioning Characteristics of Perfluorooctane Sulfonate between Water and Foods” Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, 62 (1), pp. 42–48, 2012.
- Xiao, F., Davidsavor, K.J., Park, S., Nakayama, M. Phillips, B.R. “Batch and column study: Sorption of perfluorinated surfactants from water and cosolvent systems by Amberlite XAD resins” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 368 (1), pp 505–511, 2012.
- XIAO, F., ZHANG, X., PENN, L., GULLIVER, J.S., SIMCIK, M.F. “Effects of Monovalent Cations on the Competitive Adsorption of Perfluoroalkyl Acids by Kaolinite: Experimental Studies and Modeling” Environmental Science & Technology, 45 (23), pp. 10028–10035, 2011.
- XIAO, F., ZHANG, X., ZHAI, H., YANG, M., LO, I.M.C. “Effects of Enhanced Coagulation on Polar Halogenated Disinfection Byproducts in Drinking Water” Separation and Purification Technology, 76 (1), pp. 26–32, 2010.
- XIAO, F., YI, P., PAN, X.-R., ZHANG, B.-J., LEE, C. “Comparative Study of the Effects of Experimental Variables on Growth Rates of Aluminum and Iron Hydroxide Flocs during Coagulation and Their Structural Characteristics” Desalination, 250 (3), pp. 902–907, 2010.
- XIAO, F., ZHANG, X., MA, J. “Indecisiveness of Electrophoretic Mobility Determination in Evaluating Fe(III) Coagulation Performance” Separation and Purification Technology, 68 (2), pp. 273–278, 2009.
- XIAO, F., HUANG, J.-C. “Comparison of Biosorbents with Inorganic Sorbents for Removing Copper(II) from Aqueous Solutions” Journal of Environmental Management, 90 (10), pp. 3105–3109, 2009.
- XIAO, F., HUANG, J.-C.H., ZHANG, B.-J., CUI, C.-W. “Effects of Low Temperature on Coagulation Kinetics and Floc Surface Morphology Using Alum” Desalination, 237 (1–3), pp 201–213, 2009.
- Xiao, F., Zhang, B., Ma, J., Yi, P., Cui, C. “Effects of Low Temperature on Floc Fractal Dimensions and Shape Factors during Alum Coagulation” Journal of Water Supply: Research and Technology – AQUA, 58(1), 21-27.
- XIAO, F., ZHANG, X., LEE, C. “Is Electrophoretic Mobility Determination Meaningful for Aluminum(III) Coagulation of Kaolinite Suspension?” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 327 (2), pp. 348–353, 2008.
- XIAO, F., ZHANG, B., LEE, C. “Effects of Low Temperature on Aluminum(III) Hydrolysis: Theoretical and Experimental Studies” Journal of Environmental Sciences, 20 (8), pp. 907–914, 2008.
- XIAO, F., MA, J., Yi, P., HUANG, J.-C.H. “Effects of Low Temperature on Coagulation of Kaolinite Suspensions” Water Research, 42 (12), pp. 2983–2992, 2008.
8/2015–present. Tenure-track Assistant Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, ND.
1/2013–8/2015. Postdoctoral Scientist (environmental chemistry), Department of Environmental Sciences, Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station, New Haven, CT. Advisor: Dr. Joseph Pignatello (Adjunct Professor of Yale University).
8/2012–2/2013. Postdoctoral Associate (stormwater management; soil/groundwater contamination), The St. Anthony Fall Laboratory of University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN. Advisor: Dr. John Gulliver.
9/2009–9/2012. Graduate Teaching/Research Assistants, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN. Advisors: John Gulliver & Matt Simcik.
8/2006–8/2009. Full-time Research Fellow of Environmental Engineering, Hong Kong University of Science & Technology, Hong Kong.
9/2003–1/2006. M.S. Harbin Institute of Technology, Harbin, China. Advisor: Jun Ma.
9/1999–7/2003. B.S. Harbin Institute of Technology, Harbin, China.
A licensed Professional Engineer in the Environmental Engineering area of practice