Assistant Professor, Civil Engineering
- Environmental Engineering, Environmental Chemistry, Water Treatment, Emerging Contaminants, Carbonaceous Materials
- Research interests (Google Scholar)
- Water treatment
- Environmental analytical chemistry
- Emerging contaminants
- Porous/pyrogenic carbonaceous materials
- Nonpoint source pollution control (new direction)
- Oilfield produced water (new direction)
- 36 papers in peer-reviewed journals, including
- 10 papers in Water Research (2018 impact factor: 7.913)
- 6 papers in Environmental Science & Technology (2018 impact factor: 7.149)
- 2 paper in Environmental Science & Technology Letters (2018 impact factor: 6.934)
- first author: 30
- corresponding author: 22
Federal grants ($1,278,356 as PI)
- NSF. Support for Academically Talented STEM Scholars at the University of North Dakota (PI: Feng Xiao; co-PIs: Xiaodong Zhao; Julia Zhao; Naima Kaabouch; Deborah Worley).
$649,791 (5/1/2019 - 4/30/2024).
- USGS fellowships to my graduate students Lindstrom (2017), Jin (2017), Peterson (2018), Ranisate (2018), Challa Sasi (2019; 2020), Mallula (2020).
o Early Career Award from the USEPA Science to Achieve Results (STAR) Program (PI: Feng Xiao).
$498,907 (8/2019 - 7/2022).
State/city/industry grants (n = 4 as PI)
- $367,899 (4/2016 - 8/2020)
- Four courses related to environmental engineering and science
- Student rating: 3.72 to 4.8 on a scale of 1 to 5 (with 5 being the highest)
- Reviewer of 140+ manuscripts for 30+ journals
- Editorial board member of Environmental Pollution (2018 impact factor: 5.714)
- Contract Reviewer of the Guidelines for Canadian Drinking Water Quality for PFOA and PFOS (the analytical method and treatment sections) (invited by Health Canada)
- Founding member of UND College of Engineering and Mines Research Council
- A licensed Professional Engineer in the Environmental Engineering area of practice
- CE302 Civil Engineering Laboratory II
- CE431 Environmental Engineering I
- CE 432 Environmental Engineering II
- CE531 Environmental Engineering III
Publications: 34; Total citation: 1261 (Google Scholar) (as of October 2019); i10-Index: 27; h-Index: 20.
2019 (corresponding author underlined)
- XIAO, F., JIN, B., GOLOVKO, S., GOLOVKO, M., XING, B., “Sorption and Desorption Mechanisms of Cationic and Zwitterionic Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances in Natural Soils: Thermodynamics and Hysteresis” Environmental Science & Technology (in press).
- CAO, X., XIAO, F., DUAN, P., PIGNATELLO, J.J., MAO, J., SCHMIDT-ROHR, K. “Effects of Post-pyrolysis Air Oxidation on the Chemical Composition of Biomass Chars Investigated by Solid-state Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy” Carbon, 153, pp. 173–178, 2019.
- HUI, L., PAN, Y., FARMAKES, J., XIAO, F., LIU, G., CHEN, B., ZHU, X., RAO, J., Yang, Z. “A Sulfonated Mesoporous Silica Nanoparticle for Enzyme Protection against Denaturants and Controlled Release under Reducing Conditions” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 556, pp. 292?300.
- Pan, Y., LI, H., Farmakes, J., XIAO, F., Chen, B., Ma, S., Yang, Z. “How Do Enzymes Orient When Trapped on Metal-Organic Framework (MOF) Surfaces” Journal of American Chemical Society, 140, pp. 16032–16036, 2018.
- XIAO, F., HUISMAN, Q.E. “Prediction of Biopersistence of Hydrocarbons Using a Single Parameter” Chemosphere, 213, pp. 76–83, 2018.
- XIAO, F., Hanson, R., Golovko, S.A., Golovko, M.Y., Arnold, W.A. “PFOA and PFOS Are Generated from Zwitterionic and Cationic Precursor Compounds During Water Disinfection with Chlorine or Ozone” Environmental Science & Technology Letters, 5, pp. 382–388, 2018.
- XIAO, F., Gámiz, B., Pignatello, J.J. “Adsorption and Desorption of Nitrous Oxide by Raw and Thermally Air-oxidized Chars” Science of the Total Environment, 643, pp. 1436–1445, 2018.
- XIAO, F., Bedane, A.H., Zhao, J.X., Mann, M.D., PIGNATELLO, J.J. “Thermal Air Oxidation Changes Surface and Adsorptive Properties of Black Carbon (Char/biochar)” Science of the Total Environment, 618, pp. 276–283, 2018.
- XIAO, F., Golovko, S.A., Golovko, M.Y. “Identification of Novel Non-ionic, Cationic, Zwitterionic, and Anionic Polyfluoroalkyl Substances using UPLC–TOF–MSE High-resolution Parent Ion Search” Analytica Chimica Acta, 988, pp. 41–49, 2017.
- XIAO, F. “Emerging Poly- and Perfluoroalkyl Substances In the Aquatic Environment: A Review of Current Literature” Water Research, 124, pp. 482–495, 2017.
- Kah, M., Sigmund, G., XIAO, F., Hofmann, T. “Sorption of Ionizable and Ionic Organic Compounds to Biochar, Activated Carbon and Other Carbonaceous Materials” Water Research, 124, pp. 673–692, 2017.
- XIAO, F., PIGNATELLO, J.J. “Effects of Post-pyrolysis Air Oxidation of Biomass Chars on Adsorption of Neutral and Ionizable Compounds” Environmental Science & Technology, 50, pp. 6276–6283, 2016.
- XIAO, F., PIGNATELLO, J.J. “Interactions of Triazine Herbicides with Biochar: Steric and Electronic Effects” Water Research, 80, pp. 179–188, 2015.
- XIAO, F., SIMCIK, M.F., HALBACH, T.R., GULLIVER, J.S. “Perfluorooctane Sulfonate (PFOS) and Perfluorooctanoate (PFOA) in Soils and Groundwater of A U.S. Metropolitan Area: Migration and Implications for Human Exposure” Water Research, 72, pp. 64–74, 2015.
- XIAO, F., PIGNATELLO, J.J. “π+−π Interactions between (Hetero-)aromatic Amine Cations and the Graphitic Surfaces of Pyrogenic Carbonaceous Materials” Environmental Science & Technology, 49, pp. 906–914, 2015.
- XIAO, F., PIGNATELLO, J.J. “Effect of Adsorption Nonlinearity on the pH–Adsorption Profile of Ionizable Organic Compounds” Langmuir, 30 (8), pp. 1994–2001, 2014.
- XIAO, F., GULLIVER, J.S., SIMCIK, M.F. “Perfluorooctane Sulfonate (PFOS) Contamination of Fish in Urban Lakes: A Prioritization Methodology for Lake Management” Water Research, 47 (20), pp. 7264–7272, 2013.
- XIAO, F., GULLIVER, J.S., SIMCIK, M.F. “Predicting Aqueous Solubility of Environmentally Relevant Compounds from Molecular Features: A Simple but Highly Effective Four-dimensional Model based on Project to Latent Structures” Water Research, 47 (14), pp. 5362–5370, 2013.
- XIAO, F., SIMCIK, M.F., GULLIVER, J.S. “Mechanisms for Removal of Perfluorooctane Sulfonate (PFOS) and Perfluorooctanoate (PFOA) from Drinking Water by Conventional and Enhanced Coagulation” Water Research, 47 (1), pp. 49–56, 2013.
- XIAO, F., SIMCIK, M.F., GULLIVER, J.S. “Perfluoroalkyl Acids in Urban Stormwater Runoff: Influence of Land Use” Water Research, 46 (20), pp. 6601–6608, 2012.
- XIAO, F., HALBACH, T.R., SIMCIK, M.F., GULLIVER, J.S. “Input Characterization of Perfluoroalkyl Substances in Wastewater Treatment Plants: Source Discrimination by Exploratory Data Analysis” Water Research, 46 (9), pp. 3101–3109, 2012.
- XIAO, F., ZHANG, X., ZHAI, H., LO, I.M.C., TIPOE, G.L., YANG, M., PAN, Y., CHEN, G. “New Halogenated Disinfection Byproducts in Swimming Pool Water and Their Permeability Across Skin” Environmental Science & Technology, 46 (13), pp. 7112–7119, 2012.
- XIAO, F., SIMCIK, M.F., GULLIVER, J.S. “Partitioning Characteristics of Perfluorooctane Sulfonate between Water and Foods” Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, 62 (1), pp. 42–48, 2012.
- Xiao, F., Davidsavor, K.J., Park, S., Nakayama, M. Phillips, B.R. “Batch and column study: Sorption of perfluorinated surfactants from water and cosolvent systems by Amberlite XAD resins” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 368 (1), pp 505–511, 2012.
- XIAO, F., ZHANG, X., PENN, L., GULLIVER, J.S., SIMCIK, M.F. “Effects of Monovalent Cations on the Competitive Adsorption of Perfluoroalkyl Acids by Kaolinite: Experimental Studies and Modeling” Environmental Science & Technology, 45 (23), pp. 10028–10035, 2011.
- XIAO, F., ZHANG, X., ZHAI, H., YANG, M., LO, I.M.C. “Effects of Enhanced Coagulation on Polar Halogenated Disinfection Byproducts in Drinking Water” Separation and Purification Technology, 76 (1), pp. 26–32, 2010.
- XIAO, F., YI, P., PAN, X.-R., ZHANG, B.-J., LEE, C. “Comparative Study of the Effects of Experimental Variables on Growth Rates of Aluminum and Iron Hydroxide Flocs during Coagulation and Their Structural Characteristics” Desalination, 250 (3), pp. 902–907, 2010.
- XIAO, F., ZHANG, X., MA, J. “Indecisiveness of Electrophoretic Mobility Determination in Evaluating Fe(III) Coagulation Performance” Separation and Purification Technology, 68 (2), pp. 273–278, 2009.
- XIAO, F., HUANG, J.-C. “Comparison of Biosorbents with Inorganic Sorbents for Removing Copper(II) from Aqueous Solutions” Journal of Environmental Management, 90 (10), pp. 3105–3109, 2009.
- XIAO, F., HUANG, J.-C.H., ZHANG, B.-J., CUI, C.-W. “Effects of Low Temperature on Coagulation Kinetics and Floc Surface Morphology Using Alum” Desalination, 237 (1–3), pp 201–213, 2009.
- Xiao, F., Zhang, B., Ma, J., Yi, P., Cui, C. “Effects of Low Temperature on Floc Fractal Dimensions and Shape Factors during Alum Coagulation” Journal of Water Supply: Research and Technology – AQUA, 58(1), 21-27.
- XIAO, F., ZHANG, X., LEE, C. “Is Electrophoretic Mobility Determination Meaningful for Aluminum(III) Coagulation of Kaolinite Suspension?” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 327 (2), pp. 348–353, 2008.
- XIAO, F., ZHANG, B., LEE, C. “Effects of Low Temperature on Aluminum(III) Hydrolysis: Theoretical and Experimental Studies” Journal of Environmental Sciences, 20 (8), pp. 907–914, 2008.
- XIAO, F., MA, J., Yi, P., HUANG, J.-C.H. “Effects of Low Temperature on Coagulation of Kaolinite Suspensions” Water Research, 42 (12), pp. 2983–2992, 2008.
8/2015–present. Tenure-track Assistant Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, ND.
1/2013–8/2015. Postdoctoral Scientist (environmental chemistry), Department of Environmental Sciences, Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station, New Haven, CT. Advisor: Dr. Joseph Pignatello (Adjunct Professor of Yale University).
8/2012–2/2013. Postdoctoral Associate (stormwater management; soil/groundwater contamination), The St. Anthony Fall Laboratory of University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN. Advisor: Dr. John Gulliver.
9/2009–9/2012. Graduate Teaching/Research Assistants, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN. Advisors: John Gulliver & Matt Simcik.
8/2006–8/2009. Full-time Research Fellow of Environmental Engineering, Hong Kong University of Science & Technology, Hong Kong.
9/2003–1/2006. M.S. Harbin Institute of Technology, Harbin, China. Advisor: Jun Ma.
9/1999–7/2003. B.S. Harbin Institute of Technology, Harbin, China.
Current and previous graduate students (n = 9):
Ali Alinezhad (Ph.D. student; 1/2020–present); Venus Larson (Ph.D. student; 1/2018–present); Pavan Challa (Ph.D. student; 9/2018–present); Mallula Swetha (M.S. and then Ph.D. student; 9/2016–present); Zachary Ranisate (M.S. student; 9/2018–present); Nick Peterson (M.S. student; 9/2017–present); Bosen Jin (M.S. student; 9/2016–present); Ryan Hanson (M.S.; 9/2016–5/2018; currently employed as a project engineer at a company in Minnesota); Nick Lindstrom (M.S.; 9/2016–5/2018; graduated from UND in 5/2018 and currently employed as a wastewater engineer at the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources).
Ryan Hanson (former M.S. student) is the third-place winner in Fresh Ideas Poster Competition during national AWWA’s Annual Conference & Exposition in Denver for a poster presentation of our paper in ES&T Letters (https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acs.estlett.8b00266)
Undergraduate research assistants
employed and mentored at the University of North Dakota (n= 12):
Dana Soli (1/2018–present); Zach Hagen (1/2018–present); Mat Cox (9/2017–5/2018); Quinn Huisman (9/2017–5/2018); Samantha Roth (June 2017-August 2017; visiting student from Dickinson State University); Kailer Riedman (Summer 2017; visiting student from Mayville State University); Kelly Schreiner (Summer 2017; visiting student from Mayville State University); Ryan Hanson (2015–2016); Nick Lindstrom (2015–2016); Mika LaDoux (2015–2016); Noah Schaible (2016); Trent Imdieke (2016).
Undergraduate research assistants mentored at other universities:
Miya Bidon (2013–2014); Allison Jensen (2013–2014); Mengting Yang (2010)
Postdoctoral scholar employed and advised mentored at the University of North Dakota:
Dr. Alexmayehu (Alex) Bedane (Postdoctoral Associate) (7/2016–7/2018; current employed in Canada).
A licensed Professional Engineer in the Environmental Engineering area of practice