Dr. Jahangir Masud is a Electrochemical Process Development Engineer at the EERC, where he works on a multidisciplinary team to conduct research on platinum group metal-free electrocatalysts on carbon-free supports for proton exchange membrane fuel cell applications. He holds a Ph.D. degree in Chemistry (electrochemistry) from Tokyo Institute of Technology, Japan, and an M.S. degree in Organic Chemistry and a B.S. degree in Chemistry from Shahjalal University of Science & Technology, Bangladesh. Prior to his position at the EERC, he served as a Research Associate at Missouri S&T in Rolla, Missouri.
Dr. Masud’s principal areas of interest and expertise include energy storage and conversion, electrocatalyst synthesis, and electrocatalysis. He is currently working on a project to develop carbon-free catalyst support for proton exchange membrane fuel cells (PEMFCs).
Fuel Cell, Electrocatalysts, CO2 electroreduction, Supercapacitor, Battery, Sensor
32 . M. Nath, U. De Silva, H. Singh, M Perkins, W. Liyanage, S. Umapathi, S. Chakravarty, J. Masud. Cobalt Telluride: A Highly Efficient Trifunctional Electrocatalyst for Water Splitting and Oxygen Reduction. ACS Appl. Energy Mater. 2021, https://doi.org/10.1021/acsaem.1c01438.
31. U. De Silva, J. See, W. Liyanage, J. Masud, J. Wu, W. Yang, W. T. Chen, D. Prendergast, M. Nath. Understanding Structural Evolution of Nickel Chalcogenide Electrocatalyst Surface for Water Oxidation. Energy Fuels 2021, 35, 5, 4387.
30. I.M. Abdullahi, J. Masud, P. C. Ioannou, E. Ferentinos, P. Kyritsis, M. Nath. A Molecular Tetrahedral Cobalt–Seleno-Based Complex as an Efficient Electrocatalyst for Water Splitting. Molecules 2021, 26, 945.
29. A. Saxena, W. Liyanage, J. Masud, S. Kapila and M. Nath. Selective Electroreduction of CO2 to Carbon-rich Products by Simple Binary Copper Selenide Electrocatalyst. J. of. Mater. Chem. A, 2021, 9, 7150.
28. S. Umapathi, H. Singh, J. Masud, M. Nath. Nanostructured copper selenide as an ultrasensitive and selective non - enzymatic glucose sensor. Mater. Adv., 2020, 2, 927.
27. S. Umapathi, J. Masud, H. Coleman, M. Nath. Electrochemical sensor based on CuSe for determination of dopamine. Microchim Acta 2020, 187, 440.
26. 26. B. G. Amin, J. Masud, M. Nath. Facile One-Pot Synthesis of NiCo2Se4-rGO on Ni foam for High Performance Hybrid Supercapacitor. RSC Adv. 2019, 9, 37939-37946.
25. B. G. Amin, U. D. Silva, J. Masud, M. Nath. Ultrasensitive and Highly Selective Ni3Te2 as a Nonenzymatic Glucose Sensor at Extremely Low Working Potential. ACS Omega 2019, 4, 11152-11162.
24. B. G. Amin, J. Masud, M. Nath. Non-enzymatic glucose sensor based on CoNi2Se4 /rGO nanocomposite with Ultrahigh sensitivity at low working potential. J. Mater. Chem. B 2019, 7, 2338-2348.
23. J. Masud, W. P. R Liyanage, X. Cao, A. Saxena and M. Nath. Copper Selenides as High-efficiency Electrocatalysts for Oxygen Evolution Reaction. ACS Appl. Energy Mater. 2018, 1, 4075-4083.
22. X. Cao, Y. Hong, N. Zhang, Q. Chen, J. Masud, M. A. Zaeem, M. Nath, Phase Exploration and Identification of Novel Multinary Transition Metal Selenides as High-efficiency Oxygen Evolution Electrocatalysts through Combinatorial Electrodeposition. ACS Cata, 2018, 8, 8273-8289.
21. U. De Silva, J. Masud, N. Zhang, Y. Hong, W. P. R. Liyanage, M. A. Zaeem, M. Nath,Nickel telluride as a bifunctional electrocatalyst for efficient water splitting in alkaline medium. J. Mater. Chem. A 2018, 6, 7608-7622.
20. M. Arivu, J. Masud, S. Umapathi, M. Nath. Facile synthesis of Ni3B/rGO nanocomposite as an efficient electrocatalyst for the oxygen evolution reaction in alkaline media. Electrochem. Commun. 2018, 86, 121-125.
19. S. Umapathi, J. Masud, A. T. Swesi, M. Nath. FeNi2Se4-reduced Graphene Oxide Nanocomposite: Enhancing Bifunctional Electrocatalytic Activity for Oxygen Evolution and Reduction through Synergistic Effects. Adv. Sustainable Sys. 2017, 1, 1700086.
18. A. T. Swesi, J. Masud, W. P. R. Liyanage, S. Umapathi, E. Bohannon, J. Medvedeva, M. Nath. Textured NiSe2 Film: Bifunctional Electrocatalyst for Full Water Splitting at Remarkably Low Overpotential with High Energy Efficiency. Sci. Rep. 2017, 7, 2401.
17. B. G. Amin, A. T. Swesi, J. Masud, M. Nath. CoNi2Se4 as an Efficient Bifunctional Electrocatalyst for Overall Water Splitting. Chem. Commun. 2017, 53, 5412-5415.
16. J. Masud, P. C. Ioannou, N. Levesanos, P. Kyritsis, M. Nath. A Molecular Ni-complex Containing Tetrahedral Nickel Selenide Core as Highly Efficient Electrocatalyst for Water Oxidation. ChemSusChem 2016, 22, 3128-3132 (Selected as a front cover page & Cover profile).
15. A. T. Swesi, J. Masud, M. Nath. Enhancing Electrocatalytic Activity of Ni3Se2 for Water Oxidation through Etching-induced Surface Nanostructuring. J. Materials Research 2016, 31, 2888-2896 (invited paper).
14. J. Masud, A. Swesi, W. P. R Liyanage and M. Nath. Cobalt Selenide Nanostructures: An Efficient Bifunctional Catalyst with High Current Density at Low Coverage. ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2016, 8, 17292?17302.
13. J. Masud, S. Umapathi, A. Nikitaa and M. Nath. Iron phosphide nanoparticles as an efficient electrocatalyst for the OER in alkaline solution. J. Mater. Chem. A 2016, 4, 9750-9754.
12. J. Masud and M. Nath. Co7Se8 Nanostructures as Catalysts for Oxygen Reduction Reaction with High Methanol Tolerance. ACS Energy Lett. 2016, 1, 27–31.
11. A Swesi*, J. Masud* and M. Nath. Nickel Selenide As High-efficiency Catalyst for Oxygen Evolution Reaction. Energy Environ. Sci. 2016, 9, 1771-1782 (* Equally Contributed).
10. P. Desai, N. Ashokan, J. Masud, A. Pariti and M. Nath. Synthesis and magnetic properties of superparamagnetic CoAs nanostructures. Materials Research Express 2015, 2, 036102.
09. J. Masud, T. V. Nguyen, N. Singh, E. McFarland, M. Ikenberry, K. Hohn, C. J. Pan and B. J. Hwang. A RhxSy/C Catalyst for the Hydrogen Oxidation and Hydrogen Evolution Reactions in HBr. J. Electrochem. Soc. 2015, 162 (4), F455-F462.
08. J. Masud, J. Walter, T. V. Nguyen, G. Lin, N. Singh, E. McFarland, H. Metiu, M. Ikenberry, K. Hohn, C. J. Pan and B. J. Hwang. Synthesis and Characterization of RhxSy/C Catalysts for HOR/HER in HBr. ECS Transactions 2014, 58 (37), 37-43.
07. J. Masud, M. T. Alam, Z. Awaludin, M. S. El-Deab, T. Okajima and T. Ohsaka. Electrocatalytic oxidation of methanol at tantalum oxide?modified Pt electrodes. J. Power Sources 2012, 220, 399.
06. Z. Awaludin, M. Suzuki, J. Masud, T. Okajima and T. Ohsaka. Enhanced Electrocatalysis of Oxygen Reduction on Pt/TaOx/GC. J. Phys. Chem. C 2011, 115 (51), 25557.
05. M. T. Alam, J. Masud, M. M. Islam, T. Okajima and T. Ohsaka. Differential Capacitance at Au (111) in 1-Alkyl-3-Methylimidazolium Tetrafluoroborate Based Room-Temperature Ionic Liquids. J. Phys. Chem. C 2011, 115 (40), 19797.
04. J. Masud, M. T. Alam, T. Okajima and T. Ohsaka. Catalytic Electrooxidation of Formaldehyde at Ta2O5 ? Modified Pt Electrode. Chem. Lett. 2011, 40 (3), 252.
03. J. Masud, M. T. Alam, M. R. Miah, T. Okajima and T. Ohsaka. Enhanced Electrooxidation of Formic Acid at Ta2O5 ? Modified Pt Electrode. Electrochem. Commun. 2011, 13, 86.
02. M. R. Miah, J. Masud and T. Ohsaka. Kinetics of oxygen reduction reaction at electrochemically fabricated tin-palladium bimetallic electrocatalyst in acidic media. Electrochim. Acta 2010, 56, 285–290.
01. M. R. Miah, J. Masud and T. Ohsaka. In situ fabricated iodine-adlayer assisted selective electrooxidation of uric acid in alkaline media. Electrochim. Acta 2008, 54, 316
Doctorate in Chemistry (Electrochemistry), Tokyo Institute of Technology, Japan.