Lewis RJ Archer
Assistant Chair of Flight Academics, Assistant Professor, Aviation
- In-Flight Loss of Control, Pilot Fatigue, Airline Training and Operations
Please utilize Starfish to schedule an appointment: https://und.starfishsolutions.com/starfish-ops/support/login.html > My Success Network > Show Other Support Services > College of Aerospace Sciences – Student Services. Click on my name or the three dots to the right and select “schedule”.
Lewis Robert James Archer is an Assistant Professor of Aviation and the Assistant Chair of Flight Academics at the University of North Dakota's (UND) John D. Odegard School of Aerospace Sciences. Lewis has experience as an airline pilot, turbine flight instructor, and check airman. He has operated various aircraft including the DeHavilland Canada Dash-8-100 and Dash-8-300, Beechcraft King Air C90GTi, and Pilatus PC-12. Currently, Lewis teaches a variety of courses including Introduction to Aviation (Private Pilot), IFR Regulations and Procedures, Transport Category Systems, and Advanced Aircraft Operations.
Lewis possesses a Bachelor of Science in Aeronautics and a Master of Science in Aviation, both from UND. His aeronautical qualifications include an Airline Transport Pilot certificate with multiengine land and DHC-8 ratings and a Flight Instructor certificate with single-engine, multiengine, and instrument ratings. Lewis has been published in various peer-reviewed academic journals and aviation periodicals.
A native of Norfolk, UK, Lewis enjoys traveling the world with his wife and son to visit family. Additionally, Lewis enjoys researching aviation history, finding opportunities to fly, and working on scale-model aircraft.
- AVIT 102: Introduction to Aviation
- AVIT 221: Basic Attitude Instrument Flying
- AVIT 222: IFR Regulations and Procedures
- AVIT 323: Aerodynamics
- AVIT 324: Aircraft Systems
- AVIT 325: Multi-Engine Systems and Procedures
- AVIT 327: Gas Turbine Engines
- AVIT 399: VFR and IFR Technical Aviation Communications
- AVIT 414: Flight Instructor Certification
- AVIT 415: Instrument Flight Instructor
- AVIT 428: Transport Category Systems
- AVIT 480: Advanced Aircraft Operations
- AVIT 708: Crew Resource Management
- AVIT 709: High Altitude Operations
- AVIT 710: King Air Systems and Procedures
- AVIT 711: Airline Operations
- AVIT 712: Airline Transport Pilot
- Use of Rounded Base Turns in General Aviation Traffic Patterns (Master's Thesis)
Archer, L., & Higgins, J. (2017). Use of Rounded Base Turns in General Aviation Traffic Patterns : A Quantitative Analysis.
Archer, L., & Kenny, D. (2018). 'Round the Patch: A Potential Solution to Reduce Pattern Risk. AOPA Pilot.
Wilson, N., Guragain, B., Verma, A., Archer, L., & Tavakolian, K. (2019). Blending Human and Machine: Feasibility of Measuring Fatigue Through the Aviation Headset. Human Factors. https://doi.org/10.1177/0018720819849783
Wang, C., Guragain, B., Verma, A., Archer, L., Majumder, S., Mohamud, A., . . .Wilson, N., Tavakolian, K. (2019). Spectral Analysis of EEG during Microsleep Events Annotated via Driver Monitoring System to Characterize Drowsiness. IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, 1.
- Airline Transport Pilot: Airplane Multiengine Land; DHC-8
- Commercial Pilot: Airplane Single-Engine Land
- Flight Instructor: Airplane Single and Multiengine; Instrument Airplane
- Remote Pilot: Small Unmanned Aircraft System
- Restricted Radio Operator Permit
- Instructor of the Month, UND Aerospace Flight Operations (April 2013)
- Bachelor of Science in Aeronautics, University of North Dakota (2011)
- Master of Science in Aviation, University of North Dakota (2017)
- College Teaching Certificate, University of North Dakota (2020)
- Doctor of Education in Educational Practice and Leadership, University of North Dakota (in progress)
- 2019-Present: Asst. Chair of Flight Academics/FAA Chief Ground Instructor, UND Dept. of Aviation
- 2018-Present: CRJ Instructor, UND Flight Operations
- 2017-Present: Asst. Professor, UND Dept. of Aviation
- 2013-Present: Flight Instructor/Stage Check Pilot, UND Flight Operations
- 2015-2019: Contract Academics Director, UND Dept. of Aviation
- 2014-2017: Lecturer, UND Dept. of Aviation
- 2014: Standards Lead Flight Instructor, UND Flight Operations
- 2013-2017: King Air Flight Instructor, UND Flight Operations
- 2012-2013: First Officer, Piedmont Airlines (d/b/a US Airways Express)
- 2011-2012: Flight Instructor, UND Flight Operations
- Aviation Safety Council
- Event Review Team
- FDM Gatekeeper
- ALPA ACE Faculty Advisor