Policies & Procedures

Available upon request. In order to receive advance pay, you must apply at least 30 days before the first day of classes.

You cannot be certified/draw benefits for an audited course. Tutoring is available, if needed, up to $600. If you need tutoring, please visit Veteran & Nontraditional Student Services to pick up the appropriate forms.

If changing your major, please contact the college of your new major. They will be able to process your request and get your degree updated in Campus Connection.

If you drop a course during the semester, the VA may consider the drop retroactive to the start of the semester/course. If this changes your enrollment status, an overpayment situation may occur.

If you drop a summer course, email UND.VeteranServices@UND.edu as soon as possible. Due to the shortened terms of summer, changes to your class schedule will affect your payment.

Below Half-Time

Veterans and service members training at less than half time will be paid only tuition and fees for the entire term.

Part-Term Courses

The VA will count part-term courses toward your enrollment status only while that course is actually in session.


  • "U" Grades: The VA will not credit a course toward your enrollment status if the final grade is a "U". This can lead to an overpayment situation at the end of a semester.

  • "I" Grades: If an "I" grade is not made up within one year, the VA will deduct those credits from your enrollment status for that term and an overpayment situation may result.

Enroll Anytime courses may be taken for college credits that are applied towards a degree. These courses can be taken to receive VA Funding, but not for Federal Tuition Assistance. The dates of payment are for the enrollment dates, you have 9 months to complete the course. See Forms & Checklists for additional information.

During a regular semester, independent study can be counted toward your enrollment status only when the term dates overlap.

If you're transferring either to UND or from UND to another school and are already receiving your benefits, you need to fill out a 22-1995 form, (or the online 22-5495 for Chapter 35 recipients) and submit it to the VA.

  • No late fee will be charged to a returning service member their first semester back at UND.
  • No late fee will be charged to a student who is using VA education benefits to pay tuition and fees.

You must maintain satisfactory academic progress in order to continue receiving your benefits. The VA will terminate your benefits when probationary status continues past two semesters or when you are dismissed. At this time, reinstatement by the University is all that is required for UND to re-certify you for benefits.

Students under all chapters are eligible to apply for VA work-study positions. You must be enrolled at least ¾ time and drawing your benefits. Please contact Veteran & Nontraditional Student Services if you are interested.