Find your career at the UND Career Expo.
Upcoming Career Expo Events
Spring 2023 Part-Time & Summer Jobs Fair
Wednesday, April 5, 2023 | 2 - 5 p.m. | Memorial Union Ballroom
Fall 2023 Career Expos
Day 1: Monday, September 18, 2023
Day 2: Tuesday, September 19, 2023
Spring 2024 Career Expos
Day 1: Monday, February 5, 2024
Day 2: Tuesday, February 6, 2024
Reasons to Attend the Career Expo
- Learn about potential internship and employment opportunities.
- Explore a variety of career paths.
- Meet and talk with representatives from a broad spectrum of companies.
- Discuss available positions and submit your resume to company recruiters, in-person.
- Learn how to network effectively while developing a network of contacts.
Reasons to Attend the Career Expo
Succeed in college and prepare for your career. The Student Timeline provides you with resources and action items you are encouraged to utilize and complete each academic year.
Upcoming Career Events
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Have your resume reviewed by Career Services at least 2 weeks in advance to help highlight your knowledge and skills to employers.
- Practice your thirty-second elevator pitch. Prepare a script that introduces yourself, states your knowledge of and interest in the company, and relates your background to the position or organization.
- Research the list of employers attending in Handshake so that you can be informed and ready to discuss their company and positions.
- Dress professionally and business-like. Wear modest and appropriate professional attire and comfortable shoes. Check-out the JCP Suit-Up event, hosted each fall and spring, for a chance to shop professional dress clothing at a discounted price!
- U Card (or know your ID number).
- A notepad and pen to take notes or jot down employer information.
- More than enough copies of your resume to hand out to employers. You should also upload your resume to your Handshake profile!
- A friendly, positive attitude when you meet with employers and other students.
- Electronic documents that reflect your work (if participating in the virtual event).
- A computer with access to video and microphone (if participating in the virtual event).
- In the weeks leading up to the virtual career expo, companies will create group sessions
(up to 50 participants and 30 minutes in length) and 1:1 sessions (10 minutes in length)
in Handshake. To connect with a company:
- Log in to your Handshake account.
- Click on "Events" on the top left side of your screen.
- Click on "Career Fair."
- Find UND's Career Expo events.
- In the upper right corner, click the blue box that says "Register."
- You'll now be able to see all of the group and 1:1 sessions that are offered during the virtual event, and sign up for the ones that interest you!
- It is highly recommended that you register for group and 1:1 sessions well in advance of the virtual fair, as spots are limited.
- What are you looking for in a candidate?
- What do you enjoy about working for this company?
- What are some of the reasons you feel your company is attractive to young professionals?
- What kinds of additional training or education would set me apart in this field?
- I don’t have a traditional background in (field or function) but I have worked on
relevant). Would that be a good fit for (open role)?
- I noticed you didn’t have any (type of role or roles on a specific team) open at this
kinds of opportunities in those areas do you foresee down the line?
- What does the hiring process for (open role) look like?
- How does (Company name) support its employees as they look to grow and level up their
- What kind of person is most successful at (Company name)?
- What’s the best way to stay in touch with you?
- What would be a good next step to take after meeting you here?
- "What's the pay range for this position?" (Save this question for follow-up interviews)
- "What about benefits and vacation time?" (These items are usually explained when the hiring manager offers you the job)
- "Can you tell me about your company?" (This question shows that you haven't done your homework)
- Greet the recruiter with a firm handshake (if employer is comfortable) and maintain eye contact.
- Stand alone and be independent at the event. Try not to move in groups with your friends.
- Talk conversationally with the recruiter. Remember to smile.
- Advertise yourself. Develop a short introduction that sells you.
- Greeting, name, major, graduation date.
- Reason for attending the Career Expo.
- Evidence of your knowledge about the industry, company and products.
- Summary of your skills and experiences.
- Thank the recruiter for providing you with helpful information and shake their hand with a firm handshake.
- Ask for a business card so you can follow-up in a timely manner with a thank you email and/or connect on LinkedIn.
The day following the expo, email the representative(s) you spoke with. In your email, add the date, name of the event, and location, and thank them for their time. Reiterate important information that should be restated and emphasized, in addition to your qualifications and any information you neglected to mention.
- Proofread your email.
- Include a copy of your resume.
Evaluate your experience to understand how the next experience can be improved.
- Did you contact the company?
- Did you have difficulty answering any questions?
- Did you relate your academic studies to career goals?
- Did you mention experiential experiences?
Answering these questions and others can help prepare you for your next expo or meeting with any business professional as you develop your networking process.