An Employer To-Do List
Thinking of offering a virtual internship?
UND Career Services and the UND Pancratz Career Development Center encourage you to consider offering a virtual internship. There are so many tasks that can be completed remotely that you already do or perhaps you can develop new tasks that can work outside the four walls of an office.
Here are some helpful tips to consider:
- What does your organization need that can be accomplished remotely?
- Research on industry trends, consumer trends, etc?
- Customer contacts through email or phone?
- Social media advertising, blogs, website design?
- Create a job description from that list, including requirements, i.e., degree(s), skills, hours, duties, is anything preferred as well as required.
- Post on Handshake, UND.joinhandshake.com, connecting UND students and employers across the nation.
- Review applications and set up interviews via Zoom or telephone.
- Select your candidate and schedule onboarding via Zoom or telephone.
- Assign a supervisor and/or mentor to your new employee. Provide regular feedback and contact.
- Follow these best practices:
- Determine a reasonable set schedule, but provide flexibility as much as can be allowed.
- Include your intern on conference calls and/or Zoom meetings, and provide regular contact to help build and strengthen communication skills.
- Make sure your intern has adequate technology and security options.
- Set clear expectations (when will they check in, require a productivity report or a way to track hours and what they are working on).
- Set up performance reviews as you would for any other employee.
- Make your new hire feel part of the team!
Embracing the opportunity to hire a student to work from home sounds like a dream, but it has become our new reality and we are here to help. Please reach out to either of the Centers below with questions at any point in the process.
UND Career Services
UND Pancratz Career Development Center