Faculty and Staff
We're committed to collaboration with faculty and staff to ensure students get the resources they need for academic and professional success.
By working together, we can help students and alumni:
- Explore career opportunities
- Develop career-related skills
- Connect with employers
- Achieve their career goals beyond the classroom
How We Can Work in Partnership
Refer a Student
Refer students to work with our Career Coach or Career Mentors for customized feedback on resumes and cover letters, and for assistance in navigating the job and internship process.
Refer undecided or undeclared students to our Career Transition Coordinator for help choosing or changing a major.
Students can set up an appointment through Starfish or by calling 701.777.2117.
Spread the word about Handshake. Handshake is a great way for students to discover and land jobs and internships. In addition, students are visible to thousands of potential employers. Students can also connect with peers for tips and advice. All this, all in one place; from career-building resources to events on- and off-campus.
Here's how you can help:
- Add a link to Handshake to your Blackboard page or in your syllabus.
- In the classroom, assign students a project of setting up their profile in Handshake, completing a job search, having their resume reviewed by our office, and uploading it into Handshake for employers to see. They could write a one or two page paper on what they discovered, what features they used, if registered for, or attended an event they found on Handshake. To make grading easier, our office is happy to help verify that they logged-in and completed this.
- Contact our office or Request a Presentation for one of our staff members to speak about Handshake, the job search, resume and cover letter development, networking, and more. This can be done in-class or virtual.
- Share your company contacts with our office. We will connect and invite those employers to our Career Expos and to have a presence on Handshake and on campus.
- To see what students see in Handshake, contact our office about setting up your own profile so you can log-in and review jobs and internship openings, upcoming events, etc.
- Reach out to our Employer Relations Coordinator to help with connecting employers to students, employer related programming, etc.
- Let our office know if you'd be interested in employers hosting an information session during your class time. We also set up information sessions/meet the employer events after hours. You are always welcome to join us!
Career Expo Participation
UND faculty and staff are encouraged to attend our upcoming Career Expos. This is a great opportunity for students to connect with potential employers to discuss jobs and internships. Employers also appreciate the opportunity to visit with faculty to learn what you are teaching in the classroom so they can stay up-to-date with trends.
Please encourage your students to attend. A class project idea could be to attend and then write a paper on the event, what they experienced, how prepared they were, the employers they met with, tips they learned, and what they need to consider doing for the next Career Expo they attend. Another idea could be to ask your students to complete at least 40% of their Handshake profile, which we would be happy to verify that after your deadline for grading purposes. This will help them connect with potential employers during their time at UND and after.