Healthy Hawks Restart
Wilkerson Dining Center will begin to restart operations and serve a small number of students on campus starting July 5th, 2020. The remainder of Dining Services operations will be closed for the summer.
Dining Services will restart the remaining operations when the campus restarts in August. We will continue to update this page with the latest updates.
What To Expect
- UND Dining Services is committed to food safety and the safety of guests that dine on campus.
- The University’s stance on safeguarding the campus community is different than the state of North Dakota and even the local community, as explained in the Coronavirus Blog. The University has numerous unique aspects that are not present in many other places, such as high-density learning, living, and working environment with continuous interactions.
- Dining Services and UND Administrators are taking a cautious approach to reopen so we can keep everyone safe and healthy and stay open. The following expectations have been established to operate as safely as possible.
Plan Your Meal with Online Menus
- All guests are encouraged to review the Online Menus before entering the dining center.
- Planning ahead will speed up the service process so we are able to serve guests that may be waiting.
Face Coverings Required
- To support the health and safety of the campus community, UND has determined that face coverings will be required while on campus, including dining centers and retail stores.
The policy states that face coverings are required unless eating or drinking. Guests are encouraged to only remove their mask when they can maintain an appropriate physical distance of 6 feet apart.
Sanitize Hands Before Entering
- Guests are asked to sanitize hands before entering dining locations.
- Hand sanitizer will be provided at the entrance of each dining location.
Primarily Take Out
- Although dining rooms will be open, they will have limited occupancy to adhere to university physical distancing guidelines.
- Take out will be the primary option for guests utilizing the dining centers.
- When only take out is available, guests will receive one beverage cup upon arrival to the dining center.
Plexiglass Barriers Installed
- Plexiglass barriers have been installed for the safety of all guests and the Dining Services employees.
- Hand sanitizer stations will be made available throughout the service area.
No Contact Food Transfers
- Self-serve options will be discontinued in the dining centers. Dining Services employees will prepare and serve food to all guests.
- Trays will be used to transfer food containers or plates from staff to guests.
- Guests are asked to touch only their food container or plate to help eliminate additional touchpoints.
Disinfect Drink Dispenser and Toasters
- In accordance with the Grand Forks Health Department, all guests will be expected to use a disinfectant to clean frequently touched points on the beverage dispensers and toaster before and after dispensing a beverage.
- Disinfectants will be provided by each frequently touched surfaces along with signage reminding guests of the policy.
Limited Capacity, Mind Your Time
- University guidelines restrict occupancy of the dining centers, so a limited number of individuals will be allowed in at a time.
- Please be mindful of the amount of time you spend in the dining center to allow others to enter and access food.
One Person Per Table
- University standards only permit one person per table or booth.
Stay Home If Feeling Ill
- If you're not feeling well, please do not enter the dining center.
- We will be offering take out options that others can pick up for you in the event that you're feeling ill.
Squires Dining Updates
- Squires Food Court will be transformed back to Squires Dining Center.
Yes, guests participating in meal plans still have the opportunity to visit the dining centers as often as they desire.
At the dining centers, Guests will have the same food options that are being served for dine-in.
At remote meal delivery locations, students will be able to choose between a couple of meal options.
All guests are encouraged to check out the online menus before visiting a location to determine the best meal option.
Guests will be provided with 2 disposable clamshells, a soup/cereal bowl, and a beverage container each time they visit a dining center.
In the past, this has provided most guests with adequate space and volume to take the food they want.
The University’s stance on safeguarding the campus community is different than the state of North Dakota and even the local community.
The University has numerous unique aspects that are not present in many other places. Starting in August, UND will welcome thousands of students from nearly every state and dozens of foreign countries to Campus. Most campus activities will take place in a compact area.
Touchless Meal Plan Management
- We anticipate the launch of the GET Mobile App later this summer.
- The GET App will generate a unique barcode that will allow guests to scan into the dining center and use dining dollars at retail locations.
- GET is available for Android and Apple.
Online Ordering with GrubHub
- Coming this fall, GrubHub will be utilized on campus! This will allow guests to order food and drinks from our retail locations ahead of time all while utilizing dining dollars.
- Guests will be able to order Starbucks drinks, sandwiches, and more utilizing the app.
- GrubHub is available for Android and Apple.
Fighting Hawks Fuel
- We are launching NEW meal options this fall to help accommodate additional take out needs under our new line of Fighting Hawks Fuel products.
- Fighting Hawks Fuel will offer a wide variety of meals and food options for guests. This includes microwaveable meals, sandwhiches, and more!
To accommodate for limited occupancy at the dining centers, we will be offering a wide variety of meal options, including high-quality, microwaveable meals. We recommend ordering a MicroFridge for your residence hall room so you can easily warm up your food.
Housing partners with Collegiate Concepts, INC. to offer a 700-watt microwave and 3.1 cubic feet fridge combination appliance that is designed for our residence hall spaces. MicroFridge® with Safe Plug® is the only approved microwave by housing because it's safe. There are no exposed heating elements and MicroFridge® with Safe Plug®'s patented internal circuitry is designed to reduce energy consumption.
UND Healthy Hawks Smart Restart
Follow the Healthy Hawks Smart Restart blog for all UND campus announcements.