Earth Choice Packaging
- Every EarthChoice product provides at least one of four benefits to the environment.
- Minerals added to various EarthChoice products result in roughly 50% less plastic than standard PP containers. Starches are used in other applications, thus reducing plastic usage.
- We purchase three compartment carry out container and microwavable meals containers from the PP & MFPP line from Earth Choice.
- We also purchase soup containers, cold salad containers and hot cups from the PLA line.
- These are all currently used in our current service format at Wilkerson Dining Center.
- You can learn more about Earth Choice and what they offer.
- Leanpath food waste prevention technology enables commercial kitchens to dramatically reduce preconsumer food waste and operate a more sustainable facility.
- Digital scales and data tracking software make preconsumer food waste information easily accessible to leaders and front-line workers. Information is shared to implement more efficient processes and procedures.
- When staff are following a reciepe and make a mistake, they weigh the food that will be waste it and code it in the Leanpath system to be analyzed.
- Food waste that is not edible is also measured through this program. This includes items like watermelon rinds.
- You can learn more about the Leanpath Program and the steps they take to help reduce food waste.
- We compared waste between two dining centers, Squires and Wilkerson, and how much waste was produced. The largest difference between the two dining centers being that one had trays and one didn't.
- This was a blind study, meaning that guests did not know it was happening. It was completed in February, 2018 by the UND Dining Services team. The study was done on multiple days across the two different dining centers.
Going trayless reduced total waste by 44%.
Trayless Food Waste
With Trays Food Waste
Wilkerson Total Waste
Squires Total Waste
Local Partnerships & Quality
- Baker boy is a manufacturer of premium bakery products for foodservice, bakery, C-store, and private label customers.
- Was founded in 1955 and is located in Dickinson, North Dakota.
- Baker Boy uses 300,000 pounds of flour each week, buying most of the flour from the North Dakota Mill. Yeast is purchased from Whapeton, boxes from Fargo and Grand Forks companies and sugar from United Sugars.
- Participate in recycling programs and implement other programs to reduce waste and minimze the companies environmental footprint.
- Support the United Way, matching every dollar contributed by employees.
- Sponsor a variety of vital social causes, including Relay for Life, the Great American Bike Race, Boy Scouts, and Heart Butte Scout Camp.
- You can learn more about Baker Boy and the products that they offer.
- Located in Mandan, North Dakota.
- Sources only the highest quality Midwestern hogs that are responsibly harvested to the highest standards.
- Works with transportation companies to cut down on inefficiencies when transporting products.
- Has many different recycling programs and is constantly evolving recycling efforts.
- You can learn more about Cloverdale and the products that they offer.
- Located in Bottineau, North Dakota.
- Pride Dairy makes premium Ice Cream, All Natural Flavored Caramels, Juneberry topping, Raspberry topping, Rhubarb-Strawberry topping, Chokecherry Syrup and Gourmet Butters.
- USA Today named Pride Dairy the best ice cream parlor in the state of North Dakota.
"At UND Dining, we take pride in serving locally sourced, high-quality products. We only want to serve the best to our students and guests on campus. We also do what we can to reduce our footprint. We operate our Leanpath Program, have removed trays from the Dining Centers, and continue efforts to educate guests about reducing food waste." - Dustin Frize