Check-out schedules will be posted by the RA on Reading and Review Day. You must sign up for a check-out at least 24 hours prior to your move-out.
The check-out process is simple and quick, but very important. If for some reason you are unable to line up a time with your own RA, they will help you set up a time with another staff member.
Check-out times are between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m.
If you need to check out before or after these times, or if you signed up for an extended contract and you will be here past the time the hall closes, special arrangements can be made through your Residence Life Coordinator.
You must schedule a check-out time at least 24 hours prior to check-out.
Residents who fail to check-out with a staff member will be charged $50, in addition to the cost of key replacement/recore and any cleaning and/or damage charges.
Move Out Checklist
When your scheduled check-out time arrives, all of your belongings must be out of your room. Your area should be clean and in the same set-up arrangements as when you moved in. When you check-out with your RA, please make sure you have taken care of the following items:
- Room has been thoroughly cleaned (see room cleaning instructions).
- Return safety railing and ladder to Wilkerson Commons Service Center (if applicable).
- HDTV boxes are returned to a service center or Housing staff member.
- Lights are turned off.
- Keys are turned in to RA.
- Check-out process has been properly completed.
- Inform RA of any needed repairs in the room.
- Forwarding address updated in your Housing Self Service.
Clean Your Room
Thoroughly clean room. Cleanliness is the absence of dirt, including dust, stains, bad smells, and garbage. Room cleanliness upon checkout includes, but is not limited to:
- All room surfaces wiped down. Floor is swept and mopped (or vacuumed if applicable).
- Wardrobe, dresser, and desk are emptied and wiped down.
- Room door, ceilings, and walls are free of tacks, tape, adhesive strips, decorations.
- Beds are unbunked and set to the correct height. Mattress is wiped down.
- Room window has the screen in place, is free of stickers, smudges, cobwebs, etc, and is closed and locked. Leave blinds open.
- All furniture is clean and in the condition that was noted upon check-in. Discrepancies may result in fee being assessed.
- Trash and recycling bins have been emptied and thoroughly cleaned and trash taken to outside dumpster.
Common assessed fees are outlined below. These figures do not include the cost of labor to address these maintenance concerns.
- Lost Outside Entry Door Key $30.00
- Lost Room or Suite Door Key $50.00
- Peep Hole Replacement $18.00
- 12" x 12" Ceiling Tile Replacement $36.00 + min labor
- 24" x 24" Suspended Ceiling Tile Replacement $21.25 each
- 24" x 48" Suspended Ceiling Tile Replacement $19.10 each
- 24" x 60" Suspended Ceiling Tile Replacement $22.40 each
- Patching and painting of holes in wall up to 6” - $160.00
- Patching and painting of holes in wall 6”-12” - $210.00
- Paint Room Ceiling $150.00
- Paint - 1 Room wall $100.00
- Paint - 4 Room walls $350.00
- Remove nail holes from walls (time est.) $46.30/hr.
- Floor Tile Replacement $17.50 min labor plus $3.00 per tile
- Drawer Repair $19.78
- Desk Drawer Front Replacement $37.78
- Desk (Walsh) Replacement $487.60
- Desk (Noren, Brannon, Selke, West, and McVey) Replacement $345.00
- Desk (University Place) Replacement $374.00
- Desk Drawer Front Replacement (University Place) $64.29
- Desk Chair Replacement $130.53
- Desk Chair Replacement (University Place) $198.00
- Reattach Wardrobes $54.11 ea.
- Reattach Desks (if undamaged) $35.85 ea.
- Swanson Wardrobe Replacement $920.00 ea.
- 3 Drawer Chest Replacement (University Place) $313.00 ea.
- Bed Frames $83.60
- Bed Leg Coasters $10.75 ea.
- Bed Post Caps $8.34 ea.
- Mattress Replacement $96.14
- Mattress Hole or Soiled (1 side) - Recover $48.07
- Loft Kit (Bek & Squires) 2 ends and stabilizer $183.00 (+$50 shipping)
- Loft Kit Bed Ends (Bek & Squires) 2 ends and spring $189.00 (+$50 shipping)
- Bed Loft Replacement (Noren, Brannon, Selke, West, McVey, Johnstone / Fulton) $378.00
- Bed Loft Replacement (University Place) $330.00
- Wood Ends (Noren, Brannon, Selke, West, McVey, Johnstone / Fulton, University Place) $309.00
- Springs (Noren, Brannon, Selke, West, McVey, Johnstone / Fulton, University Place) $207.00
- Steel Channel (Noren, Brannon, Selke, West, McVey, Johnstone / Fulton, University Place) $16.00
- Guard Rail $82.00
- Window Screen Replacement $65.70
- Replace Mini Blind $68.00
- Replace Two Panels Drapes (one window) $235.00
- Clean Drapes - one window $55.83
- Vertical Blinds - 1 vein $22.95
- Upper Level Bedroom Blinds (University Place) $139.00
- Upper Level Living Room Blinds (University Place) $164.00
- Main Floor Bedroom Blinds (University Place) $137.00
- Main Floor Living Room (University Place) $174.00
- Vane Replacement (University Place) $18.90
- Wand Replacement (University Place) $6.90
What if my roommate is staying in the room?
Complete the cleaning process for your side of the room. UND Housing Staff will still check through the items listed above.
Will I be charged a cancellation fee?
A cancellation fee is assessed if you will remain a student at UND. Please refer to the Residence Hall Room and Meal Plan License Agreement.
How do I get my mail after I checkout?
Be sure to update your forwarding address in Housing Self Service, update your address in Campus Connection and contact individual businesses who frequently mail you items with your summer address.
More Move Out Tips
Trash bags may be obtained from your RA. All trash is to be taken to the outside dumpsters. Place furniture and other large objects you are going to throw away beside the dumpster.
If you have a bike chained to a bike rack, don't forget to take it with you or move it to Noren Hall if you are staying for summer school. Bikes left after May 16, 2019 will be removed by the University.
If you live in a suite, the housekeepers will not clean your bathroom during finals week unless you make arrangements with your BST.
Your Postal Mail
During the summer months, all mail received by the Housing Office is forwarded to the Forwarding Address indicated in your Housing Self Service under Personal Information>Addresses.
To receive your mail faster, please:
- Change the address of all your magazines and newspapers before you leave school for the summer. (Non-1st class mail will not be forwarded.)
- Notify friends and family of your new summer address and when the address will be in effect.
- Go to your Housing Self Service, "Personal Information" and change your "Forwarding Address" to where you want to receive mail for the summer. This change occurs immediately.
- If you are attending summer school, please notify family, friends and all business contacts that all correspondence must be addressed to:
Room XXX Noren Hall
Grand Forks, ND 58202
The "XXX" is your summer assignment room number. Incoming mail with any other hall address (example: Squires Hall or Walsh Hall) will be forwarded to your home address.