Position Information & Application
The University of North Dakota (UND) Vice President for Student Affairs (VPSA) provides creative vision and leadership for all student affairs programs and activities. With a mission to keep students central in all decisions and actions, the vice president and student affairs staff seek to enhance student growth, to develop an institutional atmosphere in which student academic and personal success are encouraged and fostered, and to provide outstanding services and programs that enrich the student experience at UND.
Reporting directly to the president, the VPSA is committed to the general welfare and vitality of the institution and is a primary liaison between student affairs and other major components of the University. The VPSA is an advocate for students and seeks to create a positive learning environment for all students, especially outside the classroom. The VPSA is also responsible for policy, long-range planning, budget, personnel, and coordination of the departments which together comprise the Division of Student Affairs.
UND seeks a dynamic and visionary leader who will participate in the university-wide efforts on strategic planning, prioritization of strategic initiatives, and development of legislative proposals; lead the division’s efforts on strategic planning and goal setting; and partner with the special assistant to the president for diversity and inclusion to develop university-wide strategies and programs on diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) and to infuse equitable and inclusive practices that support our student population.
The vice president will lead campus-wide efforts on student mental health awareness, assessment, and program development, coordinating closely with other campus units such as the Division of Academic Affairs and the Athletic Department.
The next VPSA will be a committed team player who is devoted to excellence and shared governance. The selected individual will be a consultative decision-maker, serving as a member of the President’s Executive Council, and will work collaboratively with and advocate for students and their concerns. The VPSA will have unquestioned integrity and exemplary interpersonal and communication skills.
The incoming vice president will have the opportunity to work alongside both internal and external partners. The VPSA will participation in the governance process and the execution of a new public-private partnership model for residence halls and housing services. The vice president will connect student programs and divisional activities with the Grand Forks community and the state of North Dakota and serve as a visible university representative in the local community and across the state. Moreover, the VPSA will develop and execute fundraising and stewardship plans in support of student affairs through collaboration with the board and staff of the UND Alumni Association and Foundation.
- A master’s degree.
- Ten years of directly related leadership experience in student affairs.
- Demonstrated interest in and commitment to students.
- Progressively responsible and successful administrative experience in a complex, multifaceted organization.
- Proven ability to work effectively as a member of a leadership team.
- Experience working with strategic planning and budgeting processes.
- Experience and understanding of learning outcomes and assessment.
- Experience with auxiliary services, such as housing and dining.
- Experience with student-related judicial affairs.
- Excellent analytical, professional, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Successful experience working with students, faculty, and staff and collaborating across campus units.
- Demonstrated experience working effectively with a diverse student body, faculty, and staff, whose life experiences bring essential contributions to the rich mosaic of our University.
- Demonstrated experience infusing diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) practices in student affairs programs and initiatives in higher education.
- Experience working with Responsibility-Centered Management (RCM) budget processes.
- Experience in developing and managing public-private partnerships.
- An earned PhD.
Supplemental University Information
- University Profile - Learn more about the position, University stragetic plan, points of pride, the budget model, the Greater Grand Forks community and state of North Dakota.
- Benefits Package - From fully-paid family health plans to tuition waivers, UND employees are provided with benefits that make great careers even better.
- UND YouTube Channel - View a plethora of videos including campus tours, Leaders in Action feature stories, life as a UND student, research, athletics, and much more.
- Task Force on the Future of Education - Review the report that speaks to the big issues facing higher education today and what the future might hold for education at UND.
- Diversity & Inclusion Task Force - Review this report that was designed to identify goals and initiative to create a stronger sense of belongingness at UND.
Video from Interim VP Hellwig - Hear why Interim Vice President Beth Hellwig likes UND and Grand Forks, and learn more about the exciting opportunity that lies ahead for the next vice president for student affairs.