- Center for Instructional and Learning Technologies
- Tech Support
- NDUS Identifier
A-Z Change/Forgot Password Current Students Faculty/Staff Guests and Affiliates Preceptors and Proctors Prospective Students
NDUS Account (NDUS.Identifier)
The North Dakota University System Account (NDUS.Identifier) is used to access most UND and NDUS systems.
New students (credit courses only), faculty, and staff must claim their account. The claim process includes: viewing a short video, completing an IT security quiz, and entering your date of birth and EMPLID/Student ID number. At the end of the process, you will be given your NDUS.Identifier/username and will set your password and responses to your security questions.
If you have been issued a t.firstname.lastname account (non-credit students, guest access, etc.), please contact UND Tech Support for password assistance.
For assistance with your account password, contact the NDUS Help Desk by phone at 866.457.6387, visit the NDUS Help Desk website or use the following options:
- Forgot Password - Enter your NDUS.Identifer/username and answer at least three of the security questions you set up when you claimed your account.
- Change your password - Enter your NDUS.Identifier/username and current password and enter a new password.
- Update your security questions - Enter your NDUS.Identifier/username and current password and change the answers to your security questions (this is recommended each time you change your password).
- Temporary account - If you are a guest or non-credit student and have been issued a t.firstname.lastname identifier, please contact UND Tech Support for password assistance.
90-Day Password Expiration Policy
The North Dakota University System requires that NDUS.Identifier passwords are changed every 90 days. Notices are sent 14 days and 2 days prior to your password expiration date to the email address on file for the account.
Your North Dakota University System (NDUS) Identifier or username typically uses the firstname.lastname format.
- Claim your NDUS account - New students (credit courses only), faculty, and staff must claim their account. The claim process includes: viewing a short video about the North Dakota University System, completing an IT security quiz (12 questions), and entering your date of birth and EMPLID/Student ID number. At the end of the process, you will be given your NDUS.Identifier/username and will set your password and responses to your security questions.
- Check to see if you already claimed your account - You will enter your date of birth and EMPLID (or student ID number) to find out if your account has already been claimed.
- Look up your EMPLID number - You will be prompted for your social security number (SSN), date of birth, and legal name in order for the system to match the provided information with your EMPLID number.
Systems that use the NDUS.Identifier
The NDUS.Identifier/username is used to access many NDUS and UND systems, such as:
- Campus Connection
- HRMS (Employee Self-Service)
- Student email
- Wireless network and VPN
- Adobe Connect
- Library proxy access
- OmniUpdate (web content)
Things to know before changing a NDUS.Identifier/username
The NDUS.Identifier/username can be changed upon request due to changes to legal name, preferred first name, or a FERPA privacy request.
There are several things to know before requesting that your NDUS.Identifier/username be changed:
- For legal name changes, students should complete a Legal Name Change Form with the Registrar's Office and faculty/staff should contact HR/Payroll before submitting a username change request. This is required for changes to a last name.
- For preferred name changes, we recommend updating the preferred name listed in Campus Connection prior to submitting a username change request.
- The NDUS.Identifier/username is not automatically updated after a legal or preferred name change in Campus Connection. The NDUS.Identifer/username request form may be completed to initiate this change.
- The requested NDUS.Identifier/username must be unique and cannot be in use within the North Dakota University System. Common names may require the addition of a middle initial or may be followed by a number. Requests to change back to the original NDUS.Identifier/username will require at least two weeks.
- Changing a NDUS.Identifier/username will also change the UND email address. Messages sent to the former email address will be delivered to the new email account.
- Raising the FERPA Privacy flag in Campus Connection will automatically change the NDUS.Identifier/username to a generic username (ex: User12345). This will also change the email address to match the anonymous NDUS.Identifier. (ex: email@example.com)
- Even after the username change, certain systems may still reference the previous name (preferred or legal name) and/or NDUS.Identifier/username for past history (e.g. Blackboard discussion boards or journals). New activity within the system will use the updated legal/preferred name and/or NDUS.Identifier.
Process for changing a NDUS.Identifier/username
1. Update your legal and/or preferred name.
- Legal name change: Students should complete a Legal Name Change Form with the Registrar's Office and faculty/staff should contact HR/Payroll. A legal name change is required to change a last name and is strongly recommended for updating a first name.
- Preferred name change: Access Campus Connection and select Main Menu > Campus Personal Information > Names. Make desired changes and click Save.
2. Complete the NDUS.Identifier/username change request form. You will be prompted to log in using your current NDUS.Identifier/username and password to access the form.
Once the form is submitted, UND Tech Support will review and forward the request to NDUS system administrators.
3. You will receive an email message letting you know when your new NDUS.Identifier/username is ready to claim. After following the instructions in the email for claiming the new account, system administrators will work to update your NDUS.Identifier/username for various systems.
The entire process will take 5-10 business days to complete. If you have any questions throughout the process, please contact UND Tech Support.
What to expect after submitting a Name Change Request Form
Once you have submitted your Name Change Request Form you will receive updates on the progress of the username change through a series of emails. First you will receive confirmation that the username change request was received. Then you will receive three emails, numbered (1/3), (2/3) and (3/3), respectively.
Email (1/3) - This email will ask you to Claim Your Account. The process involves watching video, passing the universities internet policy quiz and selecting a password. Once you claim your new account you will immediately be able to use your new NDUS.Identifier for the following things:
- Network Authentication
- Library proxy
All other systems will take some more time.
Email (2/3) - This email verifies that you claimed your account and advises you to use your new username and password for the systems mentioned above.
You can now log into your computer with your old NDUS.Identifier or with your new NDUS.Identifier. If you log in with your new NDUS.Identifier you will see a blank desktop and you will need to call tech support (701-777-6305) and request someone come move your content to your new desktop.
At this point you should still be using your old NDUS.Identifier for logging into all other university systems, such as Blackboard, Email and Citrix.
Email (3/3) - This email indicates that Blackboard and your email account have been updated to your new NDUS.Identifier. Email sent to your old account will be forwarded to your new account and any email that was in your email boxes will be copied into the new account. Systems updated when you receive this email are:
Systems that have still not updated, but will soon, usually within 24 hours, include:
- Network File Storage
- Adobe Connect
- Adobe Presenter
- Hoonuit by Atomic Learning
Temporary accounts (t.first.last)
There are a few instances (non-credit students, guest access, etc.) when a temporary identifier/username is given. The username usually follows the format t.firstname.lastname. If you have a question on your temporary identifier/username, please contact the department/program that gave it to you, or UND Tech Support for assistance.
How often do I have to change my password?
The North Dakota University System requires a password change every 90 days for NDUS accounts. To change your NDUS account password, visit the Change Password page.
How are affected users notified that their password will expire?
Notifications are sent 14 days and 1 day prior to the password expiration date to the email address on file for the user.
How do I change my password?
Visit the Change Password page and follow the steps to change your password. Most systems that require the NDUS.Identifier for a login will update immediately.
NOTE: Faculty/Staff email does NOT use the same login/password. This is separate and can be changed in the Office 365 Web Portal
What do I do if my password has already expired?
Visit the Change Password page and log in with your existing NDUS.Identifier/username and password. Once logged in the system will immediately prompt you to update your password. Most systems that require the NDUS.Identifier for a login will sync with the new password immediately.
Will my email password expire?
Student email accounts are synced with the NDUS.Identifier and will be affected by the 90-day password change policy. Once the NDUS.Identifier password is changed, the student email account password will also be changed.
The faculty/staff email system is NOT synced with the NDUS.Identifier. Changing the NDUS.Identifier password will not affect the faculty/staff email account password. The faculty/staff email password can be changed using the Office 365 Web Portal. Once logged in, select the gear option in the upper right corner and then select Office 365 Settings, then select Password.
Why am I still having trouble logging into some systems after changing my password?
- If you sign into your desktop computer with AD/NDUS.Identifier (AD/jane.doe) and you changed your password from a notification that appeared upon attempting to log into your computer, then your password did not officially change for your NDUS.Identifier Account. Instead, change your password here.
- Adobe Connect passwords sync once daily at 5am. If a password is changed, it will not sync with Adobe Connect until the following day at 5am. If you need to access Adobe Connect prior to this, please contact UND Tech Support and they can assist you.
- Faculty/staff email is not tied to the NDUS Account and uses a separate password. If you are not sure what your faculty/staff email password is, please contact UND Tech Support for assistance.
Why is the 90-Day password change enforced?
The North Dakota University System requires NDUS.Identifier passwords to be changed every 90 days in an effort to strengthen IT Security within the North Dakota University System.
Questions/concerns can be directed to the NDUS System Office at 701.777.7287 or 701.239.6626.
How do I correct the spelling of my name?
If your name is spelled incorrectly in your NDUS.Identifier/username and you want to correct it, first verify that your name is spelled correctly in Campus Connection. If it is not correct in Campus Connection, contact the Registrar's Office (students) or Human Resources (faculty/staff) to correct the spelling.
Once your name is spelled correctly in Campus Connection, submit an NDUS.Identifier/username change request to have the misspelling corrected. The NDUS.Identifier/username will be updated to match the spelling of the legal or preferred name.
What is affected by the FERPA Privacy Flag?
A request to Restrict Directory Information raises the FERPA Privacy Flag in Campus Connection. When the request to restrict directory information/FERPA Privacy flag is given, an anonymous NDUS.Identifier/username (ex: user12345) and email account (ex: firstname.lastname@example.org) are created.
Can I go back to my previous NDUS.Identifier/username?
Yes. However, requests to change back to the original NDUS.Identifier/username will require at least two weeks.
Will my previous email address still work?
After changing your NDUS.Identifier/username, messages sent to your old email address will automatically go to your new email account.
What is the difference between my legal name, preferred name, display name, and NDUS.Identifier?
Legal Name - The legal name appears in Campus Connection and is used to generate an NDUS.Identifier/username.
Preferred Name - The preferred name can be set within Campus Connection to be different from the legal name. The preferred name is not automatically used to create the NDUS.Identifier/username. If you wish for your NDUS.Identifier/username to match your preferred name, please submit a NDUS.Identifier/username change request.
Display Name - The display name is how your name appears in various systems, such as Blackboard and Office 365 email. Most systems will use the legal name as the display name unless a preferred name (first name only) is entered into Campus Connection. A NDUS.Identifier/username change is still necessary to change the actual email address and a legal name change is required to change how the last name is displayed.
NDUS.Identifier/username - The NDUS.Identifier is the username used to log into most UND and NDUS systems.