Online Master's in Counseling
Emphasis in K-12 School Counseling
Begins every Spring (January)
- 50 Credits
- 2.5 Years (Full-Time) to Complete
- Classes are Held Online in Evenings. During Classes, Students & Instructors Meet Together Online for Live Interactive Classes
- Two 4-Day On-Campus Visits Each Summer (4 Visits Total)
- In-State Tuition Regardless of Residency
- Ranked #3 in the Top 10 Counseling Programs Online by bestcounselingschools.com
Master's Degree for K-12 School Counseling
UND College of Education & Human Development's Master of Arts in Counseling with an Emphasis in School Counseling prepares you to promote the academic, career, personal and social development of K-12 students. Completion of coursework leads to eligibility for state department of education licensure in North Dakota as a school counselor and may be compatible with licensure requirements in other states.
Through online courses, practical experiences, and two mandatory 4-day on-campus visits each summer, you will be prepared to assist students in:
- elementary schools
- middle schools
- high schools
You will receive a broad, theoretical foundation in counseling plus hands-on experiences that will provide you with the skills and training needed to become a professional school counselor. A commitment to social justice and appreciation of diversity is also integrated throughout the curriculum.
- The program focuses on the American School Counselor Association’s National Model for comprehensive school counseling programs and incorporates many theoretical approaches to working with students.
- The program focuses on promoting social justice, appreciating diversity and working with underserved populations.
As a graduate of the School Counseling distance degree program, you will be able to:
- work in PK-12 settings as a professional school counselor, assisting students and parents with educational planning and the social and emotional development of the student
- help students evaluate their abilities, talents and personalities to develop realistic academic and career goals
- use interviews, counseling sessions, interest and aptitude assessment tests, and other methods to evaluate and advise students in educational and personal development
- develop, implement and evaluate high quality, comprehensive school counseling programs
- assist students who have academic and social development problems or other special needs
- teach students the life skills they need to deal with problems
Already Have Your Master's Degree? Online School Counselor Licensure Option
If you already hold a graduate-level degree in counseling or a related field, you may complete online Post-Master's Coursework for PK-12 School Counseling Licensure. Upon completion of an individualized program of study, you will be eligible school counseling licensure in the state of North Dakota. The coursework may also be compatible for school counseling licensure in other states; please verify with your state's department of education.
The application process for the School Counseling Licensure is the same as for degree seeking students.
- October 10