Master's in English Language Learner Education
Master of Education Degree
Begins every Fall (August) & Summer (May)
- 35 Credits
- 2+ Years to Complete
- Interact in a Virtual Classroom
- Semester-based Courses and 90 Hours of Practicum Experience
- In-State Tuition Regardless of Residency
Online Master's Degree in ELL Education
The University of North Dakota's online Master of Education in English Language Learner (ELL) Education prepares you to teach English to speakers of other languages and serve culturally diverse students in K-12 education settings. UND's online ELL Education program has curriculum that is the same or similar to other English as Second Language (ESL) or Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) master's degrees.
Completion of UND's online coursework leads to eligibility for the North Dakota ELL teacher endorsement and may completely or partially fulfill ELL, ESL or TESOL endorsement requirements in other states.
In addition, the flexibility of UND's online ELL Education program provides you with the knowledge and skills needed to teach bilingual education, adult TESOL education, as well as English abroad.
Through online courses and practicum experiences, you will learn to:
- design and implement instruction that integrates English language development with academic learning
- assess language proficiency levels of ELL / ESL students and use assessment results to plan instruction
- apply knowledge of linguistics and second language acquisition to ELL / ESL instruction and assessment
- understand the needs of ELL / ESL students from different cultural and linguistic backgrounds
- design and evaluate the effectiveness of ELL / ESL programs
As a graduate of UND's ELL Education online program, you will:
- possess the knowledge and skills necessary to be an effective ELL, ESL or TESOL educator
- understand the complex linguistic, educational and cultural variables in teaching diverse ELL / ESL populations, including immigrants, refugees, American Indians and migrant children
- gain the tools and skills needed to assist ELL / ESL populations in reaching their full potential as they make the U.S. their temporary or permanent home
- understand research and scholarly literature in ELL / ESL education and continue to be a lifelong learner
- help meet the growing need for ELL, ESL or TESOL educators, especially in rural areas
- be equipped to become a contributing member of an increasingly global, multicultural society
- become a collaborator, leader and advocate for ELL / ESL populations in schools and the broader society
Optional Focus in Rural ELL / ESL Education
Because The University of North Dakota serves a large rural region of the country, the degree includes a unique option of specializing in rural ELL / ESL education. This optional focus includes:
- ELL / ESL program design in rural schools
- the role of the ELL teacher in rural schools
- issues, challenges and alternatives in rural ELL / ESL education
Online Graduate Certificate in English Language Learner Education
As an alternative to the master's degree in ELL Education, you may pursue a fully online Graduate Certificate in English Language Learner Education by completing 7 required courses (20 credits) of graduate-level coursework.