Instructional Design & Technology
Master's Degree (MEd or MS)
Begins every Fall (August), Spring (January) & Summer (May)
- 34-36 Credits
- 2+ Years to Complete
- 100% Online (Synchronous Format)
- Live Web Classes Held Evenings/Weekends
- Semester-based Courses
- In-State Tuition Regardless of Residency
- Ranked in the Top 25 Best Online Master in Educational Technology Degree Programs by thebestschools.org
Quote from Current Student
“The live online experience is meant to mimic the in-school experience and the IDT program did a wonderful job at it. Not only because they know how to use the technology to make it happen, but they really focus on the human experience. They work on developing a learning community,” Terry Greene, IDT student.
What Is Instructional Design?
The field of Instructional Design (ID) lies at the intersection of three disciplines:
It first began during World War II when the military needed to develop effective training for large numbers of soldiers in order to save lives and equipment. By drawing from the known body of established research and theory in these disciplines, experts developed a model for ensuring effective training and learning, regardless of discipline, learners or environment.
- From psychology, they drew the best of what is known about how humans learn and develop
- From communications, they drew from all that is known about message design and communication
- From education, they pulled from all that is known about how people learn in formal and informal settings
Instructional design grew out of this process and today there are at least 40 different ID models used in education, corporate and government settings. All models share the same underlying process of Analysis, Design, Development, Implementation and Evaluation, also known as the ADDIE process.
Online Master's Degree in Instructional Design & Technology (IDT)
UND College of Education & Human Development's online Instructional Design & Technology (IDT) Master's Degree prepares you for service in education, business, government and industry by teaching you how to enhance instruction and learning through the use of technology.
With UND's online IDT master's degree program, you will:
- study the latest technology and its uses for teaching and learning
- use a process that is part science and part art to develop effective instruction, whether that is for the corporate training room or the public school classroom
- analyze, design, develop, implement and evaluate technology-based instruction that is effective and reflects sound ID principles
- develop computer-based instruction, multimedia, web-based instruction, video-based instruction, and even simulations and games for learning
- design learning for anyone, any time, on any topic and in any format.
Online Graduate Certificates in Instructional Design & Technology
You also may pursue a fully-online Graduate Certificate in Instructional Design & Technology by completing 12 credits of graduate-level coursework.
- August 1 (Fall)
- December 1 (Spring)
- May 1 (Summer)
Tweets by @UNDonline