- FY18 Annual Budget Calendar
- FY18 Guidelines and
- General Budget Guidelines
- Annual Budget Process
Annual Budget Process
UND, including the School of Medicine and Health Sciences, prepares an annual budget consistent with guidance from the State Board of Higher Education (SBHE). The annual budget is approved by the Chancellor on behalf of the SBHE. To the greatest extent practical, all funds are budgeted (good faith effort) based on information available at the time the budget is prepared. Budgets are adjusted throughout the year, as needed. Deficits are not an acceptable practice.
A variety of inquiries, reports and queries are available for use in reviewing actual fund activity as compared to budget and/or available cash. Examples include budgets overview and budget status reports (both in commitment control) as well as general ledger summary report and trial balance (found in the general ledger). In addition, system edits are available to facilitate budget checking. This provides an automated comparison to established budgets.
Departments are responsible for the accuracy of transactions recorded against their funds and conducting operations within the limit of funds allocated. The on-line access referenced above provides departments the necessary monitoring tools and ongoing training is offered to familiarize new users with the system.
Failure to link the budget to the strategic plan leads to the budget becoming the plan. The University of North Dakota Strategic Plan explicitly identifies how budgeting will be linked to planning.
North Dakota State Board of Higher Education has constitutional authority for the annual budget; they create policies and provide direction on an ongoing basis.
- NDUS staff prepare draft annual budget guidelines based on results of the biennial budget process and corresponding SBHE action.
- Higher education institutions across ND review and comment on the budget guidelines draft.
- SBHE approves the guidelines.
- UND begins the annual budget process.
- Within the context of existing SBHE guidelines, institutional decisions are made by the President in consultation with the Cabinet.
- Allocation of available appropriated and local funds is approved by the President, based upon Cabinet recommendations.
- University Fee allocation and Student Technology Fee allocation is approved by the President based on Committee recommendations.
- Other spending plans are developed, depending on available revenue.
- Departments prepare spending plans according to guidelines set above; these plans include all sources of funds.
- Annual budget documents with narrative are compiled by the UND Budget Office and submitted to NDUS for approval.
- NDUS Chancellor approves annual budgets. Any exceptions to SBHE guidelines must go back to the full board for approval. Line item transfers between operating and capital require SBHE approval.
- UND rolls the approved annual budget into PeopleSoft to facilitate tracking and reporting.