- Manager's Toolbox
Criminal History Records Check (3.2)
- E-Verify Information
- How to Run Queries
- HRMS Access
- HRMS Newsletters
- Interview Sample & Guidelines
- List Serves Access
- Manager Self Service
- New Hire and Transition Charts
- Peoplesoft Login
- Risk Mngmt & Workers Comp
- Supervisory Newsletters
- About Us
- Office Staff
- Organizational Chart
- SBHE Submissions
- VPFO Ticket Giveaway
- Contact Us
- Direct Reports
- Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action
- Human Resources and Payroll Services
- Public Safety
- Records Management
- A-Z Policy Index
- New & Revised Policy Updates
- Policy Tools and Development
- Other Policy Links
- Contact Us
- Accident Review Committee
- Agency Selection Committee
- Bookstore Advisory Committee
- Building/Facility Access Administrative Committee
- Fee Committee
- Loss Control Committee
- Policy Advisory Group
- Staff Personnel Advisory Committee
- Staff Senate
Lactation Policy for UND Staff and Faculty
Reason for Policy: In compliance with Section 7(r) of the Fair Labor Standards Act and North Dakota Century Code (NDCC) 23-12-17, and in support of the institution's Exceptional UND quality-of-life initiatives for faculty and staff, the University recognizes and respects the need to accommodate lactating mothers who choose to express breast milk during work time, without discrimination.
President Kelley signed Policy 3.7, Lactation Support for Nursing Mothers, on December 11, 2013.
Policy Statement: The University of North Dakota aims to provide a supportive and flexible environment for employees as they transition back to work after the birth of a child. The University provides reasonable time away from work for lactating mothers to express breast milk, and will make reasonable efforts to provide a private room or other location in proximity to work for such activity.
View full policy: Lactation Support for Nursing Mothers (3.7)
- Each room is private and in compliance with state and federal regulations.
- Room are available on a first-come, first serve basis. Time can be schedule depending on the number of people using the rooms.
- If you need access to a refrigerator or cooler, please contact the Grand Forks Public Health at: 701-787-8100.
- It is requested that all persons using the room to clean the area before leaving the room. The rooms are on a weekly cleaning schedule through UND maintenance services.
Mothering Room locations:
- Education Building – Room 245, at 231 Centennial Drive. This building has a private room with a sink. You will need to bring your own cooler.
- School of Medicine and Health Sciences - Room 5513 at 501 North Columbia Rd. This room requires a key, available on the2nd floor at the Family Medicine department. This room has a full refrigerator/freezer and access to a water supply in a restroom down the hall.
- Twamley Hall – Room 400B (near the snack bar) at 264 Centennial Drive. There is running water in the nearby restroom and you will need to bring your own cooler.
- Northern Plains Behavioral Research Building – Room 390 at 430 Oxford Street. This room has running water nearby and you will need to bring your own cooler.
- Information Technologies Building - Room 215A, at 4349 James Ray Drive. This room is on the west side of campus and the entrance is through a private door in the restroom. The mothering room has a refrigerator and sink.
- University Children's Learning Center - Room 195A at 525 Stanford Road. The room has running water nearby and you will need to bring your own cooler.
Posters, Handouts and Flyers
Grand Forks Public Health Department and Breastfeeding
- Personal Cooler lending program: Grand Forks 701-787-8100
- Greater Grand Forks Breastfeeding Coalition
- Mama's Milk Connection – Polk County, 218-281-3385, Ext. 2248
- North Dakota Century Code (NDCC) 23-12-17 – Workplace Breastfeeding Policies
- North Dakota Breastfeeding
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention – Breastfeeding
- Healthy People 2020: Maternal, Infant and Child Health: MICH 21 and MICH 22
- Section 7(r) Fair Labor Standards Act – Break Time for Nursing Mothers Provision
- United State Breastfeeding Committee
- United States Department of Health and Human Services: Office of Women's Health – Breastfeeding
Human Resources and
Human Resources and
Greater Grand Forks
President Robert O. Kelley signed Policy 3.7, Lactation Support for Nursing Mothers, on December 11, 2013.
The committee that created this policy included:
- Kim Ruliffson, Coordinator of Work Well – Wellness Center
- Pat Hanson, Director - Human Resources and Payroll Services
- Mandy Burbank, Grand Forks Department of Public Health
- Michelle Meyer, Research Office Manager - NursingMaridee Shogren, Clinical Assistant Professor - Nursing
- Amber Flynn, Coordinator of Staff Development, Health and Wellness
- Sarah Abentroth, Assistant Finance Manager - Facilities Maintenance
- Larry Zitzow, Director of Facilities - Facilities Maintenance
- Rick Sandwick, Human Resources Manager - Facilities Maintenance
Additional review was provided by the following:
- Kay Mendick, Program Director - Women's Center
- President's Advisory Board on Women
- Pam Henderson, Assistant Director for Student Life – Law School
- Vanessa Peterson, Service Area Clerk - Registrar
- Robyn Bancroft, Parking Business Manager – Parking Services
- Sue Bartley, Human Resources Manager – Energy & Environmental Research Center
- Sheryl Eicholtz-Landis, Contracts and Intellectual Property Manager - Energy & Environmental Research Center
- Susie Kroetsch, Accountant – Nursing
A special thank you is extended to Jen Rogers from the Policy Office for her assistance and patience in the process.
Additionally, thank you to the staff, faculty and students who provided valuable feedback during the public comment period.