- Applying for Graduation
- Graduate School
- Commencement Regalia
- University Bookstore Services
- Career Services
Getting Ready to Graduate
Upon completion of the courses listed in your program of study, you are eligible to graduate from the University of North Dakota. The following steps are required to complete the graduation process.
- Find us on Facebook! Become a fan of UND Ceremonies and Special Events to find your 2013 class event and receive special graduation updates.
- Apply to graduate using the on-line application.
- The Graduate School application in on-line. You can find the link on the registrar’s office website at https://apps.und.edu/graduationonline/ . Graduate students are eligible to apply for graduation only if they are advanced to candidacy.
- The deadlines for ALL applications are
- February 5 for the 2013 spring general commencement
- June 14 for the 2013 summer commencement
- September 24 for the 2013 winter commencement
- Any “Incomplete,” In Progress,” or “Missing Grades” must be resolved prior to the recording of your degree. Please contact the dean of your college or refer to Page 36 and/or Page 228 of the 2011-2013 Academic Catalog for the specific policy.
- All correspondence courses must be completed and grades recorded to your academic record before your degree can be awarded.
- If you have participated in study abroad, your works needs to be recorded on your academic record prior to the recording of your degree. Please contact the International Centre at 777-4231 with any questions.
- Once your degree has been cleared by your college and recorded to your transcript, your academic record for that degree is frozen and changes cannot be made. Any pending administrative procedure petitions or grade changes must be resolved BEFORE your degree can be awarded.
- Complete exit loan counseling before you graduate if you have ever received a federal student loan at UND. Federal student loans include: Direct, Stafford, GradPLUS, Perkins and Nursing Loans. This requirement must be completed online at UND.edu/financial-aid, click on Forms Quick Links in the left navigation.
- Make arrangements to check out of UND residence hall or apartment housing. Contact the Housing Office at 777-4251 with questions.
- Request a refund of your U Card, U Ca$h account if you have an unused balance. Any money left in this debit account will revert to the University U Card Office two years after becoming inactive. Contact the U Card Office (Memorial Union, Room 3) to request this refund.
- Contact Career Services for assistance with your job search and career development.
- If you are considering an advanced degree, consult with the Graduate School and University Testing Service to help with your plans.
- Purchase your cap, gown, and tassel from the UND Bookstore if you plan to participate in the commencement ceremony. Master's and doctoral candidates will also need to purchase a hood (see information for doctoral students below).
- Order graduation announcements and your class ring from the UND Bookstore (optional).
- To ensure that you receive your diploma, please update your home address and phone number on Campus Connection within 10 days following graduation.
- To request disability accommodations for the commencement ceremony, contact the Office of Ceremonies and Special Events at (701) 777-2724.
- Keep in touch with other University alumni through the UND Alumni Association at 1-800-543-8764 or www.undalumni.org.
- Check out 300 Things to Do at UND before you graduate!
If you are a doctoral degree candidate.
If you are a doctoral candidate, contact the Graduate School at (701) 777-2784 to notify them of your intention to participate in commencement and to provide the name of your advisor who will take part in the ceremony. NOTE: Candidates for the Doctor of Physical Therapy (D.P.T.) degree need to notify the Department of Physical Therapy instead of the Graduate School.
Purchase your doctoral hood, tam and gown at the University Bookstore at least one week before commencement. Please leave your hood at the bookstore. The Bookstore will deliver your hood to the Registrar's Office prior to the day of commencement, and they will arrange delivery of your hood to the ceremony site. You will be hooded on stage during the ceremony. If you have ordered custom regalia or are borrowing a hood, it is your responsibility to deliver the hood to the Registrar's Office.For further information about your graduation, diploma, restricted directory, changes of address, or transcripts, check the UND Academic Catalog or contact the Registrar's Office at (701) 777-3761. If you're a graduate student and have questions about graduation, your program of study, or diploma, call the Graduate School at (701) 777-2784.
NOTE: The University of North Dakota reserves the right to deny the release of a student's diploma if that student has an outstanding accounts receivable balance in excess of $100. Questions can be directed to Student Account Services at (701) 777-3911.