Associate Professor, Psychology
- Visual Neuroscience, Psychophysiology, Psychopharmacology
Dr. Poltavski received his Doctorate degree in Experimental Psychology in 2003 from the University of North Dakota. Between 2003 and 2009 Dr. Poltavski worked as a Senior Research Analyst at the Center for Health Promotion and Prevention Research at the University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences. In this position Dr. Poltavski participated in a number of community-based prevention research projects focusing on smoking prevention and cessation, reduction of childhood obesity, behavioral risk assessment in American Indian populations, worksite wellness and others. Dr. Poltavski joined the UND Psychology Department in 2009 as a full-time faculty member teaching multiple undergraduate and graduate courses associated with biological bases of behavior and conducting research in the general area of psychophysiology and visual neuroscience.
- PSYC 303: Research Methods
- PSYC 330: Biological Bases of Behavior (online)
- PSYC 436: Perception (online and traditional classroom)
- PSYC 437: Physiology of Behavior and Psychophysiological Measurement (online and traditional classroom)
- PSYC 537: Physiology of Behavior and Psychophysiological Measurement (traditional classroom)
- PSYC 594: Neuropsychology (online and traditional classroom)
- PSYC 594: Psychopharmacology (online)
- PSYC 542: Multivariate Statistics (classroom)
Visual neuroscience (relationship between the oculomotor system and attention, cognitive functions as well sports performance), visual rehabilitation in mTBI, EEG and operator workload (athletes, mTBI patients, aviation and ATC operators), transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS)
- Poltavski, D., Bernhardt, K., Mark, C., & Biberdorf, D. (2019). Frontal theta-gamma ratio is a sensitive index of concussion history in athletes on tasks of visuo-motor control. Scientific reports, 9(1), 1-9.https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-019-54054-9
- Ruthig, J. C., Poltavski, D. P., & Petros, T. (2019). Examining Positivity Effect and Working Memory in Young-Old and Very Old Adults Using EEG-Derived Cognitive State Metrics.Research on aging. https://doi.org/10.1177/0164027519865310
- Mills, W. R., Poltavski, D., Douglas, M., Owens, L., King, A., Roosa, J., ... & Weber, D. (2019). A Platform and Clinical Model to Enable Medicare's Chronic Care Management Program.Population Health Management. https://doi.org/10.1089/pop.2019.0053
- Mark, C. A., Poltavski, D. V., Petros, T., & King, A. (2019). Differential executive functioning in young adulthood as a function of experienced child abuse. International journal of psychophysiology, 135, 126-135.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpsycho.2018.12.004
- Bernhardt, K. A., Poltavski, D., Petros, T., Ferraro, F. R., Jorgenson, T., Carlson, C., ... & Iseminger, C. (2019). The effects of dynamic workload and experience on commercially available EEG cognitive state metrics in a high-fidelity air traffic control environment. Applied ergonomics, 77, 83-91.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apergo.2019.01.008
- Poltavski, D., Van Eck, R., Winger, A. T., & Honts, C. (2018). Using a polygraph system for evaluation of the social desirability response bias in self-report measures of aggression. Applied psychophysiology and biofeedback, 43(4), 309-318.https://doi.org/10.1007/s10484-018-9414-4
- Poltavski, D.V., Lederer, P., & Kopko Cox, L. (2017). Visually evoked potential markers of concussion history in patients with Convergence Insufficiency. Optometry and Vision Science, 94 (7), 742-750. Doi: 10.1097/OPX.0000000000001094
- Bernhardt, K. A., Jorgenson, T., Carlson, C., Drechsel, P., Iseminger, C., Poltavski, D., … & Petros, T. (2017). Tracking workload and engagement in air traffic control students using electroencephalography cognitive state metrics. Proceedings of the International Symposium on Aviation Psychology, 518-523.
- Poltavski, D. P., Biberdorf, D., & Mark, C. (2016). Association of Asthenopia with sustained attention, accommodation and encephalographic activity. Vision Development and Rehabilitation, 2(3), 155-169.
- Lederer, P., Poltavski, D. P., & Biberdorf, D. (2015). Confusion Inside Panum’s Area and Symptomatic Convergence Insufficiency. Vision Development and Rehabilitation, 1(1), 46-60.
- Poltavski, D. V. (2015). The Use of Single-Electrode Wireless EEG in Biobehavioral Investigations. In A. Rasooly and K. E. Herold (eds). Mobile Health Technologies: Methods and Protocols, Methods in Molecular Biology, 1256. Springer Science and Business Media, New York. DOI 10.1007/978-1-4939-2172-0_25
- Poltavski, D., & Biberdorf, D. (2015) The role of visual perception measures used in sports vision programs in predicting actual game performance in Division I collegiate hockey players. The Journal of Sport Sciences, 33 (6), 597-608.DOI:10.1080/02640414.2014.951952
- Poltavski, D. V., & Biberdorf, D. (2014). Screening for lifetime concussion in athletes: Importance of oculomotor measures. Brain Injury, 28(4) 475-485. DOI:10.3109/02699052.2014.888771
- Jónsdóttir, H. L., Holm, J. E., Poltavski, D., & Vogeltanz-Holm, N. (2014). The Role of Fear and Disgust in Predicting the Effectiveness of Television Advertisements That Graphically Depict the Health Harms of Smoking. Preventing chronic disease, 11, E218-E218. DOI: 10.5888/pcd11.140326
- Poltavski, D. V. & Weatherly, J. (2013). Delay and probability discounting of multiple commodities in smokers and never-smokers using multiple-choice tasks. Behavioral Pharmacology, 24, 659-667. DOI: 10.1097/FBP.0000000000000010
- Holm, J., Lilienthal, K., Poltavski, D., Vogeltanz-Holm, N. (2013) Relationships Between Health Behaviors and Weight Status in American Indian and White Rural Children. The Journal of Rural Health. DOI:10.1111/jrh.12010
- Mills, W. R., Robertson, S. P., Ogard, K. L., Musni, S. R., Poltavski, D. V., Kendis, D. R. (2013). Hospital Care of Assisted Living Residents by an Assisted Living Based Primary Care Team. Home Health Care Management & Practice, 25(3) 110-114. DOI: 10.1177/10848223|247|340.
- Poltavski, D. V., Biberdorf, D., & Petros, T. V. (2012). Accommodative response and cortical activity during sustained attention. Vision Research, 63, 1 -8. DOI:10.1016/j.visres.2012.04.017
- Poltavski, D. V., Petros, T. V & Holm, J. E. (2012). Lower but not higher doses of transdermal nicotine facilitate cognitive performance in smokers on gender non-preferred tasks. Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Behavior, 102, 423-433. doi:10.1016/j.pbb.2012.06.003
- Poltavski, D. V., Marino, J., Guido J., Kulland, A., & Petros, T. (2011). Effects of acute alcohol intoxication on verbal memory in young men as a function of time of day. Physiology and Behavior, 102(1), 91-95. doi:10.1016/j.physbeh.2010.10.007
- Poltavski D. V., Holm, J. E., Vogeltanz-Holm, N. D., & McDonald, R (2010). Assessing Health-Related Quality of Life in Northern Plains American Indians: Role of physical activity. American Indian and Alaska Native Mental Health Research, 17(1), 25-48.
- Holm J. E., Vogeltanz-Holm, N. D., Poltavski, D. V, & McDonald, L. (2010) Health disparities in Northern Plains American Indians: Addressing Behavioral risks, preventive screenings, and health problems. Public Health Reports , 125 (1), 68-78.
- Vogeltanz-Holm, N. D., Holm, J. E., White Plume, J., & Poltavski, D. V. (2009). Confirmed Recall and Perceived Effectiveness of Tobacco Countermarketing Media in Rural Youth. Prevention Science, 10(4), 325-334. DOI: 1007/s11121-009-0134-0
- Vogeltanz-Holm, N.D., Holm, J.E., White Plume, J., Listig-Lunde, L., Kerr, P., Poltavski, D. , Diers, L., & Alfonso, P. (2008). Youth tobacco use prevention programs: Twenty-five years of research and recommendations for implementing successful school- and community-based programs (pp. 27-89). In M. Lapointe (Ed.), Adolescent Smoking and Health Research, Nova Science Publishers, Inc., Hauppauge, NY.
- Poltavski, D. V. (2008). Gender differences in nicotine research: Implications for smoking cessation programs (pp. 147-163). In M. K. Wesley & I. A. Sternbach (Eds.), Smoking and Women's Health Research, Nova Science Publishers, Inc., Hauppauge, NY.
- Poltavski, D. V. (2008). Need for the use of physiological measures in gender research with adolescent smokers: Lessons from adult investigations" (pp. 19-25). In M. Lapointe (Ed.), Adolescent Smoking and Health Research, Nova Science Publishers, Inc., Hauppauge, NY.
- Poltavski, D. V. & Petros, T. (2006) Effects of transdermal nicotine on attention in adult non-smokers with and without attentional deficits. Physiology and Behavior , 87, 614-624. doi:10.1016/j.physbeh.2005.12.011
- Poltavski, D. V. & Petros, T. (2005). Effects of transdermal nicotine on prose memory and attention in smokers and nonsmokers. Physiology and Behavior, 83, 833-843. doi:10.1016/j.physbeh.2004.10.005
- Poltavski, D. V. & Muus, K. (2005). Factors associated with incidence of ‘inappropriate’ ambulance transport in rural areas in cases of moderate to severe head injury in children. The Journal of Rural Health, 21(3) 272-277.
- Poltavski, D. V. & Ferraro, F. R. (2003). Stress and illness in American and Russian college students. Personality and Individual Differences, 34, 971-982.
- Muus, K., Poltavski, D. V., & Knudson-Buresh, A. (2003). The influence of demographics and health risk factors on cardiac interventions. Health Care Discussions, 6, 24-31.