My research has included understanding and identifying inflammatory mechanisms underlying neurodegenerative disorders for many years. As a graduate student at UND, I utilized a number of approaches ranging from in vitro mechanistic dissection of microglial behavior to in vivo animal drug treatments with resultant behavioral analysis and brain histochemistry and biochemistry. Therefore, I am familiar with assessing microglial phenotype, tissue inflammatory changes, and animal longevity studies. After obtaining my Ph.D, I returned to my home country, India, where I worked as a research associate at the Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology. During this appointment I expanded my research to include neurovirology and inflammatory changes occurring in microglia during virus infections. I rejoined Dr. Combs’ lab as a senior post-doctoral fellow in 2014 and returned to examining neuroimmune changes in Alzheimer’s disease with a focus now on the peripheral immune system.
Current Research Interests: Alzehiemer's Disease, Microglia, Neuroinflammation, Brain-Gut Interations, Gut Microbiome, Intestinal Pathology of AD
- Jurivich D, Manocha G, Trivedi R, Lizakowski M, Rakoczy S, Brown-Borg, H, Multi-factorial attenuation of the murine heat shock response with age, Journal of Gerontology, 2019
- Manocha GD, Floden AM, Miller NM, Smith AJ, Nagamoto-Combs K, Saito T, Saido TC, Combs CK, Temporal Progression of Alzheimer’s Disease in Brains and Intestines of Transgenic Mice, Neurobiology of Aging, 2019, in press
- Kulas JA, Franklin W, Smith NA, Manocha GD, Puig KL, Nagamoto-Combs K, Hendrix RD, Taglialatela G, Barger SW, Combs CK, Ablation of Amyloid Precursor Protein Increases Insulin Degrading Enzyme Levels and Activity in Brain and Peripheral Tissues, Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2018 Nov 13. doi: 10.1152/ajpendo.00279.2018
- Gunjan Manocha, Atreyi Ghatak, Kendra Puig, Colin Combs, Anti-α4β1 integrin antibodiesattenuated brain inflammatory changes in a mouse model of Alzheimer’s disease, , Current Alzheimer’s Research, July 2018
- Joshua Kulas, Jodan Hettwer, Mona Sohrabi, Justin Melvin, Gunjan Manocha, Kendra Puig, Matthew Gorr, Vineeta Tanwar, Michael McDonald, Loren Wold, Colin Combs, In utero exposure to fine particulate matter results in an altered neuroimmune phenotype in adult mice, , Environmental Pollution, in press 2018
- Gunjan D. Manocha, Atreyi Ghatak, Kendra L. Puig, Susan D. Kraner, Christopher M. Norris and Colin K. Combs, NFATc2 Modulates Microglial Activation in the AβPP/PS1 Mouse Model of Alzheimer’s Disease, Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease, 2017, 58, 775
- Gunjan Dhawan Manocha, Angela Marie Floden, Kendra Lynn Puig, Kumi Nagamoto-Combs, Clemens R. Scherzer and Colin Kelly Combs, Defining the contribution of neuroinflammation to Parkinson’s disease in humanized immune system mice, Molecular Neurodegeneration, 2017, 12, 17
- Gunjan D. Manocha, Angela M. Floden, Keiko Rausch, Joshua A Kulas, Brett A McGregor, Lalida Rojanathammanee, Kelley R. Puig, Kendra L. Puig, Sanjib Karki, Michael R. Nichols, Diane C. Darland, James E. Porter, Colin K. Combs, APP regulates microglial phenotype in a mouse model of Alzheimer’s disease, J. Neuroscience, 2016, 36, 8471
- Nagamoto-Combs K, Manocha GD, Puig K, Combs CK, An improved approach to align and embed multiple brain samples in a gelatin-based matrix for simultaneous histological processing, J Neurosci Methods, 2016, 261, 155
- Manocha GD, Puig KL, Austin SA, Seyb K, Glicksman MA, Combs CK, Characterization of novel Src family of kinase inhibitors to attenuate microgliosis, Plos One 2015, 10, 10
- Puig KL, Lutz BM, Urquhart SA, Rebel AA, Zhou X, Manocha GD, Sens M, Tuteja AK, Forster NL, Combs CK, Overexpression of Mutant Amyloid-β Protein Precursor and Presenilin 1 Modulates Enteric Nervous System, J Alzheimer’s Dis, 2015, 44(4), 1263
- Rojanathammanee L, Floden A, Manocha GD, Combs CK, Attenuation of microglial activation in a mouse model of Alzheimer’s disease via NFAT inhibition, J Neuroinflammation, 2015, 12(1), 42
- KL, Manocha GD, Combs CK, Amyloid Precursor Protein Mediated Changes in Intestinal Epithelial Phenotype in Vitro, Plos One, 2015, 10(3)
- Manocha GD, Mishra R, Sharma N, Kumawat KL, Basu A, Singh SK, Regulatory role of TRIM21 in the type-I interferon pathway in Japanese encephalitis virus-infected human microglial cells, J Neuroinflammation, 2014, 11, 24
- Dhawan G and Combs CK, Inhibition of Src kinase activity attenuates amyloid associated microgliosis in a murine model of Alzheimer’s disease, J Neuroinflammation, 2012, 9(1), 117
- Dhawan G, Floden A, Combs CK, Amyloid beta oligomers stimulate microglia through a tyrosine kinase dependant mechanism, Neurobiology of Aging, 2011, 33, 2247
- Sondag CM, Dhawan G, Combs CK, Beta amyloid oligomers and fibrils stimulate differential activation of primary microglia, J Neuroinflammation. 2009, 6, 1
- Dhawan G, Sumana G, Malhotra BD, Recent developments in urea biosensors, Biochemical Engineering Journal, 2009, 44, 42
- 2010 - 2012 ND EPSCoR Doctoral Dissertation Assistantship (DDA)
- 2011 “Young Investigator’s Educational Enhancement” Travel Award by American Society for Neurochemistry (ASN).
- 2010 Summer Doctoral Fellowship by UND Graduate School.
- 2010 A. Roger Denison Award for oral presentation, Role of oligomer Aβ in tyrosine-kinase dependent stimulation of microglia in-vivo, at the North Dakota Academy of Sciences Meeting, Minot, ND.
- 2006 CSIR-UGC (NET) (India) Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) and Lectureship (LS) in Chemical Sciences.
2007-2011 Ph.D Department of Pharmacology, Physiology and Therapeutics, UND
2004-2006 Masters of Science Indian Institute of Technology (IIT Delhi), New Delhi, India
2001-2004 Bachelors of Science Sri Venkateswara College, University of Delhi, Delhi, India
(B.Sc) Chemistry (Honors)
2014-2018 Post-Doctoral Fellow, Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of North Dakota
2013-2014 Research Associate, Laboratory of Neuroinflammation and Neurovirulogy, Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology, Hyderabad, India
2007-2011 Graduate Research Assistant, School of Medicine and Health Sciences, University of North Dakota, ND